Introduce Yourself!

Hi everyone,

my name is andy, I am from germany and new the the yoyo community. I am currently learning some tricks with the iyoyo iceberg -> I can handle the matrix and some binds so far <- not much but a start :).

Looking forward to talk to some folks about the throw and discuss topics.

PS.: Just ordered a ti-vayder -> can’t wait to get it.

Sorry for my bad english in advance…

11 Likes

Welcome back! and welcome to YoYoExpert guys!

5 Likes

Why hello!

Name’s Eric, I’m from California and I’m somewhat new to yo-yoing. I was into it for a little bit, then I dropped it after a little bit. I’m back now, starting fresh and trying things out again. I joined the forum so I could get a new recommendation so I can move on from my YYF One.

Cheers!

7 Likes

all good pops, us dads gotta stick together!

5 Likes

I’m Melissa, 32 years old. I am a beginner. My older brother tried to teach me back in the 90s when everyone had a yoyo…I was 7 and couldn’t get the hang of his unresponsive yoyo so I never really got into it like he did. I loved watching him do all the tricks that made me afraid of getting hit in the face lol.
I have found myself back into learning when a family member gave my 3&6 yr old sons one as a gift. However; it’s a blazing team vortex one (with a fox on it) and none of us know how to work it, lol. My husband can make it come back but not sleep, I can make it sleep but not come back, and my sons cant do either but the love the noise it makes.
I was lead here when I tried to research this yoyo to teach them but I cant find videos on this particular yoyo. And the written reviews I managed to find have conflicting info saying it is responsive where as others saying it isnt…then some reviews saying this yoyo brand they were given isnt good anyway…I find myself trying to play with it a lot so want to buy us all some beginner friendly yoyos that would still grow with us. I just have to research what yoyo would be the best fit for us, I think this would be a great place for me to do that.

8 Likes

Welcome!
There’s lots of great beginner yoyos. The best yoyos for beginners are the ones that come responsive but have an additional bearing that you can swap out when you’re ready. Some examples are the Recess First Base, the SF PLSTC, and the YYF Arrow Starter Kit.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forums!! :smiley:

If you’re just wanting to dabble around with this hobby and get your sons a couple of cheap yo-yos to toss around and maybe learn the basics…you can head to a nearby Target and pick some Duncan Butterfly XTs up…they’re actually pretty decent responsive yo-yos and they’ll only cost your $5 each! :smiley:

You’ll want to get the ones with the yellow butterfly logo on the packaging though, and not the ones with the metallic looking butterfly.
The ones with the yellow butterfly have just been updated and released by Duncan recently and are quite a bit better than the old ones with the metallic logo.

Get these ones:

Not these ones:

5 Likes

Thank you, I’ll look into those.
Our nearest target (and any store that isnt a walmart or dollar store) is 2hrs away in any direction so ordering online isnt a deal breaker. I’ll definitely look into each of those suggested yoyos!

5 Likes

Ah, I only suggested the Butterflies because they can be picked up in stores…but if you’re looking into making a purchase online…here’s another one to consider.
The YoYoFactory Whip. It’s a tiny bit smaller than the Butterfly XT, is responsive and more than enough to learn the basics with, is cheap, and is darn near indestructible! lol

5 Likes
4 Likes

Online is definitely going to give you the best options for the best prices in this hobby. The big box stores don’t really carry yoyos that are worth buying. Depending how serious you are looking to get, I personally recommend the Recess First Base for a great beginner yoyo. It is plastic, comes responsive out of box, has an extra bearing to make the yoyo unresponsive, and is only ~$20. This a great yoyo to grow with because as your skills advance, you can then change the yoyo to unresponsive and keep going.

6 Likes

@Mygoldendoe Also look at clyw.ca fools gold yeti if they still have them it’s a $5 plastic throw that is going to be 99.5% as good as the normal yeti. It is full unresponsive, but for $5 and the quality it’s at, it’s a ridiculous bargin (it’s how I got a friend a little into throwing).

5 Likes

Shoot I haven’t been active here that much. So I guess I’ll introduce myself now. Anyway, one of my friends was doing these cool tricks with his yoyos and I wanted to learn too. I have been throwing for a little over 5 months, starting unresponsive on the OD sugar glider. Almost instantly, I received a warm welcome from the community (I did not expect this at all) and have been learning ever since! Since my beginning, I’ve gotten an SK from a friend (he bought a teal one from yye, but got a teal/brown halfswap foe some reason, and messaged OD and they sent him a full teal one and let him keep the halfswap, which he gave to me) a kuntosh 5000qv, a rally, a windrunner 7068, (the rally and windrunner were given to me by @Astralis for doing a trick challenge from him) a cognition, a wedge, (not-so-secret-santa from @FrankieJR , thanks!) a PLSTC, (given to me by @sfyoyos because I was starting a club at school, which never got created because the teacher hosting it never replied to my emails even after reminding him at school multiple times. Now I teach people at school using it) and my favorite yoyo, a diffraction v2. I’m getting an MK1 Umbra and DANG 2 for christmas tomorrow. (Thanks @MarkD for adding the DANG 2 for no reason) I also won a 44graviti vulcan- thanks @44morgan ! I post tricks somewhat often on instagram and at the throwers discord. The hardest trick I’ve done so far (only hit it twice) is the reverse brent stole to rejection ninja vanish, but I’m trying to work on 1.5 and 2.0 hooks and other competition tricks because I’m planning on competing at VA states and Scales v3 online. I’m going to try to be more active around here, so expect to see more from me! (Even if it is just really bad trick circles)

10 Likes

Welcome @Legs09 :slight_smile:
By the way guys I chat with Legs daily and he is one cool kid that is a great asset to the community :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Legs09 just might be the biggest MK1 fan out there. Every day he’s repping the green Diffraction 2. Really excited to see you here on YYE, buddy!

4 Likes

Hello Yoyo Fam,

My name is Brandon. I got into throwing 'round about fall 2017 as a form of physical therapy for recovering from a Traumatic Brain Injury. At the time, I remembered how I enjoyed throwing as a kid in the 90s. It was unintrusive to those around me, and my hand-eye coordination felt better because of it back then. So, I took to the internet and looked up the state of throwing on Youtube.

As I picked my slackjaw off my keyboard after watching amazing videos for nearly three hours, i immediately began shopping for an inexpensive throw to get into unresponsive play. Settled on getting a Replay Pro. After nearly a month of just not getting how to bind, it finally clicked for me.

Then I saw videos of fingerspinning and fell in love with that aspect of horizontal play. I still suck at horizontal, but I do enjoy grinds and am getting better at them.

Steadily, I began collecting yoyos that looked fun and comfortable to throw for my clumsy hands. I started responding to folks in r/throwers and on youtube. Lo and behold, the people of this community are wonderful and make it ridiculously marvelous to be a part of.

TL;DR - Rediscovered throwing while trying to improve myself. Met friends worthy of being lifelong. Y’all are awesome and I am a better human for having known you.

PS - I met someone at WYYC2019, but lost the note I wrote with his YoYoExpert Forum handle. Hope I bump into you again, fellow yoyobro.

8 Likes

Welcome @Flynx
Your story was inspirational!
I hope you have been recovering well :slight_smile:
Merry Christmas :christmas_tree:

2 Likes

Hi, I’m a lurker and thought I should at least post here to say hi since I’ve become addicted to yoyo’s and this thread popped up.

I threw back in the 90’s, when people played DDR music for their performances. Looping was all the rage, and we had stamp cards that restricted us from learning “advanced” tricks. My career ended at the first card, the store eventually shut down, and the 90’s came to a close with it. I became interested again around 2010 when a car company had yoyo meets at their shop and uploaded a video of it to their blog. It peaked my interest, but I never did much except browsing, reading, and watching performances on youtube over the years because I had so many other expensive, time consuming hobbies. This year I had some life changes that gave me spare time and I had the desire to learn. This last October I finally made the plunge and started learning.

I wake up every morning throwing a break away into a kwijibo or cold fusion just to get my “fix.” I’ve found so much meditation and love for yoyo’ing, I’m always thinking about what I want to try next. I always had that interest and respect for it, I just never gave it enough time and effort in practicing as a kid after the store shut down. I’m still really new to all of this, but since I’ve been reading up on it through out the years here and there I’m relatively well read. I just have to start putting my knowledge in motion.

I just picked up some throws for black friday and have to say. I don’t know if I have the funds in my life to afford this new drug. I seriously have so many hobbies and interests that adding this will make me go nuts. I’ve discovered that this rabbit hole of collecting yoyo’s comes down to their personality and characteristics. They will always land any trick you throw at them, but every throw has a different personality, and you’re always looking for one that fits your own personality “just right.” I can see where this rabbit hole takes me, and I’m really not sure how I’m going to acquire old yoyo’s i’m in love with without a nice budget to bankroll my new drug addiction.

In any case, I’m sure I’ll be responding and replying to threads now and then since I’m in this for the long haul. I can already see myself throwing a sick combo to impress the kids when I’m 90. This community is something I hope to contribute to and help grow.

12 Likes

Hey man, welcome to the conversation :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! Glad to be here!

3 Likes