Moonshine

Was just thinking the same thing, not even close to the Flying V. Closer IMO to the SB2. Somewhere between the feel of the SB2 and Tom Cat.

I meant in the way it is being sold with a half spec bearing and is so tall and thin in design, I didn’t mean literally.

Besides, we all know it is the spiritual successor to the Walter. ;D

Ummm, that would be Theodore :wink:

Spencer still has some left on his site if you want to reserve that successor :slight_smile:

How ironic that a yo-yo made just for fun wasn’t really expected to sell! Makes you think

Anyway, I procrastinated on ordering one. A couple of times I had a bronze one in the cart, but I had put a moratorium on yoyo buying, as I’m trying to start my own business. Now I read here that it may not be available again, and I broke down and got the copper. Congrats. Out of every yoyo I really want, but was forcing myself to wait for, the Moonshine couldn’t be denied!

It’s good to hear that Basecamp is not done with having fun. I think it’s a breath of fresh air in yoyoing. It’s nice and important to see the envelop being pushed on performance, and there are many subtle differences to be appreciated in modern yoyos, but seems things have blurred together a lot. Reminds me of how cars became wind tunnel designed for a while, and started to lose defining style characteristics.

Thanks for remembering yoyos are for fun!

2 Likes

It’s an odd one but do you know the first yoyo offered this way?

Cold Fusion ----> Cherry Bomb ----> Moonshine

1 Like

This is why I just bought one. Love both of those yo-yos!

You can still pick one up on it’s own

Was it the original DNA? I remember getting a half spec with that.

I just did.

I would like to support the stores that have been good to me over the years, YYE is definitely one of those stores.

No, I don’t. All I know is that the Moonshine was the one that I really wanted to give a shot because it reminded me of an out of production yo-yo that I totally regret trading away and have been looking for a similar replacement. No matter what yo-yo was shipped with it first, the answer still doesn’t explain why I couldn’t by a yo-yo I am extremely interested in on its own, from my store of choice, instead of as a bundle. I have read Steve’s reasoning on this and it doesn’t add up. If people love bundles so much why aren’t you all doing the exact same thing on the company website? Why make retailers go through extra hoops that Basecamp as a company is unwilling to do themselves?

1 Like

I’m not going to push another sales avenue on André’s forum but I’ll say this: if your interest in this project is so weak that it’s not worth supporting directly, then I don’t understand why it’s important enough for you to need to complain about it. You could have purchased the item you want, the way you want it, in 1/10th the time and probably 1/50th the keystrokes it has taken you to complain about it. You could have shown up at the contest or the launch party and grabbed one. You’re local.

You either don’t really want it very much, or you just really want a reason to yell at us. I dunno, man. We laid everything out pretty clearly, we apologized for underestimating the release and bungling it a little, and we still have options for everyone to get what they want, and it’s still not enough for you. So, I guess play with a Cold Fusion. Lemme know if you need brake pads, I think I still have some.

3 Likes

Steve, by saying you are not going to push another sales avenue on André’s forum and then go on to explain that anyone who wants a Moonshine without the extra baggage has a way to do so, you have just pushed another sales avenue. Google is not that hard to use once you know you have option on how to buy a product.

Please answer some questions that no one involved with Basecamp seem to be addressing. IF this is what you all consider to be the best course of action then why is the company not following suit and bundling the Moonshine in your own “sales avenue”? Why are retailers being asked to do something Basecamp is not willing to do themselves? Or better yet, why not just make another run? I know you all keep saying that you are sticking to your word that it is one and done, but it wasn’t too long ago that you and Chris flat out said a new run of Peaks would NEVER happen, and now CLYW is looking into making a slightly modernized Peak to celebrate the 10th anniversary. Isn’t that the textbook definition of reversing a previous decision based on player demand.

As for finding one myself, don’t worry about me. I’ll find one eventually. It has nothing to do with a lack of confidence, but thanks for trying to shift the blame. I would just rather have some of my money go to AndrĂ© while also supporting the manufacturer. What can I say, I like supporting the small businesses that have given me great customer service in the past. What you call a “lack of confidence” I call loyalty.

1 Like

You want a yoyo. You can get a yoyo. but you dont get the yoyo, so you can bitch about not being able to buy a yoyo, when you have full ability to easily and effortlessly buy a yoyo. You are just looking for a reason to moan? Thats pretty weak dude.

you look like a fool. just stop already.

1 Like

Consider this:

I will never be able to afford $195 even if it is for 3 yoyos.
$75 for a single yoyo is frightening.
$45 is about average and I can find that much.

If you think about Steve’s original post about what their thoughts on, and intentions for the Moonshine were, and therefore, and most importantly, how they priced it, you should be able to read between the lines.

Also, explains why they’re not planning a 2nd run. They’ve painted themselves into a corner. Steve has admitted more than once that they bungled it a bit. Mostly misjudged, I think.

Hey, they’re only human.

Thank you for your opinion.

As I said, I will find a way to get one eventually.

Here is something for you to ponder. You and Steve are debating with me on a forum that is directly funded with the money that many customers, myself included, want to give André. I know, pretty weak. I look like a fool because I would like to see this store, and the forums come with it, to continue on into the coming years.

2 Likes

I didn’t really mean to thank you, but then again, “thanks”. I agree, we should support the store behind this forum we use. I think you make a valid point, but I think this is not an easy situation for Basecamp. Ultimately YYE will be fine, and hopefully we’ll get more cool yoyos from Basecamp, and the snafus will be few and far between.

People get all bent over stuff. Buy the yoyo or don’t.

The world is an imperfect place. Steve/Chris/Ben made the best decisions they could with the information they had at the time. Sometimes that works out great, sometimes it doesn’t. Such is life. They are good guys trying to run companies that make the best stuff they can, but will still be here in another 10 years. They are not shining golden gods who exist solely to place yoyos in the hands of the masses out of the benevolence of their hearts.

Think you can do better? Maybe you can. Far bigger success stories have been born out of that very reason. Start your own company and make all the yoyos you want.

2 Likes

It is funny how “discussion” is automatically viewed as “bent out of shape”. How questioning a decision is considered “making a fuss”. You make it sound like I am stewing in a corner, muttering insults about Steve, Chris, and Ben.

Not at all. I am simply asking questions. Instead of answering the questions I am getting false arguments and accusations of weak interest.

It really is a simple question, why not bundle the Moonshine at the company store when all other retailers have to do so? If Basecamp is doing a “one and done” it should not matter if it is sold individually or in a set. Once it is gone it is gone. It isn’t like the bundle policy isn’t reversible. I completely understand that the bundle was a hit at Worlds but from the responses on Reddit and even on here, the bundle is not such a hit. Why not lift the restriction and let the yo-yo sell out?