Iphone 6 September 9, 2014 - Anyone excited?

I am excited to see what apple has to offer. :slight_smile:

As for apple copying Android; well that just does not pass the laugh-test. The mobile experience on Android is a compromise between cost and performance. iOS, however, is an elegant, intuitive, easy to use and always reliable experience on all ecosystem devices.

Apple’s OSX is ready to scale to the internet of things. Android, is a cell-phone OS; built on Sun’s Java. It is not an ecosystem; it is a franchise.

Spoken like a fan… young male… :wink:

I have both types of devices in the house, and I enjoy different things about both. But to not acknowledge that iOS has its own ups and downs (how many times lately have I had to force close the app store? How crappy crappy crappy CRAPPY is the entire iTunes experience?) is also silly.

I do think that iOS can still boast a more responsive UI, and the only reason Android is catching up is because at some point in time the hardware just reaches that point that horsepower wins out. But that doesn’t matter. Who cares if it’s the horsepower winning out rather than optimization when the keyboards finally feel the same (and at least Android is wealthy with selection), transitions feel the same, etc.

It just becomes academic.

Right now my main reason to keep iOS around is it still has a better selection of games for preschoolers. The iPad also has AWESOME battery life, so you’re not always worried about plugging it in every night.

Speaking of preschoolers, here’s a test for intuitive UI… we routinely give our children (one 5, one less than 2) our various devices. The youngest can navigate iOS without any issue at all. He can only navigate my Android seamlessly for now when his icons are on the homescreen (which happens automatically) ORRRRRrrrrr… when I first tap on the “Applications” icon for him.

Once he’s in Applications, he can swipe until he sees the one he wants and then tap it.

He’s 22 months.

It’s that pesky “Applications” icon. Such a counter-intuitive name for a counter-intuitive experience. Imagine a computing device in which you have to click one thing before finding another? That would be like having OSX or Windows without an icon-covered desktop. I mean we know nobody clicks “Start” or goes to the “Applications” folder in OSX… we only use the desktop icons.

If anyone from the age 4 and up can’t figure out where the app drawer is, which brings them to an essentially iOS-like experience, they have some sort of cognitive issues.

So yes, iOS is easier to use for a 22-month old compared to Android not pre-populated with icons (and by default, newly-installed apps propagate icons to the home screen, so “Monkey Lunch Box” should be available for him as soon as you install it). But other than that, Android is easier because it can have a subset of the icons he really wants or needs.

Fast forward to age 4 (actually, I think the older one was only 3 now that I think about it) and they can grasp the intricacies of the more mind-boggling Android experience, wrap their heads around the counter-intuitive “applications” icon, and are off to the races.

Android is for people who want control over their OS, iPhones are for people who just want a smartphone.

My 4 works just fine. Sorry you have had a bad experience though, hopefully something will make up for it though.

Are you running the latest version? No lag at all (especially when typing)?

Yes. Every once in a while. Mainly when I first launch an app or right after I boot up the phone. Otherwise mine has been fine.

It’s because the patches Apple releases for iOS on old phones are meant to slow it down so you get the new fast iPhone. Puts on tin-foil hat

Not sure if trolling, or just crazy because practically every single “new” feature on iOS7 was copied directly off of Kit Kat, even down to the parallax backgrounds. the swipe down/up look identical, and added a bunch of short cuts that have been on android since Ice Cream Sandwich. The new multitasking also looks identical.

On the subject of elegance, yes Apple does use more fluid and slow animations to make things look better, but I could do that with a different launcher if I wanted. On the other hand, the settings in Android make FAR more sense where they are, and what they’re called.

PS: It’s based on Unix, the father of the best PC OS.
PSS: If it’s a franchise, than why the heck is it free?
PSSS: If Apple made an android phone, I’d probably consider it.
PSSSS: 3 buttons on the bottom is quite handy.

…not sure what to even say about these kinds of people. I can understand being excited for new hardware, but that’s beyond  obsessive at that point.

Depends on the person I think. I tend to think iPhones are for people with money to burn without regards to functionality, and Android (to an extent) is for people who… don’t have money to burn and know what they want.

Then on the Android side, Samsung is for people with money to burn without regards to functionality. Then phones like the Nexus series, Google Play Edition, and OnePlus One are for those who truly want control over their device (or in other words, know exactly what they want). Then every other non-mainstream Android phone is just a phone.

Of course, that’s just speculation for the most part and huge generalization.

Yep, I wouldn’t stand in line for most anything to be released. Get it when the hype is over when you can walk in and walk out.

I hate to break it to you, but the Galaxy line is quite powerful (To possibly the most powerful), and has a crazy amount of features that believe it or not are quite useful. I don’t usually take phone cost into account, and yes, the Samsungs are almost as expensive as the Apples, but most people dont really know the price anyways. They think the $50 they payed for it was it and that they’re really just paying for it over 2 years with a contract.

The Note line is the overpowered line from Samsung. The S5 is average, being behind the Z2, Note 3, and 1+1, then you have touchwiz, which bogs the phone down a bit.

Hahahaha, I love this thread so much.

Use what you like. Competition is only good for consumers. You should not want either side to “win”.

Me? I’m a power user, and a software developer. And yet I love my iPhone and Mac. You like Android better? Get an Android phone.

I also want to note that I ran Android exclusively for more than two years, rooted running CyanogenMod. My decision to stick with iPhone at the moment is not an uninformed one.

Ewwww Greg. I hate cluttered desktops. I almost exclusively launch apps via Spotlight (search) on OSX and on Windows by hitting the windows key and typing (search again). I guess I keep a few in my quick launch on Windows, but that’s it.

Luckily, both ways work. It’s like preference has a say or something…

I was totes being sarcastic. :wink:

The people lining up today are killing me! You’d think if they were lining up for the phone, they’d do their research? It will be ANNOUNCED tomorrow, yes. But nothing more, it’s always RELEASED 10 days later, so they’re going to be waiting a while lol

Ah… the old “new iphone” drill.

New iphone comes out that’s ever so slightly different to the old one. Chaos and mass hysteria ensues.

It’s funny that the chunky little 4s sitting on my desk in front of me was at one point responsible for people camping for days outside of shops. Now people think it’s outdated and you could probably pick one up for pittance on ebay…

My 4s does me just fine. I’ll use it until it breaks, and then just buy whatever’s out at that point.

I still have my upgrade with my carrier. So I can upgrade whenever my current phone starts to feel old.

BUT 240 FPS. OMYGORSH.

3 Likes

As if Apple will ever allow side loading.

It’s such a weird design. It’s like an android XD