Quiet bearings

Greetings,
I get the majority of my throw time in late at night while the wife is asleep. That being said I really value quiet yoyos as I dont want the wife to grow to resent this hoby of mine. What in your opinion are the quietest bearings you own that are fairly easy to buy? My quietest throws are my G2 by a wide margain but I never see those bearings in stock. I do realize that the yoyo design itself can contribute to noise but some of my throws I know could be quiet with a better bearing. My best example is my MMC which will be quiet for an hour after cleaning and lubing the bearing but will get real load again all of the sudden. I appreciate any and all input.

4 Likes

You mean the “boss rage” G2 bearing?

1 Like

Difeyo most consistently quiet for me and I cherish the quiet also.

2 Likes

Yes. That is what i meant to say

Over the years I have never identified any particular that has consistently quiet bearings.

I don’t mean that is true for everybody. And I don’t mean there is no such thing as consistently smooth bearings from certain sources.

I have had brand new bearings that threw down Quiet for 5 minutes. And then literally started Screaming bloody murder!

I’ve had bearings that squealed for 10 minutes while I insisted to run em until I killed them. Then they got quiet🤔 by some miracle.

Hit and miss for me.

I will tell you one thing. My girlfriend really wears me out when I am throwing a loud yoyo in the house.

When I do land on a really quiet bearing; It is pretty common for me to change over to that bearing if I switch to a different yoyo.

There are some pretty good bearings available today.

Guess I haven’t tried enough of them🤓

8 Likes

See thats the situation that really drives me crazy. A bearing is super quiet for a while then the next throw flips the loud switch for no apperent reason.

3 Likes

NSK bearings tend to be the most quiet in my experience. They’re produced with higher QC which makes them more consistent than other bearings. YYF Gold plated Center Tracs and Platinum/Gold DS bearings are made by NSK. They’re a little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

7 Likes

It’s been hit and miss for me, but I’ve had most consistent results with buddha bearings. YYExpert flat bearings are pretty darn quiet too.

2 Likes

Every bearing will be quiet except for the ones with manufacturing defects if you lube, clean them, and keep them in good condition. CLYW, Turning Point, and YYR throws are usually pretty quiet. I’ve only tried one g2 throw so I can’t rly have an opinion on that…

2 Likes

I don’t think this is quite right… as @YoYoExpertGarrett pointed out there is variability in the manufacturing, so some will be “naturally” quieter than others. All you can do is get a bunch and pick the best (quietest) of the litter, or buy fancier brands with less variability due to better quality control.

In short, once you land on a bearing that happens to be extra quiet, keep it around!

I’d also say thin lubing becomes essential if you value quiet in a bearing.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input. Every time i get a new bearing I immediately clean and lube it using the “hyper spin” method you detailed in another post. Works great for the most part but this OD 10 ball im trying to quiet down just refuses to stay quiet for any appreciable amount of time after maintanance. I did just order some higher end bearings so we will see were that gets me.

2 Likes

:+1: my man … my main man

I think there’s just normal variance even in the same brand, and a bearing like that you gotta swap or replace.

It’s like I keep telling @smileypants707… the solution to all life’s problems is “more yo-yos”. As in, more yo-yos to swap bearings with…

4 Likes

I’ll let you tell my wife…

4 Likes

Brilliant. Ill tell her that the next time a new yoyo shows up in the mail.

3 Likes

luuuuuube

2 Likes

NSK bearing, another reason to get the Edge Beyond :wink:

I just so happen to have an edge beyond. They do seem good so i ordered a couple a few days ago. We will see how they work in my other throws.

I have messed around with putting the bearing in other yo-yos, still very quiet. See if you wife likes the beautiful sound of Ti. Might be a good excuse :joy::+1:

1 Like

She has yet to complain about any of my ti throws. So maybe thats a good justificstion to get more titanium in my collection. She’ll understand im sure.

The quietest bearing I ever got came in a MYY Avocado. Did you know a bearing can be too quiet? I didn’t. It was so quiet it threw me off. I couldn’t tell how fast it was spinning. The speed that it returned to me when I binded was a surprise. I put that bearing in one of my icebergs.

I bought another avocado and it wasn’t the same case… Actually it was the opposite.

2 Likes