Let’s talk 3D printing

Printed a slice of cake box for my daughter.

13 Likes

Turns out these brass inserts work REALLY well!

10 Likes

Can you link the brass spacer you used?

1 Like

Not a spacer. It’s a knurled threaded insert. Don’t have a link, but it’s similar to those in the first pic here Let’s talk 3D printing - #44 by TheThrowingGnome

1 Like

The red and black compliments the side pattern! Good choice.

1 Like

Insert is what I meant, genuinely unsure how I typed that all out without realizing it. Thanks so much!!

1 Like

Printed this crazy cool articulating dragon overnight!

11 Likes

Where did you find this???

1 Like

Stl was up for free on Thingiverse for a limited time. Not sure if it’s still available. PM me if you can’t find it.

1 Like

Remixed and scaled up a phone holder design into an articulating cook book holder for my daughter. Now to mount it to the wall and eat some cake.

9 Likes

I’m back baby!

5 Likes

you’ve got to put the STL files for that online. there are a lot of chess players who would appreciate shogi but are used to playing with 3d pieces instead of similar tiles.

Just ordered an Ender 3 S1 from Microcenter, I’ve cadded stuff up for my cousin’s printer which he lets me use freely but I want to get one in the house and learn the technique thoroughly, so this’ll be the first machine that I spent a significant amount of time with!

Ivan

2 Likes

Congrats, Happy Printing Ivan!

2 Likes

Thanks! It came in today, currently it’s busily printing out “Cat” before I start it off on one of my own drawings. I have a feeling this poor machine is going to be working long hours, I’m having a lot of fun drawing up designs for gadgets.

I made a time lapse of the assembly process, made sure to check everything as I assembled because there were a few loose bolts from transit. The S1 requires way less assembly than the previous versions as it comes mostly done already.

Ivan

3 Likes

1st half of a new design came out nice. First go at 4 colors and a landscape scene.

11 Likes

How thin are the yellow and blue layers?

1 Like

0.2 mm. One layer. Might bump it up to 2 layers, but I kinda like how the white peeks through the blue and and black through the green.

Do you usually print with a 0.2 mm layer height? Is that to reduce print time?

Yes 0.2 usually. I’ve found it to be a good balance of quality and print time, especially on a prototype. Also, these image designs requires a lot of bridging, which seems to work better with slightly thicker layers.

What layer height do you typically use?