Let’s talk 3D printing

If you need help let me know

1 Like

I have different brands but I normally tend to use motorsil D. I like the red since I can see it better when removing the unwanted overflow.

1 Like

Finally got the response to print right on my fixie axles. Required printing a 4 line wide 3 layer tall brim which acted as support as well and peels away perfectly after printing. G code prints 3 layers on the central and outer ring, then 4th is a bridge layer across the middle which leaves a one layer recessed response. Kinda feels like I’d imagine a recessed mild starburst would. Doesn’t look like much, but took several iterations probably 30-40 prints to get to here.

Original version just printed on raft is below

7 Likes

Awesome!

Nice! I thought about doing that one a while back but couldn’t figure out where the heck I would put it hahaha! My longest print so far has been 52 hours and it was excruciating lol! The worse part is getting to those final hours and hoping it doesn’t decide to suddenly lift off of the buidplate or get messed up in one way or another. Glad it came out great for you! It looks awesome!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how tall is that model?

1 Like

About 5”

Orphan for Scale

7 Likes

It would be interesting to print something like that on a modern resin printer. I think a typical print time would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 hours.

1 Like

Paint it a brighter color! Wouldn’t want to lean on those spires on accident.

1 Like

But then it wouldn’t match my grey Orphan🙃

3 Likes

Yeah I saw some “makes” of it in resin and the detail is incredible. I’m kind of amazed my printer was able to do those bridges.

Wow… Such nice ideas (talking about the 80 messages that I havent looked before) :smiley:

Anyone know of a 3d slicer for a chrome book? I have a couple printers but my laptops are way out of date.

MobileSlicer app???

Just finished printing Battleship Star Wars. Turned out really great! Took about 5 days to print everything out. Case hinges and latches work far better than expected.

16 Likes

Wow!!! :open_mouth:

1 Like

One of my 3d printers is a voxel lab Aquila and it has a textured glass bed. Here is my problem. I cannot get anything to stick to it. I have leveled it at Least 10 times and it is just right every time but nothing sticks. Got any ideas?

1 Like

Have you tried using a glue stick yet? Works great for me when having bed adhesion issues. Really helps with warping on large pieces too. Also, have you tried using “baby stepping” to lower the nozzle as you are printing the first layer. Even when I’ve got the bed near perfect I still find myself using baby steps to account for tiny changes in the bed from bed springs loosening after several prints etc.

1 Like

Was having trouble with glue “push back” when glueing my little axle pieces, so I printed a vice to hold them together. Really amazed at how strong, smooth, and square this vice is and its completely 3D printed.

9 Likes

Glue is what I use. Specifically weldbond in the white bottle. I created a mixture of 90% isopropyl alcohol and weldbond in the same bottle. Give it a shake, dribble some on the bed and smear it. It’ll last for quite a bit. IF I need to rehydrate, just wipe the bed with some alcohol and it’s good to go for a few more prints. The best thing is that it washes off super easily and it doesn’t leave a residue. The alcohol + heat on the bed accelerates the drying and it dries almost immediately.

4a09b08095646eea8810df9cc87836bd

2 Likes