Overwhelmed with your amount of yoyos?

When I said she gets a bunch of yoyos it means that I order a bunch of yoyos and get them shipped to her in the usašŸ˜…. She gets them to me in bulk in india.

3 Likes

oh haha I see now! :smiley:

Spoken like a true engineer. That guyā€¦

6 Likes

love ya @Grendel

1 Like

To answer the original question, not really.

Honestly I think this thread took way too long for someone with a big collection to speak up about how much they actually enjoy having more than ~20 yoyos.

I havenā€™t taken an exact count in a while (im probably approaching 150+). Yea, itā€™s a lot and I could definitely spend some time and do an audit on the ones I enjoy less, but I enjoy having a variety. I have various throws of all types; ā€œcompetitionā€ type throws where I can push limits, organic/casual yoyos that have unique and enjoyable feels, semi/responsive for certain tricks and fun, fixed axles and the like because the style is one of my favorites, loopers because who doesnā€™t want to loop like Shu, designated 5A yoyos, and of course a 4A yoyo or two because it is also fun.

I may not play with them all on a consistent basis (there are yoyos I have that havenā€™t been thrown this year at all), but ive never felt overwhelmed about it. I just throw whatever yoyo I feel like. I have favorites, but donā€™t want them to be the only ones I have.

Downsizing a collection has some benefits though. It can reduce the variety of feels while encouraging you to hone and advance your technique. It can help against choice paralysis because less choices. But it is also less fun. I like my current collection, and know that I will like it in the future even more because ill have even more great yoyos to choose from.

This is how I enjoy the hobby of yoyo. Honestly half the time I just pick up the yoyo I have located in my convenient play spot(s) and have fun. Id rather not think about how much $ I invested to get here, but I love yoyoing and it is something that gives me joy in a way that can counteract the daily grind.

12 Likes

One thing I donā€™t see brought up often is that itā€™s pretty common to just enjoy having a collection of any physical media in general.

If you buy a physical movie or game or music, you paid the price of entry to enjoy that content once, which will only be 1-10 hours (maybe more for some games) worth of enjoyment. Lots of people accumulate large collections of physical media and only consume things once, but still enjoy keeping them around to have available if they want to enjoy it again, even if that might not be for years. Thereā€™s no reason why having a yoyo collection canā€™t be viewed in the same way.

That said in the same way I only want to have yoyos I play at least somewhat often, Iā€™ve gotten rid of almost all of my physical media because they were just things that sat on a shelf and I realized Iā€™d touch most of it maybe once every few years, if ever. Having large collections of stuff isnā€™t for me, but thereā€™s definitely a big appeal to having a library of stuff available to enjoy whenever you want it in the future.

9 Likes

Our Brains are Wired to Collect Things

Iā€™m not sureā€¦but I think heā€™s calling us magpies. We like to collect shiny objects.

8 Likes

all I can say isā€¦ yes?

11 Likes

Had anyone gotten with you on this? If I lived nearby Iā€™d do it ASAP. Lord know one could flip that for a ridiculous amount.

2 Likes

@yoyodoc manages that, and the rest of moā€™s own insane collection. it was a cool transition, and in the end it was what was best for the group. moā€™s a good dude, heā€™s got itā€¦

9 Likes

If he opened a museum, Iā€™d pay to visit for real. Road trip!

6 Likes

You mean a ā€˜Mo-See-umā€™?

7 Likes

Thereā€™s the national yoyo museum in Chico, CA at Bird In Hand if you wanna check that out!

4 Likes

Oops! I forgot to count those, lol

Several of my yo-yos are on display in the National Yoyo MuseumšŸ¤“

5 Likes

If you likeā€¦ wanted to take them backā€¦ could you? lmao

3 Likes

That is fun and addicting yoyos are just too fun for a simple creation with unlimited possibilities

3 Likes

Iā€™m a little overwhelmed with the amount sometimesā€¦but Iā€™ve only started playing again about half a year agoā€¦so I kind of feel like Iā€™m still trying to figure out my preferencesā€¦so I keep adding to themā€¦ (Which is why I currently have 6 of them on the way to meā€¦)

8 Likes

Technically he could, but it would surely involve knocking out the guards, scaling the wall to the roof, descending through the air ducts and, of course, getting past the laser grid.

Ivan

2 Likes

A couple weeks ago I had quite a few I didnā€™t use, and it was getting to me a bit, haha. Just recently sold around 9 in two bundles, as well as gave away another 8 approximately, and now I sit at a comfortable 12. Heck, I could probably still be happy getting rid of some other ones, especially as I have my eyes on some new releases coming soon. If you couldnā€™t tell, not much of a collectorā€™s mentality here!

5 Likes