Moonshine

I hear you, I am a huge solid color fan. Something there is something simple and elegant about it. Splashes are cool but they tend to obscure the lines of the yoyo.

I have to say it was not love at first throw for me with the Moonshine. It just felt really weird to me. Then I got more used to it, and started to like it more. Then it started to become unpredictable on the response, mostly that there would be a delay. Made it not ā€œMoonshineā€, or stall very well at all.

I tried lubing the bearing, but that didnā€™t really help. I admit to not having any official yoyo lube, but I did have some thick oil. Then I tried some different strings. To my surprise, cotton didnā€™t help. I was going to try some Candy Wires, but saw my tube of Venom. I tried one of those, and bam! Now Iā€™m back to STM, Lunar Landing, Stall fun! I suppose I should have tried the string that came with it! :-/

It still feels a bit odd to me, and I realize now that itā€™s the C size bearing. This is the first yoyo Iā€™ve played with a 1/2 spec C bearing to make it responsive. I canā€™t help but think this yoyo would be better with an A size bearing, at least for responsive play. I may be crazy, and get yelled at, but I think this thing might be the bees knees with an ad-justo-matic/speed dial or whatever like the 401k!

I am really enjoying this yoyo, though! Iā€™ve been playing it every day since I got it. Perfect for my pocket.

Totally agree with the A sized bearing statement, I thought the same thing!

What has happened to A sized bearings? I really like metals with small bearings, was always my preference.

Yeah, Iā€™m actually somewhat curious why they didnā€™t go with a A size bearing.

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s so they could do the half spec.

A renegade sized bearing could have been really nice for responsive play.

Still, I am thoroughly enjoying mine with the large bearing.

Maybe the next version could have a smaller bearing and a wood axle sleeve!?

Then they could know for sure it wouldnā€™t sell!!! ;D

so are yall playing more with full spec or half spec bearings?

Iā€™ve got all three, setup in 3 different settings. But Iā€™m playing (and beating up) my bronze with half spec bearing the most ;D

I put the full spec in once. I liked it, and have no complaints about the C size in that setup, but I have plenty of yoyos that play that game. Iā€™m using the 1/2 spec, and thatā€™s what made me think about an A size bearing.

Maybe Iā€™ll try the 1/2 spec in other yoyos. That might be fun.

Iā€™ve tried:

-Full spec unresponsive
-Half spec responsive
-Full spec rubber shield responsive
-Full spec responsive (lightly lubed up with shields off)

The unresponsive was fun enough. Nice way to work on accuracy. But not fun enough to make me dedicated to keeping it in the Moonshine. Half spec works fine, but I feel like I canā€™t get multiple layers of string in the narrow gap (not that Iā€™m doing much of that responsive, but even soā€¦). Can be snaggy/snappy on flyaways also. The rubber shielded bearing worked pretty good as far as being consistently responsive and not too snaggy/snappy. But spin time was down for me. The lightly lubed responsive bearing is where Iā€™ve settled for the moment. The only real drawback is that it doesnā€™t stay in the ā€œsweet spotā€ for all that long. You play for a while and things are great, but then it gets a little too unresponsive and you have to add a drop of lube and youā€™re back to needing to work it in because itā€™s a little too responsive. But I still think that itā€™s the best way to go right now. Perhaps when the pads wear in a bit more, one of the other responsive options will be worth more of a try again.

[quote=ā€œphotogeek,post:70,topic:81564ā€]
Waiting for the pads to break in really opens this yoyo up. I played mine really hard the first week, to the point that the half spec went full unresponsive! After adding Brain Lube to it itā€™s perfect. Pads worn down cuts down on the ā€œsnaggynessā€ of it. However, just have to mention when it was new I was able to get multiple string layers in it, but you just have to be careful, have to be really easy with the string, get off plane slightly and itā€™ll catch. Really works on your accuracy ;D

Fully admit that my accuracy/smoothness is part of the issue here!

Picked mine up on my terms, such a fun yo-yo. It is a shame that Basecamp is unwilling to reverse their decision and make moreā€¦ the demand is there. All they have managed to do is boost the BST value which they will not see a dime of and piss off those that do not want to pick it up in a bundle.

Just not gonna let that go, are you?

Everyone knows how you feel, youā€™ve been very clear about it. Maybe itā€™s a stupid move by Basecamp. Maybe there are reasons we donā€™t know about. Maybe they are jerks and just donā€™t care. But thereā€™s not really any value in continuing to harp on it at this point. Youā€™ve made your case.

dammed if you do.
Dammed if you donā€™t.

If we cured cancer saintrobyn would be there to highlight how wrong we did it.

Good news, we get to make different fun Yoyos in the future!

1 Like

Please do keep making ā€œmoonshine-likeā€ yoyos - fun throws that arenā€™t necessarily geared toward the competition stage. Variety is the spice of life!

Nope, but I would point out when you make the foolish decision to force certain hospitals that you supposedly respect to bundle the cure with things like restless leg syndrome meds, botox, AND a free mug while your own practice administers it all on itā€™s lonesome. I will also call you out when you make a low cost cure, not make enough, and then say ā€œoops, we didnā€™t think there would be a demandā€. That is just poor businessā€¦ you know, if you were a doctor curing cancer and such. :wink:

Top 5 Yoyos available now that I wouldnā€™t call competition from yoyofactory:

Nine dragons
Mighty flea
Boss
Replay (responsive)
Turntable

Looking forward to adding to the list with BASECAMP :innocent:

Hey Ben, I canā€™t remember what this thread is about so let me take this opportunity to say the
Around the World, Canadian Rockies video is really fun.
The Moonshine is a really fun yo-yo too, and for me anyways, it has been my experience that the readiness of my yo-yos is less an issue than the readiness of the yo-er, so in that regard all my yo-yos are equally (not) competition ready. So thanks for the Moonshine, Iā€™m pretty sure it cures something.

2 Likes

Donā€™t forget Legend and Oh-Gee! Those are pretty brilliant.