Let’s talk 3D printing

Typically I use the default for my resin printer(s) which is 50 microns (0.05 mm). However, when I have a print with lots of small details at various angles, I like to match the layer height to the LCD pixel size to get true cubic voxels, which differs depending on the printer. On my old Elegoo Mars Pro it’s 47 microns, while on my new Elegoo Saturn 2 it’s 28.5 microns.

1 Like

0.05!!! I had no idea resin printers used such small layers. I understand how they print so detailed now.

Turned out nice. Plays great semi responsive with a dry half spec. Might print another at 0.12 layer height and send it to @zslane.

9 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with mounting in a drill and wet sanding. Works well. Really changes the texture.

These are beautiful. It reminds me of the later Tom Kuhn yoyos with landscape scenes engraved on them. There’s a lot of charm in how the 3D print/engraving on the TKs left a bit of the landscape rendering to viewer interpretation.

1 Like

How’s the S1 been working for you? Been thinking about selling my Ender3 Pro and getting an S1.

So far I have found very little to dislike about it! Internal fans are a little loud I guess.

I’ve upgraded to a PEI build surface from Comgrow which is excellent (~$25 IIRC to purchase) and printed an improved filament holder spool and fan duct off of the 'Verse. And I added bed insulation (~$8) to save a little electricity.
I also printed a ziptie anchor and stuck it to the X-axis motor to take the stress off of the tiny motor connections as they are sometimes under tension the main rippon cable moves.

I haven’t felt the need to modify or upgrade anything else, although I might print an LED bar at some point if I get bored.

The only other printer I’ve had experience with is my cousin’s Ender 3 V2 so my knowledge is limited, but the big improvements that I like on the S1 are the magnetic build plate, the bed leveling system and once I start printing TPU I expect that the direct-drive extruder is going to show it’s virtue. So far I’ve only printed PLA and PLA+.

The S1’s dual Z-screws are an upgrade over the Ender 3 V2, but TBH we never had any problems with the V2’s single-screw setup so I suspect that the dual screws of the S1 are there to support the greater weight of the print head and aren’t really a performance upgrade.

The S1 Pro already comes with a PEI build surface, bed insulation and a light bar among other goodies, but I couldn’t justify the $160 price difference from the S1. And I really didn’t see the point of the touchscreen interface so I went for the regular S1 at $340.

I bought the printer to make parts and gadgets, but with my nephews visiting I’ve printed some animals and airplanes and stuff. I can snap pics of the toys when I get home but here are some of the parts:

Ivan

4 Likes

Thanks Ivan. Just the type of info I was looking for and I love the printed balisong!

1 Like

Just scored an S1 for 270$ at MicroCenter!!! They had put the wrong price on the sticker, but honored it anyway. :muscle:t3:

Edit: she’s all set up and printing “rabbit”. Setup was super easy. Had to adjust the shelving to accommodate the top mounted filament holder. It’s a big upgrade from the Ender 3 Pro. So much quieter.

5 Likes

Congrats on the score, what a deal! And that balisong is awesome indeed, unfortunately I didn’t design that so can’t take credit. It’s a free download on Thingiverse, designed by a user named Retsyx IIRC. I’ve already printed three for my nephews (with plastic dummy blades) and several for my friends as well!

I still haven’t printed Rabbit yet, LOL. I made a few Cats but have yet to make poor Rabbit even once. Maybe tomorrow.

Ivan

1 Like

Great set up!

1 Like

Printed my first lithophane. So cool!

12 Likes

That turned out awesome! What kind of filament did you use?

Ivan

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s Overture Matte White. Love their matte filament line.

1 Like

Finally got Octoprint figured out on my Raspberry Pi that I’ve had for a year! Having fun learning everything and controlling/monitoring my prints from CPU and phone.

4 Likes

OctoPrint is mandatory! Enjoy

2 Likes

Clean up :put_litter_in_its_place:

7 Likes

Had some fun last few days with a few random non-yoyo related prints. The glider flys much farther than expected and the knife flips pretty well. The nunchucks turned out great too I thought. Very strong.

8 Likes

Anyone want to try their hand at making weight rings where the outer edge is a circle around the points and the inner is the circle in the middle? Kinda like the clock ones I’ve seen posted, but not necessarily hollow? I have no idea what I’m talking about, I just want a 13-point star on my Gravity in black and/or red.

1 Like

The things you can print these days. It’s incredible. I’ve been desperately trying to get a couple of masks printed but sizing and failing prints have plagued me for two months. I don’t have a printer and the school one keeps failing during the print. I just want these marks printed darn it! Why must I be so bad at this???