Yoyoing: Sport or Nope?

so beautiful he did it twice. :wink:

(I fixed it)

i hate when that happens :confused:

Same time both posts!!!

I used to think yoyoing was a sport, but now I see it more as an art form and an amazing pass-time.

YYE said it was a sport.

Yes, I know that, but that could be partly because some people consider it a sport, some donā€™t. So he listed it as a sport and a hobby so as not to upset anyone.

Good Olā€™ AndrĆ©

Is yoing a sport? Does cookie monster really enjoy cookies? Can playing the fiddle like Charlie Daniels really save your soul from the devil? the answer is obvious. All of these can be answered with a simple answer. Yes.

you have solved the worlds mystery!!! This is logic.

I think of it like skiing or snowboarding where for the majority of people itā€™s a hobby/activity but at high levels it can be competed as a sport.

Ok so the dictionary states that a sport is classified as an activity that requires skill or physical prowess and is often has a competitive nature.

Yoyo requires skill and is often competitive thus making it a sport.

@iYoyo58: it doesnā€™t matter that Andre says that on his site. Heā€™s one man with an opinion, and although itā€™s a well-informed opinion, itā€™s not the final say. One of the best things we can do for individual growth is acknowledge that not even experts are infallible, and that each of us has the capacity to form opinions based on our own intelligence. Thereā€™s not a field today (science, sport, or even humanities) that can survive and grow without people questioning the status quo.

TL;DR: weā€™re allowed to hold different opinions from experts.

@DrAwesome: dictionaries certainly help us discover what the consensus is for definition, but again they are open to interpretation, and language is a very dynamic thing. :slight_smile:

@stookie: I tend to agree with most of that, which is why I hesitate to call those things sports, too. However, thereā€™s one point I would disagree with: many people in fact DO engage in gymnastics for their own enjoyment without competing. Some of these people move into entertainment (Cirque du Soleil is full of gymnasts!) rather than competition, and some just do pure gymnastics until their bodies tell them itā€™s time to give it up. Admittedly being bi-polar in my debating hereā€¦ canā€™t remember my point on gymnastics anymoreā€¦ so yeahā€¦ it can exist without competition and yet itā€™s still classified as a sport.

Darts, bowling, and pool, howeverā€¦ not sports. :wink:

yoyoing is a skill sport, so yes, it is a sport. :smiley:

I agree with what Anthony Rojas said in the video "Toy." He said that there were four levels of yoyoing. At the first level, yoyo is a toy; at the second, a hobby; at the third level, a sport; and at the fourth and highest level, it is an art. So, yoyoing is everything.  ;D

YES!!! Real talk from a real player!!!

People who donā€™t agree with you arenā€™t real players?

I agree with all of this ^
I have two friends who do gymnastics. One of which is hoping to compete in the Rio olympics (he actually got invited to watch the london olympics, but not perform)
and the other does it solely because she loves it, with no plan on ever competing.
As far as people saying itā€™s not a sport, I donā€™t understand that at all. most professional gymnasts spend the bare minimum of 3 hours, 3 days a week training at the gym. Itā€™s incredibly physically demanding, both in stamina and strength. Thereā€™s no question whether or not something that requires that level of athleticism is a sport.
Things like bowling, darts, or billiards really arenā€™t. Theyā€™re as much sports as connect 4 or chess are.

i was aiming for ā€œproā€ so in my volcalb: ā€œrealā€=ā€œproā€

I think its more of an art form like drawing, playing an instrument, dancing, etc., even though there are competitions and contests that are held for them.

I donā€™t consider cirque du soliel to be ā€œgymnasticsā€ in the sense weā€™re talking when weā€™re deciding sports. Gymnastics, in that context, is the girls with leotards on the uneven bars. I think thatā€™s what absolutely everyone would picture immediately.

Itā€™s a semantic difference, though, Iā€™ll agree. We can also use the word ā€œgymnasticā€ to describe any physical prowessā€¦but ā€œgymnasticsā€, for me, has become a singular thing.

Iā€™m not sure if I agree that people really train in gymnastics without at least some intent to compete. Even if they donā€™t want to compete, theyā€™ll be training in a gym that trains competition gymnasts, and using the same training regimen as those gymnasts. They would be, for all practical purpose, training for a sport that they just never actually play. And again, Iā€™m not saying people canā€™t practice. What Iā€™m saying is that when they practice a sport, they are not engaging in the sportā€¦whereas when one practices an art, they are making art.