Moonshine

It’s actually a very simple answer, you just don’t want to hear it. Steve has answered this over and over. But to simplify it, the manufacturer & designer can choose to sell it any way they want, they can ask their retailers to sell it in a certain way also. So why? Because this is what they as the owners of Basecamp yoyos have decided. Maybe after some time they’ll change their mind, either wait or go to where you can get just the Moonshine. No need to have to “find” one, it’s common knowledge where you can get just that one at, no search needed.

And, if a retailer doesn’t like the terms, they are free to decide not to carry the Moonshine, or any of the Basecamp line.

Actually, it is pretty complex since it asks why they are holding retailers to a different standard than what they hold themselves to and can be construed as alienating those retailers.

It is funny that everyone has loyalty for their brand of choice but when someone comes in and questions that brand because they want an answer, they are branded a troublemaker. I guess I will own it, I have never been a fan of blind obedience. ;D

1 Like

They are the owners of the product, they can hold retailers to any standard they want. You’ve never seen camera companies offer products, packages or prices that you can only get direct through them (or insert most any other company)? I was in the Musical Instrument industry for about 15 years, pretty common there and it was rarely an issue.

Why isn’t there a thread about why YYF was selling Shutters for $25-30, or whatever they were, and other yoyos super cheap on their funding page? Why didn’t they let their retailers sell them for that price also?

The only reason you may be branded a “troublemaker” is you’ve been given an answer in several ways but you don’t want to accept it.

You see it your way, and I’ll see it mine. Thank you for your input.

word. ;D

SO after all of that:

How well does the Moonshine play?
Is it better responsive or unresponsive?
How does it feel?

If you have one please, tell us how you like it.

Im also curious about these questions ???

Responsive, it is FANTASTIC. The shape feels great in the hand. High walls and rounded edges on the rims. Slim for your pocket convenience. The weight is just light enough for comfortable responsive tricks. Stock, for me, it needed a touch more response which a little lube provided. The high walls force you to keep on the ball because it can tilt pretty easily. But for me that’s GREAT because I like to throw in loops and hop the fences. I would say it’s versatile for string tricks (long spinning) and loops (flips just easily enough) in this regard.

Unresponsive, it didn’t do anything for me. I think a center trac could have helped, but I tried the large bearing and it was short-lived. The weight is just too low, the walls too high, and the weight too distributed for modern play. It tilts and loses spin. For me, the only thing it has going for it unresponsive is that it is challenging and pocket-friendly. I’d rather use something else unresponsive.

The Moonshine really filled a void in my collection between wood and unresponsive metal. I take it everywhere as my everyday carry. This morning I was doing some old school, tug responsive tricks at the post office and people loved it.

4 Likes

I love it! I’m really hoping they do more “throwback” or other interesting yoyos with Basecamp, yoyos that really don’t fit within YYF or CLYW brands. It is so much fun!

I have mine setup like this:

Bronze - Slim bearing full responsive. My favorite so far. I grew up playing yoyos like this, and it’s really my preferred way to play. Right out of the box it’s really snappy, so if you’re not use to playing responsive be careful :wink: Although I’ve played it so much in the past week and a half or so that last night it became unresponsive setup like this. I just added a few drops of thick lube to the bearing and it’s back to full responsive.

Copper - Added the longer axle and the included large C bearing. I removed one of the guards from the bearing and added about 8 drops of Brain Lube to it so that I could have one with a larger gap but still tug responsive. On the fence right now with this setup, need to play it more. Planning on adding silicone to the outer rings of this one soon.

Seafoam - added the longer axle and put in a Pixel bearing, left it unresponsive. Lots of fun. Stable enough, lets you work on technique and accuracy. Did I mention it’s a lot of fun? ;D

Overall it feels great, perfect weight for this type of yoyo. Wish there were more yoyo’s like this on the market, but I understand why there isn’t at the same time.

4 Likes

Aaron, what’s your favorite color? What string are you using on each?

All the colors are really good, I’m a little partial to the bronze though.

I think the copper has a Kitty fat, the Bronze has Kitty Fat, and the Seafoam has a YYSL Type X.

1 Like

What are your thoughts on the Seafoam? In pictures looks a little too pastel for my liking. I am going to pick up the bronze. The copper looks awesome but I am trying to diversify my collection from the mostly orange that I seem to have at this time. ;D

I’m a little bummed I waited too long and didn’t pick up a bronze, because that is the best of the three to my eye. That said, none of them are terrible looking.

It’s nice to see companies moving away from the #ALLCRAZYANNO phase of yoyo colors.

The Seafoam and Copper on YYE photos are pretty accurate. A little brighter in person though. I must not have looked at the photos that closely, but the Seafoam is more on the green side in person.

They’re all great, I prefer solid colors over splash though.

Also, got my original Cherry Bomb out last night, couldn’t believe how close they are in shape! Hadn’t played it in so long.

All I know is I’m really excited for mine to get here.

Given Steve’s involvement in both, not too surprising.

1 Like

i bought it at the release and told adam i wanted the “amber” one (thinking bronze and not realizing there was copper). he tossed me a copper one and i popped outside to play with it. i thought “this color is way lighter than i thought but whatever” and i threw it down, banking it off the bricks on my 3rd throw. the next minute i saw someone throwing the bronze and was like “dangit” but i like the copper, too. it’s a cool player; terrific for the price and i’ve already dinged mine up all over the place - takes a beating! i find it REALLY different from flying v, walter, or just about anything else. prefer it with a rubber-sealed responsive regular bearing - i find the half-spec to play on the snaggy side. i hope the success of it pushes other companies to realize that there is a place for throws that don’t fit the typical profile (literally).

1 Like

I was wondering about one of those in the MS, after reading about that choice for the Theodore.

I can’t wait to get mine!

They’re really great, but really responsive. I’ve got them in my Walters. Really glad that Spencer is going to use them in Theo. Going to be getting some extras of these bearings for a few yoyos. They’re very low maintenance.