sponsorship?

So I know that when you get sponsored you get paid with throws, but do you get any money at all from it? And how often do you get the yoyos? Do you get like 2 a year, or like 10?

And if you are offered to be sponsored, you say yes right away right?!

You get occasional packages from the company, maybe with gifts, pre pros to test etc, it really depends. Money no, but flights and accommodation at times.

And only if you like the company’s throws offcourse, there’s no point playing for a company you personally do not enjoy but if you do, yes deffinately

What if they’re a company whos yoyos you despise?
Would you say yes?

The other stuff, no idea

Depends on the company.

Oh ok, so of Duncan or something tried, I would probably say no, but if clyw or OD or yyf or something asked, i would say yes. How old do you have to be? (not saying im going to get sponsored ;))

No.

Rarely. Only the biggest companies like YYF and CLYW will sometimes give royalties to team members who have signature yoyos. Some YYF players get money, but that’s for going out on tours, etc.

So it’s very rare that you make any money at all from yoyoing with a sponsorship.

Are you kidding me haha? You do realize that this isn’t some rule all companies follow. You HAVE to know it would vary from company to company. Most companies don’t give you any yoyos at all, you have to buy them yourself. Some companies like CLYW will ship off a few yoyos a year to their players, mostly for Christmas, things like that. Some companies give discounts on their yoyos to players so they don’t have to pay full price.

If you believe that you are a good fit for the company and the company is a good fit for you; you have the same values as the company and vice versa, you actually like the yoyos the company makes, and you’re willing to do things for the company and be a good member of the community, then yes.

I highly doubt you would actually turn down a sponsorship from Duncan if they offered you one. Please.

Dude for real?

Wouldn’t look forward to it.

Honestly this thread is one of the worst I’ve seen in a long time. You ask your questions like every single company follows the same rules. Every single company is so different in how they go about things, it’s pretty much impossible to answer these questions because the asnwers are so different. I understand that you’re curious and all but you ask it like every company is the same. They aren’t.

2 Likes

I have seen that the case is:
If you want sponsorship and are asking for it, the odds are you’re not going to get it.

You want to be sponsored?

Practice. Get better. Improve. Constantly push yourself. Be self-motivated to improve.

Love what you’re doing. If you don’t, it will show.

Compete. It helps but it isn’t necessary. It does help a lot. If you don’t attend, find ways to attend events where you’ll be seen by the right people. Contests are good ways to do this. My son is already starting to get eyes on him from 3 companies as someone with serious potential. However, his desire to compete or not will come from him as I will not push him to compete. I will say that he will be at Nationals with me and he won’t be competing, but he will be playing.

Videos. Make GOOD videos.

Help others. Share your knowledge.

Know who you want to be sponsored by. Have some alternates in mind. If there’s a company you don’t want to be sponsored by, know that too.

As crazy as it sounds, I’ve been offering sponsorships from smaller companies. I’ve turned down these offers, mostly because I don’t feel like dealing with any restrictions. Plus, consider this: I will not ever compete in any way and I ain’t gonna make videos. I do a lot of the other things. If I like what I use, I talk highly of it. If I don’t like something, I get quiet about it. However, with so many yoyos that I have, I can’t be vocal about everything.

About the only sponsorships I could accept would be string companies, but even so, it would merely be symbolic as I’d still buy the strings because I’m supporting small business. The other option would be a store that allows me to use whatever the heck I want to use.

So, that narrows things down to three stores that could sponsor me, and 2 string companies. These are all places I purchase from and like their products. Sponsoring me doesn’t benefit them.

I like being a “free agent”.

For me, it’s not about getting sponsored. It’s about the enjoyment is brings me. I won’t let anything get in the way of that.

1 Like