What makes a Yoyo collectible?

First off sorry if this is in the wrong thread but let’s get down to the nitty gritty. Alright so I am seeing lots people wanting torrents and old caribou lodge yo-yos but what makes a Yoyo collectible? I mean I get it if it’s that limited edition bla bla bla. But If a Yoyo is collectible why trade it even if you like the Yoyo? it doesn’t make sense to me can someone explain? Also I notice yo-yos that were amazing 2 years ago and now are wanted again. Like I know with some yoyos like the torrent they have become a big deal in the past few months even if they were there several years ago. But what makes that Yoyo popular and collectible again? Also on BST if a Yoyo is collectible why would you want to trade it if it’s a good Yoyo? I’m sorry for this really long rant of questions but I am really curious on to why.

Take the peak for example. It is rare and wanted because it was what started caribou lodge, which is now growing in popularity. Also, people trade stuff that are collectible to expand their collection and try new yoyos.

As for why you would trade it even if you like it…it’s really just a yoyo. People who are dealing with very collectible yoyos usually have quite a few yoyos. One individual yoyo isn’t likely to make or break their collection, and actually, they’re probably trading yoyos all the time for the fun of trading. Hunting down new things and finding a way to get them through trading or buying is pretty fun for a lot of people. That’s what collecting is.

Why yoyos become collectible is a lot more difficult. Provenance is usually a major factor. Like, CLYW’s recent explosion in popularity has rendered anything they did before becoming popular pretty lustworthy. But the interesting bit here is that all it takes are a few people looking for one yoyo type to have a domino effect on the entire market. Once 3 yoyos sell for above market price, everyone else sees those sales and start pricing their yoyo high. Pretty soon everybody wants this great yoyo that is mostly “great” simply because everyone thinks that everyone else wants it.

1 Like

One word: hype.

Many yoyos are purchased today because of hype. Everybody is going off about how great CLYW is, and yes, they’re good, but I think they are so popular because everyone hypes them up so much.

As for why they sell, money has to do a lot with it. When you’re young: yoyos > money, but when you’re older: money > yoyos. Those who have multiple rare high end throws know they can get a good sum of cash if they sold off one of their throws.

The torrent didnt become popular the past few months, it has been extremely hard to find since it released. The guy who made them, only has 1, and had to get it back from his dad because even he couldnt find one. They are also very rare (hard to find), and old, which makes them hard to find from the rarity aspect, and the fact that many are lost in random closets and such.

At first, it was to understand the hype. CLYW and One Drop. Now that I’m pretty much “current” on these brands, I like their stuff and I stay current with them.

The rest:

I don’t care what people think. If I want it, I want it. I buy it. Hopefully I like it.

Are DM2’s all that collectible? Who knows. I have 5. I like them. I got them in different colors. I just need a white one and I’m done with those.

Are Unleashed collectible? I have 6 so I have 3 playing pairs.

Are Aquarius collectible? Who cares. I have 6 and I PLAY THEM!! I think I got the last two “NEW IN BOX” Aquarius in existence. And yes, I play them!! They are of no value sitting in a box looking “MIB” and pretty. I got one in white and one in clear. I love how they look and I love to throw them.

I got lots of other “maybe not so impressive” stuff on my wants list. I want it, it’s collectible to me.

My thoughts are: If I am NOT willing to play it and share it, then there’s no reason to buy it and have it. My son goes through my cases. At club meets, all sorts of people go through my cases. At CalStates and BAC, people were going through my cases. What I buy, I let other people TRY, giving who knows how many kids an opportunity to throw possible “Rare and Endangered” yoyos, and see if their “dream yoyo” is a dream or a nightmare and help them make better “top end” purchase decisions.

At BAC, my kid was using one of my Jet Sets, an Ashira Kamui and an Aquarius before I got him a Go Big(which I was gonna do anyways, he wants one). I had like 20 people try to buy that Aquarius off me. Sorry folks! Not for sale or trade! Someone was surprised that I was letting my kid use an Aquarius. I said, “Why not? He’s into 4A”

If I don’t like it, it has zero value to me. It doesn’t mean the yoyo is bad, it just means I don’t like it and I don’t want it, nothing more, nothing less.

And my collection still grows. I gotta buy a new case this week.

Glad you feel this way! If I want a yoyo, i buy it so I can use it. If a yoyo is going to end up sitting on my shelf, what is the purpose of having it. Some rare yoyos could be worth a lot, but I’m not going to just keep it on my shelf, I’m going to use it.

This hobby appeals to many different people in different ways. Some like to play exclusively, some like to collect, others like to mod or paint or anodize…

Collecting is no less ‘noble’ a reason to like yoyos than playing with them.

Another thing to keep in mind is that collectors are probably the only reason you have such a diversity of yoyo models and yoyo companies today. Without collectors pumping money into the market and supporting the yoyo companies, most of them wouldn’t survive.

Let’s face it, no one really needs more than a couple yoyos really.

4 Likes

The hype surrounding it, mostly. This is true for most collectible yoyos, from the 1950s till the present.

Well last time I saw your collection,…

:stuck_out_tongue:

The answer to your question varies considerably based on the individual collector. I think collecting what is “hyped” only refers to one type of collector, but not most. For instance, a person who collects micro throws, is less interested in the brand or hype and more interested that the yo-yo is small. A person who collects Delrins is less interested in the brand or hype, and more interested in the fact that they are Delrin. The same applies to those interested in collecting YoyoExpert Editions, nickel yo-yos, titanium or wood. Collectors and their preferences vary greatly depending upon their interests. Most people who collect things “specialize,” eventually over time to avoid accumulating more than they should, or to avoid spending on everything hyped. So, collecting for me, has little to do with hype, and more to do with how I have chosen to “specialize.”

For example, you would not normally go to a medial malpractice lawyer if you are getting divorced. You don’t go to a cardiologist about problems with your feet. They are all lawyers or doctors but most specialize and focus on a few areas of practice. The guy who collects whatever looks good at the moment, is more like a general practice attorney, or primary care doctor…never gets too deep into any one area, just refer you elsewhere if it gets too deep. For me, collectability is based on my preferences, and how I have chosen to specialize, not about hype so much.

A YoyoExpert Edition yo-yo is collectible to me, because it is one of the areas in which I have chosen to specialize, and they are limited releases. To many of you, it is just another colorway. I believe in the brand, and the store and what it will be in the future, so I am making an early investment in that area. Also, I dig the look of the colors, and it still allows me to buy different brands too. I am a newer collector (over a year) and thinking of going the route of mostly YoyoExpert Editions, Delrins, Micros, & Titanium. So far, I have been most consistent with YYE Editions and micros.

So, if you have a question about YoyoExpert Editions…call me Dr. TotalArtist or TotalArtist, Esq. For questions about 888s…see Dr. Vegabomb/Esq. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m derailing topics all over the place today, and I apologize. It’s hypocritical of me as it’s one of my pet peeves, but I have to say something.

If TotalArtist isn’t the next Forum Expert, I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

That post was seriously incredibly informative. Heck, all her posts are informative.

I’m sorry, I had to say it. Seriously. She deserves it, I mean look at that post.

1 Like

Thanks, but I’m better at telling you what I think than helping out the beginner yo-yoer. Actually, maybe because I am a beginner yo-yoer. :smiley: Just kidding. Glad you enjoy my posts, as I enjoy yours as well. We all make this forum the best place to learn and hang out. Great group of contributors…the best around. I’ve never posted anywhere else for that reason. Thanks again.

The torrent sat on the shelf of the store that sold them for a few months. They didn’t sell out instantly because General-yo was a new company, even though the yoyo did receive public praise from mgodinez and vendetta, among others. I believe the resurgence in interest in older general-yos is due to the popularity and availability of their newer models.

Okay that makes sense with the desire of a new Yoyo and hype to make it desirable but if people know it’s valuable what sell it and want them to give them a high offer?

This is also a fantastic explanation. You’re so right.

Their newer models are all popular and fairly easy to get, but because the older yoyos aren’t, they become gems of sorts. They’re very hard to find and you’re extremely lucky if you get your hands on one.

I would say its uniqueness paired with long term proven performance. For example the CLYW Campfire. Yoyos from CLYW are now some of the most popular, and owning some, I would say highest performing yoyos out. The campfire is a very small pocket throw…

Specs
Diameter: 48.3mm
Width 35.2mm
Gap: 4.0MM <- not sure if this is correct but can’t find anything to dispute it
Weight: 62.5 grams
Bearing: C-Sized
Response: Flowable Silicone

and being that it is CLYW it is more than likely going to be a very good ,smooth, reliable yoyo. I am sure someone is going to reply and correct me on this one but in this case you simply can’t get a yoyo with those dimensions from a company as highly regarded as them new at this moment. I know this is very specific but this is an example of why I think some yoyo’s are collectible.

To me collectible must be both iconic as well as rare. Something like a ClownTown Peak, or a Bip-Bop Canvas. Both combine an iconic brand, signature throw/performance and rarity. That defines collectible.

Yo-yo’s that are collected by an individual, for individual reasons, are less collectible in the traditional sense. Someone mentioned collecting YYE color-way yo-yo’s. To me, that yo-yo is more collectible to that particular person; but less so to others.

Abby, here’s is Webster’s definition of a “collectible.” See definition #1 as it applies to this context:

: suitable for being collected
: due for present payment : payable

As you see, it’s all subjective, because “suitability” is determined by the buyer. As stated before, it varies, and a buyer determines what they want to collect. You determine what is collectible to you. My YoyoExpert editions are indeed collectible, because they are suitable for being collected. Chuckshort1 also collects them. There is no one yo-yo that everyone is after. There were many mentioned here, that I have no interest in whatsoever. I have no interest in a Peak, and I’ve spent over $400 on individual throws. I would not spend one cent on a Peak though.

I forgot to take a crack at trying to answer why someone might sell a collectible throw. Here are some reasons that come to mind:

1. They need the money, and cannot afford to keep their collection, due to a personal situation or emergency. I see BST posts that people need money for their wedding, or to pay for college costs. It may involve a sacrifice for a greater good.

2. They are giving up the hobby altogether. They lost interest in yo-yoing and all things yo-yo, so they want to cash in their investments and sell their throws. I see BST posts all the time that people are “quitting,” and want to find their throws a new home.

3. They are changing their “specialization.” For example, one day, I might give up the YoyoExpert Editions and decide that I’d rather sell $4000 worth of throws, and funnel that money into a titanium collection instead. Perhaps they are trading one collection, to create another.

4. Some collectors only keep the best of the best. For example, one day I might have 80 YoyoExpert Editions and decide to further specialize in only YYE Editions made by One Drop. So, I’d sell all the remaining ones, and keep the 20 or so that might be One Drop at that time. When collections get huge, you might decide to downsize them and tighten them up further.

5. You have more than one. As someone who deals in multiples at times, I may have more than one and decide that one is enough for the collection. It’s called trimming the fat. For example, I have 2 YYE Edition Summits. At some point I may decide that one is enough, and when you still have one, it never hurts you that much to sell the other.

6. Someone will sell a collectible if it is not collectible to them personally. Someone might sell a YYE Edition Superstar because to them, it’s just a colorway, they don’t have any others in that color. For me, it is a limited release color, with the name of the store on it, and it matches a case full of others I have, and I’d want it. Because a collectible is subjective by definition, the seller may not always know the value it has to someone else. Therefore it’s up for sale.

I hope that helps. :slight_smile: