Now, first off, I want to say that I don’t want anyone saying “oh, great, another one of these threads where somebody asks to get sponsored.” I don’t. That is the reason for this post.
Most of you on the forums are trying to get sponsored aren’t you? I have to say that I don’t really want to get sponsored (I am saying this so that people don’t start bugging me about sponsoring me). Sponsorship has it’s advantages and disadvantages. I find the disadvantages a heavier thing though if you know what I mean:
- Some companies cover your yoyo expenses
- Some companies may help cover the cost of (if not pay for all of it) entry fees to certain contests
- Popularity. I don’t really want to be a big popular person that is in a ton of videos and is in every big contests and always places.
- Other players. I don’t want to get stuck on a team with a bunch of jerks, slobs, show-offs, etc. that only look like nice people in videos or while performing, etc.
- Contests. I don’t want to have to go to all these contests just to support my company. I also don’t want to have to use whatever yoyo I am told to. I want to use whatever I want (even if it is from a different brand from the one I am sponsored by).
- Signature throws. I don’t want to take part in making a signature yoyo for myself or somebody else that I/they don’t even like. It would, if I made it for somebody else, make me really mad/upset at the person I made it for. It would, if I was making it for myself, I might make the company upset along with all the other people who helped (I also don’t want it to be a waste of my time).
Now, I have said this. The #1 reason I don’t want to get sponsored is popularity. I would like to win worlds/nationals some day but that would make me popular. Even if I finish in the top 5 or so, that would make me somewhat popular. If this happens, I have no control over popularity anymore so I wouldn’t mind being sponsored then.
I mean no offense to all the people who are sponsored or represent a company on the forums. I just don’t want to get myself into something that I won’t like.
Sponsorship may be for some of you on the forums, but to me, I don’t really want to get sponsored. I hope nobody is mad at me or anything like that but just take these notes into account when you are about to be sponsored.