Sponsorship

Oh, sorry. Haven’t been active much until these last couple days so I don’t really remember much about rules and stuff (thought saying it about myself was all right, silly me) :smiley:

Thanks for reminding me about this though and sorry for my behavior.

P.S. ‘I am such a dodo bird’ hahaha mods love the change ;D

This thread is getting blown out of proportion.

Hahaha! No problem xD

Dodo bird__

1 Like

Zorro, this is ridiculous. Why would you not want to be sponsored? All the “disadvantages” you said were…stupid. Im just say this thread is pointless, and I think most of us would enjoy being sponsored.

3 Likes

I agree, however I believe you could have done this in a less insulting way, and there are some people in the community whose goal is not to be sponsored but to have fun. Being sponsored would be nice though

2 Likes

Really? You don’t know what your talking about…

You said and made a thread about why you wouldn’t want to he sponsored. And then say, out of the blue, Being sponsored would be nice tho…

Really?

lol.

I wouldn’t say that this is ridiculous. His points are valid and have value. Of course many of us would like to get sponsored, Zorro did not disagree. Zorro is simply pointing out the advantages of being an indie versus a sponsored player.

For me, I would need to be sponsored by a certain company. I don’t want a company that will be breathing down my neck, checking every 30 seconds if I’m strictly using their yoyos. I want to be sponsored by a respectable company, I have to be able to get along with the majority of the crew, and, of course, love the yoyos and the brand.

1 Like

Still, a terrible reason to make a huge thread talking about why he doesn’t want to be sponsored. And if you want me to be honest, nobody cares if you are or not sponsored.

This is just us going back on forth on this isn’t it. :smiley:

Anyways:

1. No, but it may be just enough to cause me from not getting from destination to destination without getting bumped into.
  2. Yes, but I won’t know anything about the people or stuff like that until after I have joined the team. Correct?
  3. Yes, but I still would not like to have signature throw that I don’t like even if it is a prototype. If I don’t like it, I won’t want it. True, they can be fixed but I would like my company to have to work the least amount as possible to make me a yoyo that I don’t even like.

That wasn’t me saying that. That was Raptor T.

This is me all over. If I could find a company that is like the one you mentioned in the second paragraph, sign me up. :smiley:

I would, of course, like to use whatever yoyo I want.

#1: Not all sponsorships are equal. Some come with bigger perks than others

#2: Once sponsored, your actions both online and in real life reflect on the company

#3: As a sponsored player any recommendation you make regardless the sincerity level will be subject to scrutiny due to the fact that you are sponsored and “may be persuaded or motivated” to make said recommendation

1 Like

Apparently, he made a whole thread talking about just being sponsored.

You guys don’t like that, I can relate.

But then you guys waste your time making long posts, complaining about why you don’t like this thread.

Ironic, isn’t it?

2 Likes

On my way to Nats with JD, I talked to Ben Conde and Keiran Cooper about sponsorship. I didn’t bring it up, Keiran just asked me why I love YoYoJam so much, but any-who the conversation led up to sponsorship. Now, before I had that conversation, a YoYoJam sponsor had been my dream, after that conversation, I just wanted to have fun and wait for sponsorship to come to me. Dot stress about sponsorship guys, just work hard, build your name and have fun. And if you don’t want a sponsor, that’s cool, just keep on lovin what you like to do.

2 Likes

Read this, I copied it from a website called MrYoyoThrower.com. I hope nobody is offended that I used it but this is some of the stuff I was talking about, just worded better:

Believe me, you don’t want to get sponsored.

“Are you crazy? Of course I want to get sponsored!”

I hear this a lot. My first response is…why? What’s in it for you?

“Free yoyos man!”

Really? A few free yoyos?

1. Being sponsored is a job. You have obligations, deadlines and tasks. The company expects you to work for them! You have been sponsored as an advertising agent. This takes effort and time that you could be spending having fun yoyoing. Companies generally look at two main areas in a sponsored player. Contest wins and Internet activity.

2. Regular production of videos showing off the product. This may be something you love to do, but when it’s final exams or that big project at work is due, and you need to put out a promo video tomorrow, it can turn yoyoing into a job. You need to be constantly pushing yourself to make up or learn fresh material. Are you sure you want to commit to monthy finding a cool place to film, and having fresh material to film?

3. The Internet. You are expected to spend time daily promoting your company on the Internet, in forums, on Facebook, the works. You are no longer free to talk about how much awesomer (yes that’s a word) another company’s yoyo is, your job is to show the world that the only Yo-yo they need is the newest one by your company.

4. You only ever get to use their gear. Want to show off the cool new yoyo you got that’s perfect for your style? Sorry, you can’t. Want to enter an online contest where you have to make a video using another company’s logo? sorry, you can’t.

And you are doing all this for a couple of free yoyos? That’s a terrible idea!

So why do people chase a sponsorship? I have met a variety. I have met many for whom representing a company and promoting them is a joy. I have been In a room with someone who got sponsored, then sat in a room talking about the company and their piece of crap yoyos, then refused to use the company’s gear on stage. I have also yoyoed with someone for whom it was almost irrelevant that he was sponsored, he just loved to throw.

Obviously there is the prestige factor “I’m super awesome, I’m on team yoyo tiger snake and you aren’t sticks out tongue.” I’m kidding, I have yet to meet anyone in the yoyo community that thinks like that, and I don’t expect to, it’s one of the joys of yoyoing. Having said that, it is cool being on a team.

It does lead me to the reason I enjoy being sponsored. Being part of something. Humans are community animals. We like being part of a tribe. Being on a yoyo team means you have people in your court. For me personally I like the promoting ‘work’, that’s part of the fun for me, and far less a job. I honestly don’t think I would have done nearly what I have, or gotten to where I am on my own.

So yeah, being sponsored isn’t all bad. But it’s not a goal worth aiming for, unless you think that thee work will be a joy for you. It’s not worth it for any other reason. Find your passion within the yoyo world and enjoy that, and if you get sponsored by a company you can stand behind and enjoy being a part of, all the better.

In regards to the above post, every sponsorship is different. There are sponsors who are like that where you can’t even mention another yoyo or must not post any pictures or videos of you using any other companies yoyo. To me that’s too extreme and I wouldn’t want to be on a company like that. I love all yoyos from a bunch of different companies ranging from a $10 plastic to a $150 metal and I generally enjoy yoyoing. I am sponsored by an amazing company who makes yoyos I absolutely love and is owned by someone I consider a friend rather than a boss. I am allowed to play other brands and have a collection of other yoyos. That’s why I am happy with Deadly SpINS. I make videos cause I love showing my new tricks not because I am forced too. I can throw my Rally, Wrath, Pride, Supernovas, Gambits or any other yoyo because I have hands and I’m allowed too. No one should be able to control what you play with…If they do then maybe it’s not the right fit. Kind of my 2 cents!

-Joey

Thanks for the input! Good stuff. By the way, I don’t think we’ve seen a Gambit video yet?

You may be sometime! Maybe even some more Gambits :wink:

sorry I meant to quote yoyo 143’s response

my bad