Other hobbies, passions, interests?

Hey guys! So I was wondering, what are some other big passions of yours? We’re all related in that we love to yoyo, but what else do you guys love to do, possibly even more so than yoyoing? Me? I got very into pen turning, which is more or less machining pens on a lathe. Along with that, I’ve always been an avid weight lifter, and I regularly compete in power lifting competitions. Hoping to win nationals for my weight class this year or the next! But I figure you guys might be more interested in the pens haha, here was one I turned on the lathe the other day. The whole pen was cut from a resin rod, and threads were cut into it for the cap and nib. Took close to 6 or so hours!

7 Likes

Very cool dude!! ^^

I recently started a job working in car audio and have always been a bass head. Now I get to go face to face with some nasty big systems and some amazing and insane cars getting worked up. Very cool and gratifying.

I play didgeridoo and was nearly famous for many years. I performed in music fests for a while before settling down and giving up the big flashy, always traveling life.

Im an object manipulationist by heart. I toss and contact juggle. Spun poi professionally for a long time. Fire poi was a big part of me getting my foot in the proverbial door of being on stage for some big acts. I also dabble in Buugeng (curved “S” staves), kendama, pen spinning, and begleri.

I made chain maille armor and jewelry for a decade before retiring from that craft/business.

but mostly? These days, I just yoyo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really enjoy woodworking. I have a small wood shop and make pieces of furniture and turn items on the lathe. I’ve never tried turning pens but have considered it on numerous occasions.

I enjoy dog training. I adopted a dog that was going to be euthanized and have really enjoyed training her to behave properly and now we are working on the fun things, like tracking!

Mountain biking and dh mountain biking have always been fun and soon I may actually pursue certification for teaching dh.

Skiing is my true passion though. Love it! I’ve only missed a few weeks since I was twelve years old, and as noted in a recent thread, that was some time ago. Teaching skiing is also something that has been of more and more interest to me in recent years. I really enjoy teaching skiers of all ages and abilities.

Dirt bikes and quads. Live to ride baby! :wink:

Bowling is love. Bowling is life. It’s all bowler now…

But seriously I have a 640 series high, and a 269 high. I’ve broke 200 at least once every year for the last 3 years.

Man, I feel pretty boring haha. I’ve been a bike kid my whole life. Got into BMX at a young age on a police auction Diamondback but my parents couldn’t afford to get me to many races so I got into dirt jumping, eventually street and park. Got into MTB once I could afford it, and still love it, but I’m a pretty die hard roadie these days. Not racing this year but I’m getting the itch again. Also ran 5 and 10k competitively and did pretty well at the amateur level. I still run a couple of races a year.

1 Like

Espresso - made my own grinder.

3 Likes

I’m really into hiking/backpacking. Tentatively planning a thru-hike of the Colorado Trail next year between Nationals and Worlds :smile:

@yoyospirit that pen is so rad!

4 Likes

I’m heavy into embroidery. I also love ping pong, though I wish I could play more.

4 Likes

i’m down for chess and playing any board games anytime, i also love to ski, explore, and eatFOOD.

4 Likes

big casual Dominion guy here. Also like learning computer science related things but haven’t been doing that too much this summer break :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’ve recently gotten into begleri, and juggling, which i enjoy a lot. I’ve also dabbled in other hobbies as well like, paracord, making videos, photography, fossil hunting, playing the clarinet, cooking, swimming, shooting sports, or at least I was into shooting sports. I was in a shooting club but, I aged out so now i need to find a new club that does the Civilian marksmanship program or find a college team.

1 Like

same :no_mouth:

1 Like

Jeez a lot of replies in a short time haha

2 Likes

Origami (although I haven’t been consistent about uploading new photos for a while)

Board games, but not “fun” board games. I prefer games with little to no luck that are usually economic in nature and take 3+ hours to play. Most of Splotter’s games, for example, as well as Age of Steam are near the top of my list, plus things like 18XX games. Some puzzle and dexterity games also entertain me, such as Set, Ricochet Robot, and Crokinole. Others include Zendo, Through the Desert, and Go.

I also play video games, but usually older ones as I am a “patient gamer”.

I used to juggle a lot, but that kind of fell through the cracks when life got busier.

2 Likes

I enjoy drag racing, cars, photography, videography, graphic design, and anything tech related! headsup1

Sweet pen mate!!! that is soo cool!
I have always loved music first started on piano even though my parents knew I would be a drummer someday when I was young. I loved the piano but I always had a thing for taping on EVERYTHING! XD so eventually when I found out piano took too much studying I feel in love with hand drums with how few rules it had and how much freedom you had in the beat. well loving percussion when I got bored one day and yoyoing wasn’t sounding amazing I thought that day, ~robot dancing is cool youtube has everything lets see if they have any tutorials!~ they had almost non!!! to my surprise cause you tube has everything how can they have so little on a crazy cool style of dancing! little did I know robot dancing is a substyle of the father style Popping. Thus my obsession (and cause of this being my first post in 2 years on these forums) no every now and then will yoyo dance! (as my friends and family call it) I also write poems here recently and also randomly picked up the rubix cube! so I have claimed the most talented person in my family by a long shot! :smiley:

I draw and paint and make art zines. A link to my art site is in my profile. I read a lot of books too. Everything is on hold now due to my rekindled passion for throwing that grew over the summer.
Added 10/10/18: comic books, graphic novels, a little harmonica, making zines, reading Stephen King books, writing, taking care of a feral cat (Buddy), drawing, painting, taking photos of street art in my town as well putting up street art…

1 Like

I make animations and I voice act. I don’t want to be famous for it, though.

3 Likes
  • Science fiction, fantasy, and superheroes (books, movies, comics, games, etc.).

• Board games and roleplaying games (including designing board games and constructing playtest prototypes myself).

• Graphic art/illustration (useful for the previous thing mentioned) and digital vfx.

• Drawing, sketching, inking, and calligraphy.

• Mechanical keyboards and custom keycaps.

• Musical instruments (electric guitar, oboe).

• Computers in general and writing software in particular (my day job).

• NASCAR and iRacing.

4 Likes