Other hobbies, passions, interests?

I would have said the same thing two and half months ago, but I have a partially severed nerve strand in my right thumb that says otherwise…

Ah yes, that moment you realize that a yoyo can hurt you. Always be cautious, and remember:

S A F E T Y T H R O W

If you feel like your last bind wasn’t clean, throw cautiously to insure that it didn’t snag. Then execute a bind that you know is reliable (like the basic front style bind).

There are tons of ways to bind a yoyo, And none of them are 100% reliable. Especially some of the more elegant laceration style binds.

Everyone gets a dirty bind from time to time.

BUT, remember: if in doubt, safety throw. Nobody wants a yoyo to the face.

3 Likes

Lolol! Back in the day I learned why not to walk the dog on your sisters head.

2 Likes

Yea, I imagine that could result in hurting you… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Glad to see there are a few other mountain bikers around here :metal:

<That’s me on the left, holding my friend’s helmet/bike so he was in the photo, not just taking it!
37122063_10216734103810839_6645036382324523008_o

I’ll likely be traveling to West Virginia again for Dirt Fest next year (pictured above) but primarily ride local trails south of Buffalo. Mostly XC type of stuff, but loved the technical trails at Big Bear.

3 Likes

Those enormous tire bikes (on the far left) are freaky, man! Are those common in regular woods / trail use? I thought they were more for beach and sand riding?

3 Likes

Not my bike - but extremely fun and that one has a carbon frame and actually almost 10lbs lighter than mine (similar to the silver one in the center, as mine is obstructed by the enormous fat bike).

But yes, sand/mud/snow are the most common ways, since the goal is more surface area, so they loose some agility in the technical, fast trails.
Going back to where we all live - Buffalo - he’ll get more use out of his bike, if he wants to ride it in the snow.

4 Likes

Sometimes I feel like I have too many. One of my most enduring passions is heavy metal, and I spend a lot of time going to local death, doom, black, and heavy metal shows (been to hundreds and still counting). As per the hobby, I collect metal cds, vinyls, and cassettes, and lately ive been really into making quality cassette recordings of vinyl. From there comes an interest in vintage hi-fi and (modest) audiophile equipment.

Ive been riding ATVs and dirtbikes since I was a kid and still have a Honda 70, XR250, Yamaha WR450, and a Suzuki z400 sitting in the garage when I want to go for a rip.

Someone else mentioned skiing, and yes, also a huge passion of mine. I spend most of my time on the northern east coast (US) and love skiing off-piste and in the trees.

Always been an avid reader as well. Primarily classic sci-fi and the occasional horror, but ive recently got over my fantasy hump (dont kill me but I never cared for LOTR) and have been enjoying that genre as well.

I also used to be big into anime/manga, but my interest has sort of waned over the years. Otherwise im big on the classics like Gundam/Macross and have even built a couple gunpla.

4 Likes

Another metal head! :fist:

2 Likes

Old punk and hardcore and by that I mean pre-1989. I saw a bunch of bands on this compilation (1988) back in the 80’s. Glorious stuff!

https://youtu.be/bkKs_2yjJdY

3 Likes

Damn, would have loved to have seen some 80s hardcore back in the heyday, but being born in 87 didnt really make that possible, lol. I went to a few underground punk shows back when I was at Rutgers, but nothing compares to the 80s for punk.

Speaking of NYC, ill be there on friday night for the Suffocation show.

2 Likes

Rutgers! I grew up in Rahway! I’ve lived in Pennsylvania since 1978. All things NJ hold a place in my heart. Probably why I love Weird NJ magazine. Have fun at the show!

I love Stephen King novels and have read 6 of the Dark Tower series. Gotta get the rest…

That’s pretty cool man! My other main hobby is speedcubing, which I compete in on a regular basis.

1 Like

Now I have to look up what speedcubing is! On it!

Basically really fast Rubiks cubing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have recently discovered an appreciation for kendama. RIP my knees

2 Likes

:joy: It’s where you solve different types of puzzles like Rubik’s cubes but much faster and stuff. there are different types of events

1 Like

Ive been really loving Cardistry and have been spending most of my spare time manipulating, cutting and flourishing decks.

If you have never seen cardistry before, feast your eyes on these gems!

3 Likes

What is this wizardry. People are nuts man, mind - blown

1 Like