Quietest Bearing/Throw?

What would you say is your most quiet bearing or throw all together? I’m definitely one of those people that likes my bearings lubed and quiet and honestly kind of a snob about it lol. I’d say OD 10 Ball’s are some of the quietest bearings I have. Dif-e-Yo’s are great bearings but for me have been a hit or miss on whether they’re quiet or not, Center Tracs same thing. Haven’t tried a Pixel or anything yet but I’m looking to experiment with a couple throws. Quietest throw all together that I own would be the Grasshopper GTX. That thing with a little thin lube is almost dead silent, love it lol

6 Likes

in before the counter opinion ‘I like noise because it gives me feedback to the spin speed/length of my throw’ argument comes to the chat.

7 Likes

Lol right? A little hum is fine and inevitable I’ve never had a yo-yo that made zero noise at all, don’t think anyone has (could be very wrong here) but does anyone really like it to where it sounds like mini band saw? If you do more power to ya I say

4 Likes

There was an older thread about this if you wanna skim through for suggestions.

I cannot stand a loud, scratchy sounding yoyo. I’ve traded away some because of this (looking at you, Sherpa!) OD 10 Ball bearings can be the quietest when lubed right, but man, they get ridiculously loud once that lube dries up.

One Drops are generally more quiet than the rest of my collection. It’s hard to say which one is the most quiet… My quietest non-OD throw is probably the Recess Komodo. It’s almost dead silent with a quiet bearing in it. Right now I have an Original Throw concave and they are really quiet and smooth.

4 Likes

Bearings with 10 balls verse 8 seem to run quieter. Some throws just seem to amplify the bearing noise too.

My TiVader seems like it has no bearing!! It’s super quite. I forget what I’m running in it.

I also have Butter that runs super quite until it doesn’t. A few throws later it goes away. It has a center track in it and must have a spec of dust floating around that gets caught in the race that eventually clears itself.

I do prefer a quieter throw but also understand that a little audible feedback can be useful.

3 Likes

My Hydrogen Crash is spooky-quiet. No idea what bearing they popped in that bad boy but it’s perfect. I’m afraid I’ll ruin it if I ever need to take it apart!

4 Likes

i was about to comment, out of my collection, my c3 progressiver is outrageously quiet. it almost made zero noise when i first got it but over time it has developed very faint hum. still impressive whatever bearing they put in it.

2 Likes

I have a “CircleCity-Muse” that is SoOoO dead smooth and quiet that on several occasions I have tricked my wife into thinking it wasn’t spinning :joy:

It has a VIP bearing (10ball -lightly lubed)

I also have a RSO- MechaBapezilla(cracked coat) that came with a Platinum NSK bearing that is SUPER quiet :grin:

I’ve swapped the NSK into other throws and it is definitely one of the smoothest/quietest bearings I’ve used :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

My pixel bearings aren’t super quiet when new, OD 10 balls break in nicely. The bearings that Mowl use are quiet out if the box so far.

2 Likes

I think it overall is hit or miss, but overall the more balls in the bearing the quieter. I love my CTX bearings and they have always been quiet for me! - I also feel like most of my plastics with the CTX bearings are dead silent!

1 Like

All of the below is based on stock bearings straight out of the box:

The original YYF Bettynova was the quietest. The only yoyo I’ve owned so far that was so smooth spinning and quiet that gauging the speed was tricky for me. Left me wishing I had bought a splash instead of a solid. (Edit: this refers to the original. The plastic caps added their own noise).

Every C3 I have tried has been very quiet. All in the $50 range.

ODs have been all over the place from quiet (Thorn) to remarkably noisy (Terrarian).

My assumption is that the shape of the yoyo has a big impact, with bigger, thinner walled designs amplifying any sound.

3 Likes

My deeper state from OD was the smoothest most quiet throw i ever had. It was glass smooth i couldnt even tell it was spinning on the string, i had to learn its spin time

1 Like

No question about it: NSK.

I prefer platinum; but gold is awesome too. Quiet, high-precision, long-lasting and fast. You get what you pay for.

2 Likes

This is what I’ve found too. OD 10 balls are awesomely quiet with lube but soon as the lube starts wearing off it’s very scratchy and sounds like the bearing is eating away at itself. Sometimes lube just doesn’t help with sound though either and you’re like Welp this bearing is just loud oh well lol

2 Likes

I live by that saying! This is the brand I keep seeing I’m definitely gonna look into it

My OD Thorn is the same way after a fresh drop of lube. Not every throw but most throws I can hardly tell it’s on the string. OD is them that’s all I gotta say haha

1 Like

I can conquer as well that the Thorn is insanely smooth and quiet. My loudest OD is my nickel Cafe Racer. Not loud loud but not the quietest throw I own by any means. Loudest yoyo I own is a Freehand Nextgen. Sounds like I’m firing up the lawnmower every throw

Yep I know exactly what you mean! One trick all the sudden it’s deathly loud. Next throw, back to quiet lol. Definitely just particles and dust etc getting in there for a brief second

1 Like

So I just got back into the hobby 3 ish months ago and I had no idea Center Trac now had 10 balls. I’m gonna have to check that out thanks as always Eric!

2 Likes

I keep hearing so many good things about Mowl. They are on the top of the wishlist currently!