Whats your Yoyo Story?

Everybody has a Yoyo Story! What do I mean by Yoyo Story? I mean, How did you start to get in Yoyoing? What Hobby did you do before Yoyoing? How did you Discover it? What is your Yoyo Goals?
This is my Yoyo Story:

When I was in 3rd Grade, I was an Awesome Artist. Everybody in School said that I was like the Best Artist in the Class. (Big Deal when your in 3rd Grade. lol) When I was in 4th Grade, I even got a Scolarship into an Art School. But, On my 11th Birthday, in 5th Grade, I bought a Yoyo at a Toy Store, because my Dad always told me that he played with Yoyos when he was a kid. So, I purchased a Duncan Imperial at a Toys 'R Us Store. Me or my Dad didn’t have a Clue what Yoyoing Really Was. Like, we didn’t know about the Contests, and the Metal Yoyos or the Advanced String Tricks or anything like that. We thought that Yoyoing was just a “Around the World”, “Rock the Baby”, and Up and Down Toy. But, When I brought my Duncan Imperial Home, My Dad showed me some Tricks on the Yoyo. Like, “Rock the Baby”, Things like that. I thougth that was Super Cool! Later on that night, I looked up “Yoyo Tricks” on Youtube. And, Guess what I found? YoGrant’s Stronger Yoyo Video. When I watched it, My Jaw dropped all the way down. I couldn’t beleive my Eyes. So, I was like, “DAAADDD!!!” and he was all like, “WHAT???” and so I showed him the Video. I was like, “How the Heck is he making the Yoyo Fly Off the String”, and my Dad is like, “Why is there a Ball at the end of his Yoyo? HOW DOES HE DO THIS???” and we were both amazed. So, i picked up my Yoyo, and started to learn. I practiced all night. I was still learning the “Around the World” trick. The Next Day. my Dad tooo me to Toys 'R Us, and we both got some Duncan Butterflies. It was a better yoyo then the Duncan Imperial. I was doing “Around the World” Constantly, because that was my Favorite Trick, and I was Glad I could do it. I started to bring it to School and show everybody what I could do with a Yoyo. Everybody was so Amazed. By the Middle of 5th Grade, I bought a YYF Fast 2.01. By then I was making up some short tricks like doing, “Rock the Baby” and landing the Yoyo on the String and flipping it over. By the End of 5th Grade, I Bought a YYJ Speeder. I was able to do the Double or Nothing and Matrix. I was still struggling with tricks like Boingy-Boing. Then in July, 2009, I bought a YYJ Legacy. This was my All Time Favorite Yoyo. By Then, I was almost Advanced and was working on Spirit Bomb Mount tricks. Then, My Birthday, October 17th, 2009, I thought I was ready to buy a YYF Frantic. So, i bought one. By then, I was able to do a lot of Sdvanced Tricks, like “Under Over Boingy-Boing”, " Thumb Grind", “Eli Hops”, and “Gyro Flop”. I absolutely Fell in Love with the Frantic. Everybody falls in love with their First Metal Yoyo. Before I got the Frantic, I didn’t care at all about how Smooth the Yoyo was. I didn’t even Understand what people meant when they Say, “This Yoyo is SO SMOOTH!”. But, After I got the Frantic, I understood Smoothness of Yoyos, and Realized it was Important. A Couple Months later, I started to get Really Advanced and starting saving up for Yoyos like the YYF Dv888, Genesis, Severe, and Boss. (I Loved Yoyofactory. lol) on May 22nd, 2010, I started to Compete. I got 13th in 1a at VA States Yoyo Contest 2010. Now, I Plan to Go to Worlds, Nationals, and a alot More Yoyo Contests! Now, It is October 9th, 2010. It will be Exactly 2 years since I started to play with a Yoyo on October 17th. 1 week and 1 day from today. Now, My Hobbies are Yoyoing and Watching Horror Movies. Some day, I want ti get Sponsored, but I know it will be a While. So, Right Now, Yoyoing is the Coolest Thing I have Ever Done. It has turned my life into an Adventure, and has made me more of a Positive Person.
-Cody Wright

Whats your Yoyo Story? :wink:

ahem

So this is a story all about how
my life got flipped, turned upside down
and I’d like to take a minute, just sit right there
and I’ll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel Air

In west Philidelphia, born and raised
on the schoolyard is where I spent most of my days
Chilling out
Maxin’
relaxing all cool
ans shooting some B-Ball outside of the school
when a couple of guys, who were up to no good
started causing trouble in the neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my Mom got scared
She said “You’re moving in with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel Air.”

I begged and pleaded with her day after day
but she packed up my suitcase and sent me on my way
she gave me a kiss and she gave me my ticket
I put my Walkman on and said “I might as well kick it”

First class yo, this is bad
Drinking orange juice from a champagne glass
If this is what the people of Bel Air live like…
hmmm
this might be alright.

I whistled for a cab and when it came near
the license plate said “FRESH” and there were dice on the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab is rare
but I thought “Nah, Forget it… Yo home to Bel Air!”

I pulled up to the house around 7 or 8
and I yelled to the cabby “Yo holmes smell ya later”
I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel Air.

http://geekpadshow.com/files/2009/08/imgdump-advice-dog-oct08-131.jpg

EDIT: And theres already been a thread like this :wink:

EDIT2: http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,18351.0.html here it is

1 Like

well, my friend matt has always liked yoyoing, but he didnt know about duncan. he got a metal imperial shaped yoyo from some unknown company. meanwhile michael kurti (mikkykurtz) had been yoyoing for a while and got his friend into it. his friend’s brother named mark then got into it and bought an atmosphere. then mark got my friends hunter and ryan into it. hunter bought an atmosphere and ryan bought a metal zero. then I saw matt’s yoyo and thought it was pretty cool so I bought a metal zero. then matt bought a metal zero. then I got better and bought a vendetta. then i bought a dv888. then ryan bought an atmosphere and then mark quit yoyoing. then hunter and ryan both bought genesises. the matt bought the trinity. the other trades and purchases happened. and now i am typing this and now i have to stop cause im gonna go practice my 5a. :slight_smile:

Bump

Now come on man, I even linked to the OTHER “yoyo story” thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry.
I didn’t even know that there was another post like this, and I already put a lot of thought into this.

I play polymerization and combine the 2 yoyostory boards to create ultimate yoyo story board

1 Like

Well that other kid yydude hes my friend and my story is hat for christmas ariound a year ago i got metal zero and learned all the beginner tricks. then i quit then started back up after my friend mark o a yoyo so this oher kid hunter ot an athomosphere so after a while i ot a atmosphere after learnin the marix went to yoyojoes[shop in delawere] and bough a jonrob gensis. right now i do ever style of yoyoing except 3a but im the best at 1a and 5a

I started after walking into the library last year to see Zach Ball, a senior at my school at the time, throwing a Dark Magic. At the time, I thought, “HOW CAN A DUNCAN DO THAT??” I also realized it wasn’t a Duncan. That same day, my friend Matt searched “Yo-Yo” on google and found Yoyoplay.

After that, he bought a Duncan Mosquito, and soon after that, a Dark Magic. I actually said yoyos were “gay”, until Matt let me throw it once.

I was still deciding.

My Friend Jake soon, somehow managed to find a MINT Dif-E-Yo Crossbones for $40, and he let me throw it. Hook, line, sinker.

By the next week, I had gathered enough money, and I bought a YYJ Black Knight. I had it for a day, let a friend use it, and he left, and had forgotten to give it back. So, I figured, it’s my B-Day, I can buy another one (To add on), and I chose a YYJ Atmosphere. Best decision ever.

Now, I’ve owned more yoyos than everyone in my school combined - Black Knight, Atmosphere, Atmosphere, X-Convict, DV888, Electric Daisy, ENEME, G5, Wooly Marmot, Gorylla, BigYo

I’m hooked :slight_smile:

well there was this kid at my chuch named josh who brought a yoyo to church. he showed me double or nothing, split the atom etc. i was amazed and asked him where he learned it. he said andre boulay on youtube. the next day i found a yoyo laying around my house that only went up and down then i went to the store and bought a duncan butterfly. i learned to throw correctly and learned some basic tricks. i continued to buy yoyos and learn more. little did i know my cousin i havent seen since i was 5 was into yoyoing too. he taught me some of his self made tricks and stuff. now my main throw is a yoyofactory skyline and i love it

I ofcourse did the yomega brain boom. Didn’t last long but my friend loves to think we started it in our school. We were the first to have them. On valentines day last year… My gf and I went to CVS. I was to buy her chocolates and she got me a duncan butterfly and some of those magician balloons. I went as far as i could with Andres youtube tutorials with the butterfly then just moved on from there and got a DM because thats what everyone recommended in the comment section. They also recommended this website. ;D I think she just bought me a spintop for this valentines day, she said she ordered me something around $20 online and got an email from yoyoexpert recently. Its either that or a northstar (hoping for the northstar) just because theres like no good tutorials on spintops, and i dont think she got a bearing tip if she did. i could be entirely wrong and it might not even be a skill toy but she knows me and i brought it up recently. so my 1 year anniversary of unresponsive yoyo play is coming up monday ;D I now use my wooly markmont as my main throw. I should be better than I am because I don’t practice as much as most, but I can do and whut and I made up some somewhat cool tricks.

edit: who cares that theres another similar thread??? this happens all the time. there are new comers that can reply to this thread now. wow.

My yoyo story… hmmm well i started playing yoyo when i was in elementary school. I’m not sure what year is was but it was the late 90’s. Anyway i remember the teacher taking our class outside for a school wide assembly, no one knew what it was about so we all sat there in the play ground waiting for the rest to the classes to get there. After everybody was there this guy took the stage, he was from Duncan, he started talking about how the yoyo was used a weapon and then he showed us tricks like walk the dog, rock the baby/dizzy baby, ufo, trapeze, and shoot the moon. I just sat there in awwwww thinking to myself how he did all of those tricks. He then said that the school was going to be selling them for a sort time so after school let out i ran home to and told my parents about the assembly and how i REALLY wanted a yoyo. The next day i bought on (which i still have to this day) and i got hooked. as i got better i started to buy more yoyo’s like the yomega Firestorm, Yomega brain, duncan tranz axle , duncan Neo, etc etc. But shortly after i quit yoyoing for some strange reason i cant remember. Fast forward to about 7 months ago my ps3 broke and i needed something to pass the time. I was walking through toy R us looking for a birthday present for my nephew, as i walk through the sports isle i saw a lonely duncan butterfly and i decided to buy it just for laughs…BOOM it all came back to me, the joy of just throwing a sleeper, as soon as i got home i looked up “yoyo tricks” on youtube and Andre’s videos popped up and when i tried to do a trapeze i realized i was going to need a better yoyo if i wanted to learn more tricks so i bought the Zombie by Pocket Pros since i had seen a commercial for it just a few days before. And since then i have been hooked like crazy.

i now own some YYF and alot of Duncan… i just have this love for Duncan since it was my first yoyo as a child. My main throws are my Duncan metal drifter and my YYF PGM. As soon as i get some steady cash flow in going to get some more Duncan, YYF, YYJ,SPYY, the list just keeps going haha ;D

Mine started back in 1996, just before the yo-yo boom. Needless to say, I started the boom at my school. Before I get ahead of myself, go ahead, sit back and relax, maybe get some popcorn or whatever because you’ve got a long (and hopefully interesting) read ahead.

After my cousin had his routine checkup at his dentist, he received one of those party favor yo-yos for ‘being a good by’ (more like suffering the horrible pain the dentist offered free of charge). When we got home, we were playing with it, seeing who can ‘dribble’ it the longest. My mom saw that we were interested and bought us a full-sized Imperial clone yo-yo. Of course it couldn’t sleep as the string’s wedged into the axle and yo-yo half. We were playing with them for a few days before we got bored…and mine ended up breaking. Another week later, we go to a party where we see one of the guys there throwing a brain. I was impressed with the sleepers as I had no idea what was going on. I didn’t know about sleeping and I thought the yo-yo functioned like a yo-yo ball but could hang at the end. The following day, we head to the mall, the same mall where that brain yo was purchased. Unfortunately, I only had $5 on hand. The brain was 10.99. So I was bummed and didn’t want to leave the mall empty handed. I walked over to KB Toys and saw that they had Duncans. My dad always told me about Duncans and how they were the best. With that in mind, I bought a red imperial. Within 10 minutes, I figured out how to properly throw and did my first ‘trick,’ walking the dog. I was pretty juiced. As I was younger, I had to stick with my parents in the mall and they wanted to hit up all of the boring stores now that I got my store out of the way. No fear, I had the yo-yo to keep me occupied. I did eventually get a brain yo-yo for my birthday about a month away.

Fast forward a few weeks. The fad somewhat died off until I saw a friend randomly bring one of those freebie yo-yos (the ones they use for advertising a company) to school. The next day, I snuck my Yomega to school and showed him some stuff as I could now rock the baby, around the world, forward pass… My other friends were amazed and came the next day with newly purchased Duncan Imperials. This was the start of the boom at school…atleast until it got banned. We fought it though and got them to make an ammendment to that rule. We were given a designated ‘throw zone’ so we couldn’t accidentally hurt others, had a solid 20 of us daily. Now it’s towards the end of the school year and I spotted a Duncan box in the class room. The teacher bought the entire class a yo-yo and we watched the Arnie Dixon How to Yo-Yo video, full of cheesy 80s video effects. After the video, we spent the last 30 minutes of class outside working on tricks. Was a great day.

1. Pokemon is in, Yo-yos are in. McDonalds is selling Yomegas. Yo-yoing is no longer ‘nerdy.’ It had gotten so mainstream that I found (and bought) a shirt at Wal-Mart that says “Use Your Brain” and has a pic of the Yomega Brain on the rear. Eventually, I drifted away as I got into playing Magic and stuff with my friends.

Fast Forward to 2004, my brother experiences a small boom at his school. I find my Yomega Raider I purchased during the 1999 boom and begin throwing for a short bit…then it died off.

2009: It’s my 24th birthday and my parents bought me a gag gift, a Duncan Imperial. After messing with it, I started to reunite with my past. The following week, I spent the remaining $5 on my giftcard for a Mosquito as I needed a wing-shaped bearing yo-yo, asap. Shortly after, I see Toys R Us stocking Freehands, and I eventually bought one of those. Since that gag gift, I’ve gotten myself back into the full swing, and am finding myself buying yo-yos like crazy…much like I did as a kid…I would spend my weekly allowance on a different colored Duncan Imperial, Neo, Butterfly, and/or getting a couple Midnight Specials. Yea, I learned a lot/most of my ‘beginner’ tricks on the fixed axle. Once I got to Brain twister and Split the Atom, forget it…finally got to those last year. Hope you all enjoyed my yo-yo novel!