Need bearing help

So I got my b grade atlas, been using it, and it started to get really loud sounding. I think it just needs to be lubed, but I don’t know. Help?

3 Likes

Check this out. Also you can find your answers on youtube for lots of videos.

2 Likes

I’ve had yoyos where the bearing is quiet at first and then a day or even week later suddenly gets louder. I just put a tiny, extremely small drop of thin lube in the bearing and that solved it. Of course, check out the info above too. I think since a new yoyo has been kept packaged and enclosed and in the same environment (humidity level, etc.) for awhile then when introduced to new environmental conditions ie. your home, the bearings and whatever lube is in there can be effected. Also, maybe some junk got in the bearing. My theory about environmental conditions may have no basis in reality or maybe it does. Yesterday afternoon I was throwing outside and it had rained an hour before and the air was still sticky causing a lot of weirdness with the string especially with multiple string wraps in the gap. I put the yoyo back in my pocket. This shows how the environment affects the yoyo.

2 Likes

I put some thin lube on it (not yo-yo lube though) so hopefully will work.

2 Likes

There’s nothing magic about “yoyo” lube. It is repackaged stuff readily available in the retail chain. It’s a small, niche market so no one is going fund the development of a lube specifically for yoyos. As a case in point, yomega brain lube is repackaged super lube, readily available in the hardware store.
superlube

2 Likes

Just be sure you don’t over-lube it. New bearings have a break-in period, and sometimes get loud temporarily, often get a little responsive too. Some bearings have factory grease that takes a little time to settle in. So give it a few throws and a little time before deciding to lube or clean.

1 Like

It’s all good now, it just needed some lube!

2 Likes

Whew! I was waiting to hear how this turned out! Thanks for the update. I love hearing good turn-outs / news in this day and age!

2 Likes