What's your story?

We alll got into yoyoing one way or another, but how did you stumble on it? What made you want to get into it as much as you did?

I starting yoyoing just 3 weeks ago. Here’s my story.

I'm a guitarist, and I was walking through Walmart when I saw a Duncan Butterfly sitting on the shelf.  My first thought was something along the lines of,"I could use this to keep my picking habd strong!". So I purchased the yoyo, and started yoyoing wherever I went to build up strength in my right hand to be able to pick the strings on my guitar faster. So on I went, Up and down, up and down, up and down. Then something sparked my memory. (By this time I moved to a Mosquito)    My cousin named Dustin who used to yoyo a bit, could do Baby in the Cradle and such.  When I was young it seemed like a neat trick, but I was able to figure it out by memory.  I had learned my first trick!  I wanted more! So i searched 'Yoyo tricks' on the internet. And I stumbled on YYE.  I looked at the 'Learn' section, and realized that there was no way I could do any of them on my Mosquito.  So I got a DM (with the help of you guys, thanks again) and here I am! I have since gotten a DV888 and a Hitman (waiting on that one).

Your turn!

3 years ago, my family (Parents, brother, grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousins) were in Ocean City, New Jersey. We were waiting for our pizza (on the boardwalk sorta thing) and my uncle noticed a yoyo contest. We went to watch and there was a guy who was really good (Doing great string tricks with a plastic yoyo sold at the shop on the boardwalk). I decided that I wanted to get good. My uncle got me a Black Mamba. I practiced for like 5-6 hours a day. After about 3 months, I got a Dark Magic. Used that for a while, then after about 7 months with the DM, I got a Grind Machine 2. I used that for a little while… then I just stopped yoyoing… for a long time. Just a few months ago… someone heard about my yoyo, asked to see me yoyo, I showed them. A crowd watched me… and that got me started again. Since then, I’ve been yoyoing nonstop in all my free. I’ve gotten a Peak with my B-day money. I got 2 Dif-e-yo’s from family for Christmas, and I have an 888x which should be here by tomorrow.

Last march my friend and I were sitting in my basement flipping through the channels and stumbled upon a replay of the 08 worlds, we watched that and then spent the next few hours watching videos on youtube. later that night we decided to go to target and buy some pro fires… And we never looked back.

I saw this Pakistan Kid yoyoing at our school. (Samad)
And Im like DUUUDE. Not cool. Then My friend cameron then got me yoyoing.
I look on yyn for my first yoyo. A fast 201.
I repeatably asked samad how to mod it. and I failed.
So i got a PGM from my friend ryan, and from there, I was stuck on yoyoing.

All interesting stories. I wannna know ed and Samad’s stories!

Samad’s story is on the fourm expert page thing haha.

It was about 6 months ago my friends and I were bored between poker games so we went wandering through the mall near where we were at and wandered into a toy store and I saw this $3 yoyo and I said this will kill some time, so I bought it started throwing some old skool tricks and then I said to myself “damn it im going to get good at this and make yoyos popular again”, now I’ve got a DM, a DV888, a SEVERE and just bought a HULK smash Woolly marmot, but alas I still havent got a following in my local area yet but everyone knows me as the yoyo guy.

Oh duh. I knew that

And Ed’s story is in 70 parts on his blog.

When I was a kid, my school, like many others went through this HUGE fad of yoyo’s back when the Yomega Powerbrain came out. So like everyone had one, so I saved up some lunch money and went to Wal-Mart, they were sold out of powerbrains, so I was like, “Crap now what?” then I stumbled upon a Yomega Firestorm Clear case with gold interior on the halves. Not knowing any difference at the time I picked it up. When I went back to school everyone said I had a crappy yo yo because mine didnt come up automatically, next thing you know I am the only one doing forward passes, loops, 3 leaf clover, ect. Any suddenly I am the cool kid who has the transaxle yoyo. The fad passes and I moved onto what else, drugs. A nasty habit that got kicked around the time I enlisted in the Marines. I finished my time in the Marines and was going through some boxes I left at my Dad’s place when I left for the Marines. Lo and behold I found that very same Firestorm, Still threw great so then I looked up some tricks online and found Andre on youtube doing tuts. I found YYE and placed an order, here I am :smiley:

Tell us your story

One day My friend Came to school with a Yomega Powerbrain and amazed every with a sleeper includeing me.Then Trapeze and so on. Then I went over to his house to play PS2 and he had a DM and taught me Rock the Cradle but I could bind so I had to stop and wind it up. Christmas I got a Mosquito and I didn’t learn anything on that. From My Grandparents I got a $30 Visa Card, And I ordered a Yomega Brain and Fast 201. And When School Started the yoyo Fad was Dead,I bought a YYJ Legacy Learned Green Triangle, But I took the wieghts out and the axel stripped. So I had a Beef Caked Duncan Ignite. When I had Stomach Surgrey My Grandpa got me a YYF Skyline and I went pro, JK,. But I did get to learining the Expert Tricks And Now I am Competeing at Contest. No I have over 30 yoyos.

You guys get so many yoyos so fast. Is it really necessary to get like $600 in yoyos within 6 months? A DM should last you throught nearly your first year, at the least!

many years ago my aunt got my brother and I a pair of fast 201s. he used his for about a month and I played with mine on and off for about 6 months. heres the fun part: I was going through my old school bag months ago and found my 201. My homeroom at school does this thing called talent friday (which nobody participates in) so I thought since everybody has seen me solve rubiks cubes through the years, I would try something new. I then found this site, and ordered a pocket change. I was reeeeaaally bad but everybody was still impressed. now I’ve been yoyoing for about 2 1/2 months and I’m way better (and I have a DV888 :smiley: )

Well, think about it this way, at least this is why I buy yoyos, I am fairly inexperienced therefore I am trying to find what I do and do not like about particular models, finding my niche in the yoyo world. How would anyone know wether or not they like undersized or overweighed throws if they dont handle them, and not everyone knows a lot of people that will let them chuck a throw to see how it feels and plays. Sure a DM might be a great way to start but I want to know what I am looking for in a yoyo, if that means I have to spend some money doing so then so be it, at least people arent out blowing 600 bucks on drugs to fill their time… I used to spend all mine on drugs, this is MUCH healthier.

I went to that contest this summer i met Jake maloney, Shane Karan and a few other good yoyoers. at that time i had only been yoyoing for 2 monthes and my best trick was mach 5 and split the atom and my best yoyo was the yomega maverick fast forward 4 monthes now im on master tricks and i have the genesis, hectic, dark magic, (broken)metal zero, modded fhz(by me), x-convict, dv888, boss and protostar. most of them i got in trades for modded yoyos

well i yoyoed as a kid like most but i stoped for some strange reason but just 4 months ago i went on a trip down to north carolina and in a “as seen on tv” store there was a yomega brain and i thought "i wonder if i could still do anything and it was all history from there.

Cool! I really want to go back to Ocean City and enter that contest sometime but it’s like a 13 hour drive -_-"

I have over 12 yoyo’s. I buy them because I can. Not to mention that I buy them for my son also. I would rather buy 65$ for a throw than 65$ for a video game for him. No Xbox 360 achievement is better than the satisfaction of learning a new trick.

I have yoyoing for about 3 months now with my son. We picked it up after some"yoyoguy" came to his class (4th grade). He said, “Dad can I have 15 dollars for a yoyo?” I said, “Are you nuts? 15 bucks for a yoyo?!!” So he came home with a “Cosmic Spin”. After that it was off to toys r us, and we bought all the different types of duncans and omegas they had. Then we found this site…Now im paying 40-100$ for a yoyo.LOL How Ironic…!

I see your point. I was going to buy a DSi with my Christmas money. I decided to get some pads for my Dif-e-yos and some new silicon rings for my GM2. Plus I got an 888x. My parents do appreciate that I didn’t spend $170 on a game system… considering I got a Wii last year XD