Most Under-rated Yoyo?

First off… I understand ‘underrated’. But that being said; I would like to know(based on the diversity of answers in this thread so far) if people can consider 3 different twists within a similar vein?

1. Underrated

2. Under appreciated

3. Under mentioned

As I said; based on some of the responses; underrated might not be the correct description.

For example; the Draupnir. It is not underrated by the people that own or have thrown one. And it is not under appreciated by those that own or have tried one. But because not that many people actually ‘own’ Draupnirs, it may be ‘under mentioned’.

There are some people that ‘might’ misinterpret under appreciated/mentioned with underrated.

Because a bunch of people may not constantly mention or discuss a certain Yoyo, does not necessarily mean the Yoyo is underrated.

Technically you can only truly underrate a Yoyo if you experienced the Yoyo in motion.

The Hspin NVX is another good example. A responder mentioned he felt the NVX was underrated.
Without taking a poll, I would still have no problem drawing an educated guess that the majority of current active forum members not only do not own NVX yoyos but have never even thrown one and some not even heard of one.

So it can’t be considered ‘underrated’. Few have functional knowledge to give the NVX any rating.

It is simply under mentioned.

If the OP would be willing to lend some Clarity to his specific understanding of ‘underrated’; I think the responses would be more accurate.

I will start with my example.

The SPYY Ti. It is an Amazingly good Titanium Yoyo. But I would not really consider it underrated because not that many people own one.

And because people are under appreciating it, it is under mentioned.

And under mentioned and under appreciated do not resolve into underrated.

Any thoughts?

The ‘rating’ of any specific Yoyo should only be a conclusion based on personal experience with that Yoyo.

1 Like

I see what you’re saying, and yes, I admit to doing that entirely on purpose to see what kind of response I would get, and I’ll be honest…I love the diversity of this entire thread. It really shows all the perspectives all kinds of people and opinions, glad you brought this up :slight_smile:

Semantics are fun.

I definitely see a difference between under-mentioned and under-appreciated. Not seeing as much distinction between underrated and under-appreciated. I think both would require you to try it before saying “yeah, yoyo X is under-appreciated/rated”. You couldn’t evaluate if it’s underrated until you’ve tried it, for sure.

Because I skimmed through the posts and saw that that most people have joined in the last year or two. And I said that because I wanted to be a part of the conversation, but knew that people really couldn’t have a discussion about the Nvx so I’m just throwing my opinion out there not really expecting people talk about it. So its more like I’m just calling myself out.

Figuring out the semantics of the word underrated just feels extremely petty to me. OP probably just wanted to see what kind of yoyos are out there that aren’t really known/talked about for its performance and trying one out for himself. He worded it “Most under-rated yoyo” because its simple and starts a discussion.

There are oodles of yoyos out there and there is absolutely no way there can be enough people that have tried them all to have a meaningful discussion about “which one is the most underrated” so you can check off #1 on your list. 2 and 3 is what OP likely meant when he said “underrated” but who really thinks about the exact meaning of the word when you’re making a post? On your resume yes, but on a forum about your hobby? Not too likely…

My first thought was the same, Metal Replay is flipping Lit, very under rated tho. It could be a tad bigger to be more similar to the plastic Replay, but, it didn’t have to be so they didn’t do that. It’s really good tho. It’s my everyday carry.

For me its a toss up between CLYW’s Gnarwhal2 and their Puffin2. both are fantastic, but rarely mentioned or shown. Def underrated imho.

I feel like most throws that are “outdated” are very underrated.

I think old and outdated are 2 different things. Outdated yoyos are not underrated, their designs are not modern and can’t keep up with the yoyos of the today, which is why they’re considered outdated :stuck_out_tongue:

I do agree that some older yoyos are underrated because they’ve lost their hype over the years.

Would you consider a metal yoyo with pad response outdated or older?

Depends. If it’s undersized with a high wall it’s outdated. You rarely ever see companies make undersized yoyos nowadays, 53, maybe 52mm is as small as it gets. And you pretty much never see new yoyos with high walls. There are a few exceptions but none of them were designed from a performance standpoint.

The OD Project was one of the best yoyos out there when it was first released but by today’s standards, it’s just a fun undersized yoyo. You could say it’s still great for an undersized yoyo but that’s not really saying much.

For those people who like fingerspins:

I have tried quite a few yoyos with “centering abilities” or just look like they will be decent at fingerspins. Some are pretty good, others are so so. But one that I never hear of that is by far the best one I have ever used is the c3 move. For me it is instantaneous. The yoyo so far seems like a great yoyo but I never see it mentioned really anywhere…

I find the C3 Railgun is insanely crazy for fingerspins guys…absolutely insane!
But, I don’t think its underrated or under appreciated and under mentioned!

Agreed.

Also the SPYY Dynamo.