Yoyoing: Sport or Nope?

I have always beloved that yo-yoing is a sport. I still do and nothing will change that. But i wanna hear you guys support the fact that yoyoing is a sport, or decline and give reasoning.

Yoyoing in my eyes will always be a sport and a hobby.

Nope, just a hobby.

Maybe in 10 or less years when it gets another big boom, it will be, but right now it is just a small hobby that always finds its way to make me poor.

I don’t know why the label “sport” should be something sought after. It’s like if somebody doesn’t consider it a “sport” they are not giving it enough credit or are even denigrating it.

The word “sport” is just a description of a type of activity. And the definition varies greatly, even from well-known dictionary to well-known dictionary.

To me, it is not a sport. Yet I think it is more wonderful, competitive, and exciting than many activities considered to be “sports”.

1 Like

I don’t know, man. It’s fine to think what you want to, and I’m not gonna change your mind. But here’s what I think: yoyoing is about as much of a sport as golf. You don’t run, and you don’t really work up a sport, but
It’s STILL pretty stimulating and you have to build up skill to get good :). I personally don’t think it’s a sport, but everyone has their own thoughts and your entitled to your own opinion :).

lol it makes me poor, too. I try to ration my $$$ for when I get good enough to pay for a CLYW, though. XD

When you see Eric Tran-ton sweat after his freestyle, you will count this as a sport
(No offense to Eric,btw)

lol yeah some people really get into it…

pshh,… wait till you see Ben Conde.

I know both Ben and Eric. Eric sweats more…

nope, Ben gets super nervous there fore he sweats more.

Don’t argue with me…I can ask them next time I see them

most people say its not but I wish it was a sport ;D

It’s not a sport. A sport requires direct competition between two or more parties.

Yoyo contests have been sport-ified by placing point values on certain tricks and string hits, but both of these are ultimately just arbitrary decisions made so that two people with different styles can be judged…which is fine, I’m not knocking it. The point being that you could choose any number of other ways to judge this because there is no implied competitive aspect in yoyoing.

But, overall, the act of yoyoing isn’t a sport. It’s an art. I can walk the dog all day long if that’s what I like to do, and you can do the most amazing combos anyone has ever seen if that’s what you like, and we’re both fully yoyoing. That’s not true with “sports”, which require the actual contest to be taking place in order for them to be played.

1 Like

I think disc golf will be considered a sport before yoyoing, and I love both. Though both are impressive in their own rite. I don’t disagree that yoyoing takes talent and detemination, I see it as more of a.passion than sport. Take speedcubing, the world record is 5.6 secs, I would never consider felix an athlete.

yoyo battles, hello?

Right, but the point is that yoyoing doesn’t require the contest. If I never enter a contest or a yoyo battle, but I play with a yoyo every day, I’m still a yoyoer who legitimately yoyos just as much as any other yoyoer.

If I never play a game of soccer, but I kick a ball around the yard every day, I’m not a soccer player. The contest is required because it’s a sport.

There’s nothing wrong with not being a sport.

It was sarcasm lol :smiley:

I didn’t assume you were mounting a real argument, but we’ve had this thread before, and this one will continue I’m sure, so I just used your quote to make a point I’d have made anyway.

If cheerleading is a sport, yoyoing is a sport.

well, the reason I believe it’s a sport is because (an this is coming from my P.E teacher) every thing that is physical an has competitions is “technically”(emphasis on “technically”)a sport. Believe this or not, I’ve actually lost weight when I started off-string(not because I was chasing it around, an I know this because I don’t tend to drop it often) I had a pic of me before OS and after OS it was during summer, and my fav looked TOTALLY different. My cheeks weren’t as “chubby”, my shoulders were more “buff”(I’m not saying I got ripped but there had been a noticeable change, but not to the point where ppl ask “dang, have you been working out?!”).