Is Yoyo a Sport or Hobby

My first topic on here was about Yoyo and the Olympics. I was a little surprised that some people didn’t think of Yoyo as a sport. I just found a Yoyo knowledge dart from the og yye site on this topic.

5 Likes

If you compete in yoyo it is a sport (and could also be a hobby as well). If you just play yoyo for fun it is only a hobby for you, not a sport.

Sport is defined as: “ an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.”

So yoyo in general as an activity can absolutely be a sport, but technically only in competition. Non-competitive yoyo would be a hobby.

7 Likes

Most of this forum treats it as a hobby, but if you’re active on the comp scene you have to treat it like a sport, otherwise you’re not gonna do very well lmao

The top guys… it’s pretty much all they do.

8 Likes

Idk anything about being a sport or not but I looked at the image before reading anything and got excited for a moment thinking yye had some dead stock dark magic up for sale….

2 Likes

Hah sorry to get your hopes up here’s the part I thought was relevant bc the big pic is a lot of info
IMG_3438

1 Like

Yo is a state of being.

10 Likes

I am just a yoyo hobbyist but I love watching those that into the sport of you.

I am amazed at the talent out there.

5 Likes

Yes lol

2 Likes

It is both depending on how you do it.

1 Like

For my kids; its a Toy

Form me; its a Hobby

For some; Its Art

Others; Expression

For the few; Sport

10 Likes

It’s a Life Style !

9 Likes

Cool thanks for the replies. I too think it is both or whatever you want. I was hanging out with my crunchy friends this weekend and they kept saying it was a flow art bc they’re neo hippies. I just remember my first question here about the Olympics and some responses saying it wasn’t a sport. Then today I saw in a dead post that someone put an archived early yye page from 2008 and it said both sport and hobby and I thought that was cool.

3 Likes

Neither! yoyo is meditation. a place of zen. a place of yo?

8 Likes

The coolest thing, is that it can be so many different things to each person. It’s a hobby to most, a sport to some. But it can also be a toy for kids, stress reliever, form of meditation, form of art, collectors item, weapon (if you’re about that life I guess), and even just something to watch if you’re all about contests. Yoyo is just cool. Period.

6 Likes

Pretty sure it is classified as a jones.

3 Likes

Depends on how fast you can do it.

2 Likes

I call my yoyos fidget toys. I will show someone at work my knuckle roller, begleri, and yoyo and say “these are my fidget toys”

3 Likes

Wanna really motivate your coworkers to yoyo? One time I said “first one to learn and land a trapeze I’m buying lunch for” it was like a mini office comp going on in there

4 Likes

My humble opinion

If you prepare and compete against others on stage at sanctioned events and treat you throws like tools it is a sport for you.

If you throw alone enjoy hitting a trick when no one can see and get that tin cup feeling that satisfies. If you blissfully look at your many white whale throws and rare finds with awe and wonder. It is a hobby for you

It can be both to those with the means and talent,
“ I unfortunately am not that skilled, and fortunately for me, I enjoy this yo-yo hobby a great deal. “

This was me trying being overly dramatic…
I agree corrected the statement to be more clear.

6 Likes

I would say it’s fortunate you have a hobby to enjoy.

2 Likes