Suddenly loud bearing

Greetings forum members.
I’ve had my DM for a little less than a month now, and so far it’s been pretty okay. Yesterday after I gave it a strong throw (it didn’t hit anything, no alerting sound or something like that) in the next throws and general play, the bearing suddenly became really really loud (It rattles if I spin it with my hand). I doubt that it’s lube, since I used thin lube on it, even probably over used it a bit, and that shouldn’t be enough time for it to wear off…
What should I do? What does this mean?

Regards,
Balamis

I’m not going to tell you to use the search function like a bunch of people probably will. Just grab yourself a safety pin or a needle of some sort and pry off the c-locks, deshield the bearing on both sides, and put it in a glass jar with some lighter fluid. Swish that around for a good 5 minutes, pull the bearing out of the lighter fluid and stick it on a pencil tip and spin it with your finger for I would say 10-15 minutes, take the same needle and put a single drop of thin lube on it, and touch one of the balls on the inside of the bearing with said needle once. now again spin it for around 10-=15 minutes, pop the shields and c-locks back on and put it in your DM. The bearing might still be a bit responsive but as the lube works itself in it will become unresponsive again. Now, I am not going to say this will mae your bearing quiet or anything BUT it will clean it pretty thoroughly and regardless of how loud the bearing is, you know it is clean and taken care of thus, no worries :smiley: Hopefully this helped, if you have any questions regarding the removal of the c-locks or shields, PM me.

Thanks for that :smiley: But I am familiar with the process of cleaning a bearing…Though you said it doesn’t even ensure that it’ll be quieter…I made this post to ask why did it become so loud all of a sudden? I mean, it’s REALLY loud, and it became so all at once…

EDIT: Just wanted to point out, it seems that the bearing still plays well. I’m just intimidated by what this rattling noise might mean.

just lube it ;D mine was like that :wink:

As said in the main post - It was lubed, probably over lubed, not long ago (I play less then a month, and I lubed it in the middle, and used too much…Would lube really wear off in a matter of a week or 2? I highly doubt it) and I don’t want to just use more lube when unnecessary to get it more responsive…

what do you do if you used too much lube? Clean the bearing as I stated and DON’T over-lube it again, my bearings get loud at times, for a few weeks even, it isn’t a big deal. I don’t quite understand why so many people are so upset with a non-silent bearing, sure they are nice if they are silent but, I mean what do you gain from a silent bearing? The opportunity to become a yo-yo ninja?!

Seriously, just clean it, re-lube properly, and break in the lube, you will be fine.

It’s not that it’s annoying that it’s loud (it is, because it’s really loud, but that’s not the point) it’s just that it’s alarming, since it might mean something’s wrong with it, and I’m asking what…It was over lubed for a while now, it’s not new, and it got better, spun longer and quieter and smoother, and then all of a sudden, right after one throw, it became super loud, to the point when if I spin it with my finger I can hear it pretty much as loud as I would’ve heard it with a strong throw. Why would cleaning solve this? How does it relate?

When my bearings get loud, I take a pindrop of yoyojam THIN lube on a needle, and put it on a ball in the bearing. If it’s still loud, I clean it.

I think the reason why bearings get loud out of nowhere is just some random particle in the air or a frayed part of your string happens to get lodged in the bearing. A lot of times when my bearing gets loud, I unscrew the yoyo and find a really thin thread stuck in it. If I’m easily able to pull it out, I do, but if I can’t, I normally just throwing it for a while eventually gets it quiet… though it’s probably a good idea to clean it anyway.

The loudness is fine. Don’t worry about it. Your bearing broke in, there’s no lube. You can or you cannot add lube. Lube makes it more responsive. It takes down the sound. If you don’t lube it, your bearing will be fine. At least for a year… I only tested till now.