Outside sponsor

I think you’re being a bit silly now. Go back to your potatoes

Yoyo is not an extreme sport. Not remotely the same.

3 Likes

i know its not hence why i said “extreme” but it is a peice of metal flying about on a string. i wouldnt call it an extream sport but it is marketable in my eyes and it is dangerous. have you seen bloody faces because of people getting hit in the face with yoyos

Come on. Yo yo is not remotely dangerous by any reasonable definition of the word.

4 Likes

I might consider calling it exotic sport or something but definitely not extreme nor dangerous.

3 Likes

I accidentally stabbed my palm with a pencil when I dropped it and was picking it up while writing an essay.

I guess writing is pretty dangerous

5 Likes

I’ve spoken to probably a dozen different people at Red Bull over the years, and the answer I always get is “we prefer to produce our own events rather than sponsor others”. They obviously seem to make exceptions for this, but they tend to be of the massive event variety, and we are absurdly small by those standards.

A brand the size of Red Bull has a lot of moving parts. A lot. Every event they are involved in means a few dozen people get something added to their workload. Something the size of Worlds just isn’t enough of an impact for them to justify that expense. It’s not even a matter of the money…the amount of money we ask for Worlds is nothing compared to what Warped Tour (RIP) or X-Games or something similar would ask for. It would cost them more in man hours to do something meaningful at Worlds than it would cost them in actual dollars, and it’s pretty easy to do the math and see that their brand is worth waaaaay more than ours, and they would literally just be paying to step down and lift us up. That’s not their business nor their responsibility.

So when people say “Why doesn’t Red Bull sponsor Worlds” the question we should be asking is “How do we make Worlds big enough to be worth sponsoring to Red Bull?”

15 Likes

I’m surprised given the scale they don’t have a “petty cash” fund for super minor sponsorships like this where $5000 or whatever is basically the cost of a single paperclip to them?

It is tricky to do assurance though, due diligence to make sure the furries conference they just sponsored doesn’t tarnish the Red Bull brand or whatever :wink:

3 Likes

I’m not sure it is healthy for me to have laughed that hard.

2 Likes

same i laughed so hard at the pencil joke.

1 Like

okay that makes way more sense then “extream” but my point still stands. brands like monster redbull and that sponser edgy events sometimes. i know steve said stuff about redbull but theres still plenty of brands out there

1 Like

Bro yoyo isnt edgy at all idk where you’re getting these ideas from. People can get hurt from anything

3 Likes

Seriously. I think it takes effort to convince the average joe that you aren’t just playing with a kid’s toy.

8 Likes

We are just playing with a children’s toy though…

3 Likes

I already had this debate (more on your side tbh), and in some cases I agree. In other cases, I would hardly consider a $100+ unresponsive yoyo to simply be a child’s toy. Nor would I consider any of the championship competitors as mere children. I learned how to ski at 9 years old, but as a 31 year old I find myself taking a week’s vacation to go enjoy it. Both child and adult can enjoy the sport, but I wouldnt consider skiing to be childish just because an 8 year old can weave down the mountain. Show me a juvenile who can compete on par with Evan or Takeshi, and I might be on board.

1 Like

It is and isn’t a childrens toy. It’s a toy for all ages now. Gotta move past that.

2 Likes

But… All m’goodboys love tendies with mussy and dewy. Mummy says keeps my healthy frame heavy.

Mickey Takeshi and Hajime won worlds as basically kids. They are also the greatest players to ever come from their respected divisions. Also how old was Shinji when he first won? Not sure, but that might be a 4th kid, also the greatest to ever come from their division.

That’s besides the point though I know what you guys are saying :grin: I definitely understand the argument

1 Like

To bring in an Outside sponsor the target audience would need to be defined to a prospected advertisers. Reb Bull and Moster have an EXTREME image to sell cans of high octane caffine and surgar. Coke-A-Cola has had Russell yoyos for years. Geritol has been a proud sponsor of the Lawrence Welk show for decades. What is YoYo selling that I’m not already buying?

2 Likes

That rock n roll lifestyle.

4 Likes

There are a few Pro Yoers with great hair like @AndreBoulay and @Gentry_Stein . Hair products are always selling a lifestyle, promoters should hit up Head and Shoulders and other Procter & Gamble products.

6 Likes