Sponsorship

I’m Joey’s biggest groupie. Joined DS just to be closer to my hero.

shrill girly yelling JOOOOEEEEEEYYYYYYYY

Back on topic: I don’t believe a “vast majority” here are actively seeking sponsorship–that’s a skewed fact you pulled out of nowhere. Sure, I’m willing to bet that a lot around here would enjoy being sponsored, but they don’t go around looking for it.

i dunno man, i think its pretty alright.

2 Likes

Imagine if you, like, woke up one day. And you were Gary Oak. That’s probably a pretty similar feeling to being sponsored. I gotta say. It’s pretty sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWi4Ce5yRVo

2 Likes

This reminds me of MANY conversations that I have had with musicians. The lime-light isn’t for everyone but at the same time, if it doesn’t matter then there is really no reason to even bring it up. I was a touring musician for more that half of my life and the last 4+ years of that journey I HAD to do it because it was the only way that I could put food on the table. No offense but you kind of made an old Kurt Cobain remark, “I don’t want to be known or popular. I just want people to leave me alone and let me do my thing.” Honestly if that is the case then quit showing people, do it because you love it or quit doing it because you are just trying to show off. Some of the best musicians in the world are the people that just play in their basement and only jam with close friends because they love the music.

IMO I don’t think sponsorships grant as much to the player as you think. While the brand might be allocated to specific players, it wasn’t Duncan that made Steve Brown or Hank Freeman popular. I’m sure that Duncan helped pay for them to travel and do demos but their abilities, dedication and ability to impress as well as spark the imagination is what made them popular. A good example is Jensen Kemmit. Everyone obsesses over this dude regardless of who is sponsoring him. The sponsor didn’t make him that popular. The fact that he is really good and has a persona that people enjoy watching is what made him popular. Swag is nice but you would still have to prove yourself in order to receive anything more than a few stickers or maybe some string. It isn’t like you wake up one day, get sponsored and turn into Justin Beiber. It takes a lot of time and dedication to even reach a level of exposure where people give a damn about you. The player typically promotes the brand and the brand helps pay for the player to do so.

If you don’t want to get sponsored or put the effort into doing something then there is really no point in talking about it. Like GregP said, most of us don’t really care about getting sponsored. I yoyo because I have a blast doing it and it is a great way for me to take a break while I’m working on a project. I love to yoyo because I like to meet new people and learn new things. If in the future my networking leads me into a different direction then at that point I will decide where I want to go. I don’t think I have actually talked to a single person in the community that really does it because they are looking to get sponsored. Yes, some of them just want to compete and that is a completely different motive but in the same mindset, sponsorship is a bonus to the competitive aspect. Sponsorship allows them to compete on a larger scale (like you said with paying admission).

I’m finished ranting. I’ll let everyone else chatter away

Yes, but if I actually support and help the company, there is nothing wrong with getting free stuff.

I mean I guess I can understand that some people feel restricted when they are sponsored, but overall my sponsor has been great. Im thinking there are worse teams to be on though, square wheels’ team is really great.

Im not gonna lie id like to be sponsored because it just seems like it would be awesome but if i dont like it fore some reason I can always quit

I go to club with Tyler Severance and Clint Armstrong, and Harold was there before his school started (so until Worlds). Tyler and Harold are big competitors, always practicing for their next contest or putting stuff together (unless they are teaching little kids that come by and seem interested, which Tyler does a ton. He sells them velocities and gets them started with a little trick book, and they always come back next week :D)

But Clint doesn’t compete much. He is sponsored, and appears in some videos, but mostly hangs low. He also buys YYFs, unless they have a spare B-grade. He doesn’t seem to take much advantage of the free stuff. He is very humble. He also teaches me like 3 of his tricks every week (he makes tons of great tricks).

Easily one of my favorite 1A throwers, even if I prefer Harold’s style.

Nothing to say on Tyler’s throwing because I don’t understand 5a much, but he’s a super nice guy.

But Clint is someone I look up to.

Oh yeah, and I would love to be sponsored and get a signature colorway. It would be the best colorway evar.

1 Like

So you made a whole thread to say you didn’t want to be sponsored?

okay.

5 Likes

I find that those of you who want to get sponsored, find my disadvantages, to be more of advantages to you. There is nothing wrong with this. Just pointing this out.

Your answer to Number one is the same one I have gotten 3 times. “What is wrong with popularity?” I don’t want to be some superstar who can’t take a step with out somebody (particularly girls) to go nuts over me and crowd me so much I can’t get to my destination. Say I go to worlds, everybody knows me and goes gaga over me and I can’t make it to the stage for me performance and get disqualified. That probably won’t happen but it is possible.

Moving on to Number Two. I never mentioned a whole team would be jerks or something like that. Maybe if just two or three of them are. It still wouldn’t be fun. Also, how would I know if the people are jerks before I take the sponsorship and start hanging out with them?

Now, to Number Three. These are very good points. But, from what I have heard, the company decides which yoyos you throw at which contests. I want to avoid that. I wouldn’t mind throwing a yoyo from the company I am sponsored by (most likely) but I may not even get to choose which one I want.

Number Four. Making a signature throw might be fine and dandy. I know it would be my dream throw but what if it turns out that I don’t like it as much as I expected? What if I totally hate it? That would make me almost look bad. As for making them for other people, it really wouldn’t be their signature throw, but more like a throw made for them.

These are good points. They also help me see why sponsorship seems better than it is. It still does not seem to be the thing for me though.

You do have some valid points, but there are some flaws to your statements.
1-No one actually goes THAT crazy to see their favorite thrower
2-You can always decline a sponsorship
3-About signature yoyos, companies always make PROTOTYPES before making full production runs, so if there is something wrong with a yoyo, it can be easily fixed.

It’s cool to see things in a different perspective, but I got to put out my thoughts again :slight_smile:

Your answer to Number one is the same one I have gotten 3 times. “What is wrong with popularity?” I don’t want to be some superstar who can’t take a step with out somebody (particularly girls) to go nuts over me and crowd me so much I can’t get to my destination. Say I go to worlds, everybody knows me and goes gaga over me and I can’t make it to the stage for me performance and get disqualified. That probably won’t happen but it is possible.

Most yoyo players(and fans) are guys, so you won’t really have a problem with girls crowding you… There will be a few, but not nearly enough to crowd you and block you from your destination, and even if there are girls, they aren’t like fans of singers were they go crazy…

Moving on to Number Two. I never mentioned a whole team would be jerks or something like that. Maybe if just two or three of them are. It still wouldn’t be fun. Also, how would I know if the people are jerks before I take the sponsorship and start hanging out with them?

If you don’t like someone, ignore them, don’t talk to them much unless you have to. If it’s really that bad, just leave the company and end your sponsorship…

Now, to Number Three. These are very good points. But, from what I have heard, the company decides which yoyos you throw at which contests. I want to avoid that. I wouldn’t mind throwing a yoyo from the company I am sponsored by (most likely) but I may not even get to choose which one I want.

Not necessarily… As long as it’s their own yoyo, you can use whatever you want for a huge majority of the time. Sometimes if a yoyo is released near or on the day a contest begins, they may ask and want you to use that yoyo, but you might not be required to. However, there are sometimes that they may make you use a throw, I believe they had the team members of OD and CLYW to use the Summit at the contest it was released, but I don’t know if they MADE them use it. I don’t see much of a problem with that though to be honest, it’s a small favor to ask. If you have a signature though, they might ask you to use it. Again, I’m not sure if they will MAKE you use it. But, I don’t see much of a problem with this either. Take Zach Gormley for example. He has a signature yoyo, the Arctic Circle, but he’s used other yoyos at contests. I believe he used the BVM2 once or twice this year. But, I don’t see much of a problem if you had to use your signature yoyo at contests either. If it’s your signature, you made it, you should love it, and not have a problem with using it at contests.
And consider this. There are some sponsored players that rarely or never compete, they just make videos, which is totally cool. So if you don’t like to compete, that’s fine.

Number Four. Making a signature throw might be fine and dandy. I know it would be my dream throw but what if it turns out that I don’t like it as much as I expected? What if I totally hate it? That would make me almost look bad. As for making them for other people, it really wouldn’t be their signature throw, but more like a throw made for them.

Trust me, your company will work with you making a signature yoyo. If you really don’t like the first one, they will try to change it. But, if you are already sponsored and are getting a signature yoyo, you must already be crazy good and know exactly what you like in a yoyo. So, I doubt you’ll hate a yoyo you designed. You may want to tweak it, but I doubt you will hate it. Your company will work with you, and will make 3 or 4 versions if need be. And to be honest, if you don’t want a signature yoyo, you don’t need to have one, just tell them so.

Indeed. Someone needs to shrink their head methinks

I love being sponsored :smiley: I get to represent my favorite company and be on a team with some of my best friends in yoyoing.

Thats why i want to be sponsored. To represent a company i love!

Also, what Ed said, it just makes you happier and makes the hobby a tad more fun!

“What is wrong with popularity?” I don’t want to be some superstar who can’t take a step with out somebody (particularly girls) to go nuts over me and crowd me .
[/quote]
You don’t have to worry about this unless you have my looks. :wink: Anyway, I believe being sponsored would be awesome, you meet more people, hang out with friends, and you get free yoyos. I think ed hit it perfectly.

I’m fine with people wanting to get sponsored. If it’s for the right reasons. I would say that most wouldn’t care about the free yoyos. I think people just want to say they accomplished something, or support their favorite team in the world and maybe just have some fun. But hey, dreams are dreams right? If you try hard enough you have a good chance.

I thought the list of “disadvantages” was interesting. I doubt that those are a given in sponsorship arrangements. I can imagine many sponsorships do not involve a person becoming popular, or being on a team of jerks, or being forced to compete, having to use only one brand of yo-yo, or having a signature yo-yo. We might imagine many situations where none of that is the case.

So, I have to ask you, if none of that was the case, would you be cool with representing a brand that you are excited about, so long as it works for you and the company? I can imagine that kind of sponsorship arrangement exists quite often.

What are your thoughts on that? :-\