New metal Duncan Butterfly!

If you mean full C bearings for responsive, then yes. Half C bearings can work well. I believe I make some that work well.

Recycling… wood?

3 Likes

It’s interesting to see you call so many things overpriced when you sell $90 plastics.

While I may not be interested in your throws due to my preferences, I respect what you do and haven’t said anything negative about your pricing because I understand the work that goes into them.

I would’ve just thought that you would be a little less harsh on other companies price points considering your work and your pricing. I know what you do is very different from other companies but still. People are very understanding of your prices I would think you would be a little more understanding of other people’s prices.

I agree $50 is a little much and I think that $30 would be a good price. $12 though? Come on…

6 Likes

Yeah I totally get that. There are much cheaper plastics out there that perform great at a much smaller cost.

My $90 really isn’t crazy all things considered. The Onedrop Cabal is around $60 and produced in far less time. The nature of hand turned is what drives the price high. Take away my shipping costs and the price of one of my plastics are $75 dollars.

When they can produce them easily in large quantities in China, I do expect a lower price. I don’t apologise for that.

$12 is not crazy. There was a metal YopYo model sold for $13.99 and even came with 2 bearings. Not to mention the plethora of other China made yoyos sold on other sites for under $10 Australian dollars.

Given that the name ‘Butterfly’ is put to this yoyo, I presume they are perhaps expecting to potentially sell huge quantities of these in the coming years. Huge quantities means cheaper prices.

1 Like

Duncan is also not a one man show doing it for little to no profit without employees or player and contest sponsorships along with other things. It’s a business. They need to make money. Not just for themselves but for everything they support.

I’m just saying that not just Duncan but other companies you have criticized may have more reason to price yoyos at the price they do than you or I may realize. Someone who sees a SW plastic on a website selling for $90 without all the details would think that’s absurd as well when you yourself know that it isn’t.

And Origin is $30 not $13. And I think the Topyo “metal” you are referring to is the Mojo, a plastic.

6 Likes

Sorry, I meant the Creator. I edited my post.

Yes I think you’re quite right. There could be a lot of reasons for their prices that I have no idea about.

I totally agree. It looks crazy which is why the finer details need to be read.

Even with all the info, my prices will still appear crazy to most.

3 Likes

I agree with what you said especially mentioning when a company like Duncan also sponsors other players, and also contributes money to competitions like World Yoyo, US Nationals, Japan Nationals, etc. They help keep the yoyoing community alive, and help make these competitive events come to fruition. Kudos to Duncan and other yoyo companies that do these kind of things.

1 Like

I guess you could look for a piece of metal tubing that is the same size (same inner diameter) as the bearing centre and mount it in place of the bearing?
edit: you would need a proper metal saw to cut it to the right length to match the bearing width or get the gap size that you want.
edit 2: you might have issues with the response. Maybe fill the rest of the bearing gap with flowable silicon?

Yes. Luftverk bearing blanks.

lftvrk_bb1 lftvrk_bb2

Also, Soulfuel Skilltoys makes wooden bearing blanks for various bearing yoyos.

7 Likes

How does one obtain these Luftverk bearing blanks?

2 Likes

They are here at YYE

4 Likes

Okay, so now that I know of a way to “convert” any yoyo (that accepts a half-spec bearing) into a fixed axle throw, what kind of yoyo is best suited for conversion to fixed axle play? And by “what kind”, I mean size, shape, weight, etc.

2 Likes

Narrow, High-walled, evenly weight distributed, lighter yoyos works best.

4 Likes

This looks to me like a “Duncan Sherpa”, but priced $5 lower.

Of course, we can see how popular the Sherpa turned out to be (tons of them still in stock and they are literally giving them away with other Basecamp purchases). I guess Duncan is expecting the Duncan name to carry the day here, as the general design itself doesn’t seem to have gained much traction in the marketplace.

4 Likes

The tourney is very good. I’m still on the fence with it because there’s many great throws here, but it’s very good

2 Likes

I used to be on the Yoyofficer team with Owen whose signature is the Tourney. He was with YYO for approximately 5 minutes. Lol. He was brand hopping up to Duncan, I think.

3 Likes

I’m not really hyped for this. I think this throw is oriented to nostalgia and collection instead of perfonmance itself.

1 Like

Hey all!

Thanks for all your thoughts about this yo-yo, whether it’s negative or good.

Price point being $50 - We only made 250 of this. This is the smallest batch we made. That’s why the price is a little bit higher.

We can easily price it for $30 or even $20 if we manufactured 1,000-1,500, but it’s a yo-yo that we want to keep a small batch, and possibly a one-time release.

I will reply here later after worlds! Much love!

23 Likes

Thanks, Bryan, that sheds a lot of light on the yoyo. Thanks for your response.

7 Likes

Thanks for the extra information bryan!

Also #1 this yoyo is super cool

#2 i like your bi metals you guys have made them very good and a lot of them.

2 Likes