Yoyoing: Sport or Nope?

finally someone that’s on my side.

YYE states:

“If you have found this site then you are most likely interested in the amazing sport and hobby that is yo-yoing.”

Remember, definitions are made by consensus. We all more or less agree on what makes a “chair” a chair. But I don’t know that we all agree on what makes a sport a sport. And in order to qualify yoyoing as a sport or not, we’d have to agree on the definition, too.

I do not tend to agree, no matter how many governing bodies say so, that cheerleading is a sport. :wink:

In the interest of transparency, I’ll admit that gymnastics and figure skating have me a bit stymied… there’s no great reason I should see gymnastics as a sport; nor why (despite reservations) I’m willing to grudgingly agree that figure skating could be classified as a sport.

And then the slippery slope ruins me. If I agree that gymnastics is a sport, I pretty much have to agree that figure skating is, too; and if solo figure skating (which has judging based on similar criteria to yoyoing) is a sport, it’s hard for me to not admit that yoyoing could therefore be seen as a sport…

There, I just beat myself in an argument. I guess yoyoing can be seen as a sport. But as grudgingly as I’ll admit figure skating is a sport, I’ll be twice as unlikely to admit that yoyoing is one.

do you have GPS? Cause’ I’m lost. insert my profile pic here

Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.
One could argue that at competitions, it could be considered a sport. When I was at worlds, I recall grant johnson breathing kind of heavy after his freestyle.
But 9/10, I would say no, yoyoing isn’t a sport, it’s just a hobby.
This topic seems to come up decently often

The reason why gymnastics has become a sport, despite being very much an art in concept, is because gymnastics does not really exist anymore outside of competition. All gymnasts are training to win medals based on the same rules. There aren’t any gymnasts paying gym and trainer fees, and practicing 30 hours a week just to have fun on the uneven bars. That outlook doesn’t exist. It’s about winning.

So, normally I’d make the distinction as I would with yoyoing, that the contests are sport-ified while the activity itself remains an art…but that’s not really true with gymnastics. The art is only relevant while being played as a sport, for all practical purpose, today.

there are teams, Team YYJ, Team Pro YYJ, Competition Team YYJ, Team Pro YYF, Competition Team YYF, etc. they compete against each other but not even with nearly as much intensity as other sports.

Has anyone even seen this?

As I said, you could argue that yoyoing at competitions could be considered a sport.
Would you call speed cubing a sport? Juggling? Poi? MTG? RC Car racing? All of these have competitions involved, but I doubt most would consider them sports. They’re hobbies.

Yoyoing is a sport in my eyes. If you look at billiards, bowling, and darts they are sports. Those three sports don’t require a lot of strength or anything like that. They require the same thing yoyoing does, determination, skill, presicion, and practice.

bowling requires a bit of strength but not enough to have to go to the gym.

Once again though, all games that require a competition for the activity to be done. You can’t “play pool” unless you’re playing a game of pool against someone. Same for darts and bowling. How you interact with the other player and their performance is a major part of these activities. You can practice elements of the game, but if you never compete, you are never actually playing the sport.

Yoyoing is not this way. A player who never competes is just as much yoyoing as any other player. There’s no necessary competition. A practice session and a competition routine are exactly the same thing.

I would actually consider it an art.

2 Likes

has anyone read this!? even YYE says its a sport.

Amen brother.

Amen

I hate when people do things like that. :frowning:

Why? It’s kinda annoying don’t ya think? Lol sorry, it’s 5:30 over here, I’m bored, you know.

We’ve seen this brought up many times over the years.

I’ve never felt the need to categorize yoyoing. The individual tailors it to be what he/she needs or wants it to be. It is an individualized experience, it is as it should be.

SNIFF

That was beautiful, man

SOBS