I'm scared. Please help.

Sorry for your phobia thingy. One thing ive learned from yoyoing is that you will get hit in the head, and if you think it hurts now, wait till you get a metal yoyo. Hahaha butttt, as you progress you hand eye coordination gets better. Mines so good right now that if i throw and theres a knot to make it come back up immediately my whole body does a “matrix” move and it just barely misses my head. But he you gotta give to take. Push to pull.

Sorry to double post but i forgot to add this.

I had the same problem when i started, knot the phobia :wink: just the knotttss!!! They drove me crazy too bro. What you are getting is an acle knot, you can either unscrew and restring or take something long and skinny like a toothpick and stick the tip of it in the loop of the knot and pull it right out. Theses “bind knots” are the result of the string not “laying” into the gap as you try to bind. What is happening when you throw your loop down into the yoyo, the string is going into the gap but one side of the loop is wrapping itself around one half of the yoyo causing a quick knot. Once you get the “laying” of the string down you should get to many. I havent had one in forever from a bind. Good luck!

Axle knot******** tripple post my Bee!!

I see a lot of people saying stuff like this. By no means am I disagreeing with you, Gambit, that all did actually happen on the OLD Velocity. however, I don’t think it’s very plausible to say that Foofy can do all that with a lot of practice.

Yes, the Velocity yoyo can handle those tricks. however, Jensen didn’t learn on a Velocity, did he? No, he learned on high end metals, and once he was good enough, was able to pull it off on the Velocity. Just goes to show it really IS the player, not the yoyo.

So Foofy, don’t expect, even with tons of practice, to be able to land those tricks. Do yourself a favour, buy a DMII learn on that. Then, one day, maybe you can go back to your Velocity and try to pull off your best tricks.  :smiley:

I’m sorry mate, I didn’t mean it like that. The only reason I posted that video is because we were talking about the Velocity and that’s just an awesome video using one and showing its potential. Even with Jensen’s skills the combo he hits is only 30 seconds long, showing the limits of the velocity. I in no way buy into the “you’re a beginner so you should start responsive/with a cheap plastic” ideal, people should have a decent tool for the job.

When you’re first learning it’s a lot easier to learn tricks on a very stable, long spinning, unresponsive yoyo. I was playing with a Duncan Flying Squirrel the other day, and whilst now I can do a lot of tricks on it, it would have been a nightmare to learn with it. The way I see it, it’s easier to start off with something that makes up for your lack of skill… like training wheels on a bike (If I may recycle a previously used analogy).

Just my opinion though, so a pinch of salt is required. Makes me want to get a velocity though just try try it out. =D

What yoyo are you using? If your using a yoyo that’s super snaggy or responsive to bind it will most always get a snag which stops if from going all the way down like a not.

Like a Reflex, Loop yoyo such as the Raider Fireball Brain 900 1080 720 360 Etc

Even a dm2 with a responsive bearing might snag when you try to bind…

I think I came off as a little harsh there. I wasn’t criticizing you or the Velocity or whatever. I DO think that is an awesome video. I was just putting forth my opinion.

Sorry if I offended you :slight_smile:

Nah mate it’s all good! The whole point of forums is for people to share their opinions. :smiley:

1 Like

To fix this, take the string off your finger, hold the yoyo, and run the string through your index finger and thumb and then it won’t be too tight or too loose. This will prevent some snags and knots.

Wow, this was all very very interesting and helpful. So sometimes those “snags” are sometimes my falut and sometimes my yoyos fault? And for those who dont know, I am usig a New Velocity. My DM2 should be here in a half hour or less! ;D

Wow, great! It always feels really exciting taking a yoyo out of the packaging for the first time. Let us know how you like it!

Got it, played and toyed around with it with the responsive bearing in it, and it feels AAMMAAZZIINGG!!! Feels a billon times better than the New Velocity in every way, shape and form already! I know I am going to have a much better and more fun time learning with my DM2 than I have with the NV. And I did not even put the unresponsive bearing in yet! ;D

Got it, played and toyed around with it with the responsive bearing in it, and it feels AAMMAAZZIINGG!!! Feels a billon times better than the New Velocity in every way, shape and form already! I know I am going to have a much better and more fun time learning with my DM2 than I have with the NV. And I did not even put the unresponsive bearing in yet! It’s litrally heaven on a string! ;D

Just remember to switch to the full sized bearing before learning to bind.

The 6 out of 10 binds resulting in a snag is very high and is the result of improper technique. I’ve seen some videos saying “drop” or “throw” the loop into the gap. Don’t do this as it will usually cause a snag.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned to pull up on the throw hand; this is the way to do it. Combined with pinching the loop instead of having it simply looped around your finger. Reliable bind 99% of the time. Even with a huge loop (you’ll actually NEED a huge loop when you go to bind a slow-spinning yoyo!). With this kind of bind, the huge loop will still wrap around the axle effectively, leaving no snaggly tail behind.

1 Like

Sounds like you need help learning to bind, these were the 2 tutorials that were the most helpful to me when learning to bind, these are by far more informative than the rest out there:

Good luck!

Thanks Greg. And thanks grolk, I’ll take a look at them when I figure out how to change the bearing in my dm2 to the speed bearing, kind of having a little trouble as of right now.

This is one instance where I will say the yoyo makes the difference.
If it feels good, it is good, and you’ll enjoy it more.

I disagree with this. I believe that the learn rate will be a tad slower, but that all these tricks can be learned on a Velocity. Of course it will take a phenomenal amount of time (which also would on a slightly smaller degree on a highend metal), but I’m positive it can be done.

These things contradict each other :wink:

How so? The learn rate being slower means it will take a little more time than on a “best in the world yoyo”, it doesn’t mean it can’t be done.
To me, the velocity is a great yoyo, has decent stability, decent spin times, plays dead unresponsive on the unresponsive setting, and is a great yoyo. Grinds won’t be optimal and horizontals will be nearly impossible, but other than that it can be used to learn anything.