Most underrated and overrated yoyos.

facepalm

Haha. Well there ya go. :slight_smile:

I think the YYR Triad is underrated, I think people are scared off because it’s a high end plastic but it’s the single best plastic I’ve ever played and truly beats out many of my metals.

1 Like

I just think half a dozen isn’t a lot, and it depends on the credibility of some of the reviews too. I think a review is only as good as who gives it. I think when you’ve played it, you’ll see why I was flirting with it making the list. I don’t have a complaint about the price really, but it sure was kind cool to get 3 full sized Titanium Dreams, 3 aluminum versions and 3 plastic versions, a total of 9 yo-yos, and some gold CTs for less than one Dazzler. :smiley: Maybe we’ll start a petition on that Yuuksta, it’s just a nice stable little player, and cute at that. I want to see a comeback.

yeah it’s one of my favorite YYF for sure, although I haven’t tried many.

Overrated: Yeti; personally, it is a really great plastic yoyo but nothing more. I do not think they are the best yoyo ever like some people make them out to be.

Underrated: Cyborg; this thing is epic

1 Like

Yeah, I was just saying that the Dazzler seems to be a little underrated, but overrated at the same time. I don’t think that to many people has actually played it to form an opinion :-\ The price, the material, and the facts that YYR made it, is what’s making it seem like it’s overrated.

That could be the case. Price, brand and material can create expectations, even in the subconscious. They made several runs, so they’re out there, but not making as much noise as I’d expect.

From what I have thrown, the most underrated is the Hatchet 2.

That yoyo is Excellent and no one talks about it.

1 Like

The first time I tried a shutter, it was when my friend left the room and I went into his case and grabbed something that looked cool ;D. I wasn’t aware of any of the hype either. However, I feel that players who want their first budget metal who are exposed to the hype are pretty likely to immediately spring for the shutter.

Alien galaxy is by far my favorite yoyofactory colorway, and probably my 4th favorite colorway ever. I wish they made more throws in alien galaxy.

I got your theme park reference too, I actually liked that analogy quite a bit :).

Definitely agree. Ricochet spins forever and is very stable with great string presence. It plays full size while being undersize.

Part of me wants to say Spin Dynamics Flow and Monkey Fist are under rated as well, but, it just could be there arent that many out there. The Monkey Fist is amazing, the thriw used when Nick set the Iron Whip record. I don’t get that kind of performance (maybe someday if I keep practicing hard), but, the yoyo isn’t holding me back. Plus, it grinds so well it almost feels like cheating.

I rate the Flow right there with the Dream Titanium, Too HOT, and Cypher for performance. This was my first metal throw, it holds a special place in my heart, and lets me do any trick. Great weight, spin time and grinds.

Are you sure you’re talking about the Draupnir? The thing weighs 64g, plays light and fast and certainly isn’t dead smooth from my experience. It actually sounds like you’re describing the complete opposite of a Draupnir… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m definitely putting putting the Yoyofactory Cyborg out there as the most underrated throw in recent memory in my opinion. One of the best yoyos I’ve ever thrown in terms of play, performance and comfort, it’s a masterpiece. I can’t believe I almost didn’t buy one myself until I came across a good deal on the b/s boards. :-X

Personally, it was the colourways that put me off. If they had Galaxy/Alien Galaxy-ed it then I would have bought one right away, but I really didn’t like the only colourways that it originally came in (though I’ve grown to love that purple/silver/green splash over time). I’m not sure if this was the issue for anyone else, but for me it was the colourways that held me back.

I’m also going to throw in this little fella to the ‘underrated’ department:

http://www.yoyo-canada.com/v/vspfiles/photos/one%20drop%20yelets-2.jpg

Now don’t get me wrong, I can understand why the Yelets isn’t flying off shelves. It has rather polarising stats and I’m sure many people aren’t willing to take a chance it for $85 solid or $100 splashed (I know I wasn’t, I only got one because I won it off Totalartist). That being said, it’s a truly unique little yoyo and it’s a treat to play with.

I really don’t like smaller throws, I like my yoyos as stable as possible, and I don’t really like narrow ones either… yet I just adore the Yelets and it’s one of my most-played yoyos. I don’t entirely understand it myself, there’s just something about it that just works.

Granted, it goes without saying that with such a unique shape and dimensions, it’s not going to win any stability awards. However what it may lack in forgiveness it makes up for in nimbleness and quirk. In a world where lets be honest, a lot of new throws coming out are fairly similar, the Yelets is something genuinely different. I think it needs more love. :slight_smile:

It’s light but rim weighted, the opposite of Phenom which is not rim weighted but heavy. Rim weighted yoyos feel clunky when thrown regardless of the weight, almost like looping yoyos with wide gap setting (loops heavy and upwards), try it with a 900 or something.

Once it’s spinning, it’s light to move around, only it’s heavy to “start the spin”, hope that makes sense. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t like using excessive force to get the yoyo to spin “too long”, I like it to spin just enough to end my combo. The catch is, it’s technically difficult to go fast from the start without using too much force to spin the yoyo; either use less power but with less initial momentum (start slow), or have more momentum but the yoyo had to spin excessively (start fast but the yoyo had too much rpm to comfortably return the yoyo at the end of the combo).

With less rim weighted yoyos like most Yoyojams, I can throw fast from the start without translating much of the throwing power to spin the yoyo -that is the yoyo reach the end of the string quicker-, I can move fast from the start and not having the yoyo spins too fast for a comfortable bind.

Maybe it’s just machining difference but the one I tried had zero vibe, and by that I mean literally I almost can’t tell if the yoyo is spinning.

Now that everything has been said, I won’t say it’s a bad yoyo on itself, it’s definitely plenty capable and if I had to use it on a contest or something, I’ll definitely do happily. It’s just that when pretty much everyone said it’s THE best yoyo ever, and then it’s not, suddenly it seems really bad.
Sorry for coming off a bit negative on that one, I’m just kinda ticked off with all the hype.

1 Like

Both of mine are smoother than any other yoyo I have thrown.

Overrated: pretty much all clyw yoyos because most are really good

Underrated: Werrd Tre, swyyc Rockefeller, general yo prestige, stuff like that

All the Clyws are overrated.

I don’t think there can be done extra with 6061 over 70$. Like it can be light or heavy. Big or small. Wide or narrow. That’s it. All Clyws are 150$ or 120$ they are 6061.

True definition of overhyped is Clyw.

And underrated.

Its a thing no much people acknowledge.

Many people’s favorite yoyos are 7075 but they don’t acknowledge it.

Krown. Nomad. Primo. Cyborg 2.0. Valor. Fruiture. And many more.

Or basically anything 6061 yoyo over that 70$ or near mark is overrated.

If its 7075, bimetal than it can be justified.

1 Like

I can’t see why people are so shamelessly desperate to get a Yeti…

No, I haven’t thrown one. But I honestly can’t imagine it being anything other than just another ok and capable yoyo; not the best thing ever.

2 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Recently got my hands on a Lava and a Nifty from Yoyofficer. There is never much talk about that company and I think the Nifty is one of the best throws I’ve thrown.

(I’ve thrown a wide array)

1 Like

Turning points are 6061 and 150-180$…

That being said they are ungodly smooth and play and feel fantastic. I’d never pay retail but still the play is fantastic.

Back on topic…

Overrated: Summit, it’s very good just not great. Maybe it just didn’t fit my tastes.

Underrated: sleipnir. This is the best monometal aluminum… Period. If you haven’t used one I’d do whatever it takes to get one.