Introduce Yourself!

Hi @suspense, welcome to your new most amazing addiction. Buying secondhand can make the hobby much more affordable. Make sure and check out the Facebook YoYo BST and r/Throwers in addition to the Buy / Sell / Trade on this forum.

5 Likes

Thanks! I donā€™t have a Facebook, and I just hopped on the reddit. Iā€™ve actually been lurking the BST here for a month or so in order to get a good judgement of prices, keeping an eye out for what I like. So far Iā€™ve only bought from YYS/YYE stores and I snatched a Mystery Box from OneDrop. Iā€™m trying to keep my collection small, with the ā€œstaplesā€ and my own favorites. Iā€™m definitely going to start hitting up the BST once I get more tricks under my belt.

4 Likes

Hi all! My name is Frank. I first started yo-yoing in the late 90ā€™s as a kid. I remember there was a craze at the time. I owned a few different yomega throws like the fireball. I never really progressed very far with the lack of internet and young age. I recently stumbled upon the hobby though again after impulsively buying a Duncan Butterfly XT I saw at my local store. Since then (~ 3 weeks ago) I have fallen into a rabbit hole. I now own a few different throws. I moved from the Duncan XT > YYF Velocity > Shutter which I am really enjoying. I can perform a few different binds now and am currently working on double or nothing. I can land a lot of the basic tricks including brain twister, and some front and side mounts, I can land trapeze ~ 80% of the time, and if I miss the string I am able to quickly adjust. Iā€™m just having a blast though overall. Itā€™s so easy to fall into a zen like state and yo-yo for hoursā€¦ really enjoying it. Itā€™s just a great way to get away from computer screens after a day of work and de-compress. I canā€™t wait to meet more like minded people and continue to learn and advance in this awesome little hobby.

18 Likes

Hey welcome Frank @venom.

Good to have you here. :slight_smile:

Links down looking for club in Reno

2 Likes

I recall a time way back when I was first introduced to the yo-yo, a simple Duncan. I found it fun at first, but became bored very fast and away the Duncan went into the toy box never to be seen again. Fast forward lots of years and me liking to do fun stuff when I discovered a YouTube video of the 2018 World YoYo Contest! That was all it took for me to pick up another Duncan at Walmart for $3 and my new adventure began. So how are my yo-yo skills after a year? Well, not that great, but way better than when I was a kid! I look forward to many years of yo-yoing with newer technology.

7 Likes

Greetings, just a quick FYI, the post you replied to is from 2012, and the user that posted it, @chuckshort1, hasnā€™t been seen on the boards since Oct 20, 2016. Threads can run pretty long around here, and go well into the past sometimes. You might want to try posting in the the Yoyo Contests, Clubs and Events category and mention youā€™re looking for a club in the Reno area. Good luck!
Also, I used to throw with Chuck back in the '90s from time to time, heā€™s a good guy, so I kinda hope you find him!

4 Likes

Sounds a lot like my own story! Had a Fireball as a kid, never really learned anything past rock the baby and such. Came across a regular Butterfly in a hobby store about a year and half ago and away I went lol. Welcome to the hobby!

4 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Jonathan and I started throwing in the mid-90s, took it pretty ā€œseriouslyā€ from 1999-2004 before deciding it was officially a fun side hobby. Still have a few dozen yoyos that I kept, along with a few new ones.

I decided to sign onto this forum because all these years later Iā€™m teaching people I work with how to yoyo. Fancy that!

If you looked at my username and the timeframe and it rang a bell - yes, thatā€™s me.

9 Likes

Hi! Working on the cold fusion but I might have to come back to it. Nice to meet ya!

3 Likes

Hey man, welcome back! @Vegas

1 Like

Hey man, what I suggest with cold fusion is to learn something like a matrix to add infront or Buddhaā€™s revenge to add in to so you can go straight into it after the cold fusion. Those two tricks I find pairs well and I still throw those three into a combo quite often.
What I find helps to learn tricks you are stuck on is to also find a new tricks that you want to learn that combos well. And as you practice your new trick keep throwing in your old trick (CF in this case).
This way by the time you are starting to crack say Buddhaā€™s revenge, cold fusion should have got easier, and by the time you start cracking the next trick, Buddhaā€™s revenge should have got easier, and then cold fusion by then would become second nature.

6 Likes

Hi there!

Iā€™m a yoyo beginner, and for the moment I struggle with the basic throws.
Iā€™d love to meet nearby yoyoers, who could help me correct my mistakes.

Iā€™m learning with a Yoyo factory One, and I live in the south of France, near Nice.

So, letā€™s crawl through this forumā€™s posts and see what I can learn :wink:

BTW, Iā€™m a former juggler, and am quite surprised Iā€™ve seen plenty of diabolists in european juggling conventions, but not many yoyoers.

9 Likes

Welcome to the forums :smile::smiley::smile::grin::laughing::grinning:

3 Likes

Welcome!

Iā€™m a juggler too(among other props)

All these things talk in circles.

3 Likes

Similar story to mine aswell. Im Kamil from the Netherlands and my first intro to yoyo was back in the 90s hype aswell. Forgot about it eventually untill november 19 when I visited an event where people were giving chaep yoyos away as a promotional gift. Well I tried playing with it just to see if I could do the tricks I learned 20 years ago like rock the baby, around the world etc. Fastforward to today; I have 20+ decent yoyos, throwing every day and learning new tricks. No regrets, just wondering how good I could be today if I didnt quit practicing in my teensā€¦

5 Likes

How you doing Iā€™ve been doing yo-yo tricks since I was a little kid retired now hands are kind of done but still like my yo-yos but Iā€™d like to sell one very special one some of my favourite tricks used to be walk the dog around the world the trapeze swing rock and a few others

4 Likes

Sup. Iā€™m Goog, been Yoyoing for over 4 years but have never used the YYE forums. My favorite brands are SF and Amplified, and I have many others that I support as well. My favorite yoyo is the Bliss and my favorite trick is double slap Brent Stole. I sometimes post tricks on my Instagram @Googahgee and I dye yoyos pretty colors.

9 Likes

well welcome to the forums

4 Likes

Hey Goog :slight_smile:

3 Likes