I'm scared. Please help.

I’ve been hit a few times hard. Once really made me have to kinda go down for a few minutes.

Wear a helmet with a face guard.

Seriously, you’re new. This stuff happens. You’re learning your bind. As you improve in time, it will get better. After a breakaway, throw a forward throw(regular, not a forward pass), bind. Then break-away again. Also, learn to manage string tension, it will reduce some of the snags causing your face to almost get tagged by flying plastic, metal, wood or whatever it is you’re throwing.

This will become less of a problem as you progress. Be persistent and keep at it. However, if you’re really worried, again, look at the string tension and learn to manage that.

Ummm, it’s not the yoyo. :wink:

It comes with practice and understanding the concepts.

ALSO, about 6 out of 10 of the times, when I throw, the string gets at the very side of the yoyo because it always loosens itself up, if you understand what I am saying? This is a problem with the string, not me (for once) which messes me up sometimes. Is there any way to KEEP the string tight around the bearing in the middle and not have it go off to the side without having to buy anything?

Haha i used to freak out about that i kept hitting my funnybone but now i dont feel it haha what i do if im transitioning from a breakaway that think has a knot i throw it regularly but very softly to see if i have a knot

This is still a problem with you. That is just how yoyo string works - sometimes the tension messes up. It’s your responsibility to fix the tension in the string to prevent it from doing that. Having poor string tension is also probably a source of your knots.

I don’t want to sound harsh, but I’m just gonna come outright and say it.

Whenever you think it’s the yoyo’s problem, it’s you. Always. The only occasion where this is wrong is if your bearing is loud, your yoyo malfunctions (a response pad falls off or the string falls off or breaks), or if the yoyo explodes. Then it’s the yoyo’s fault. But otherwise, it’s you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, especially since you are so new to yoyoing, you have to always assume it’s you. Chances are, it IS you. All these things you are blaming your yoyo for in this thread–It’s you.

Oh, and just wanted to say, the DM2 isn’t suddenly going to make you better at yoyoing, or make you able to hit tricks you couldn’t on your Velocity. Generally, anything I can do on a DM2 I can do on a Velocity.

Ok, thats totally fair. I dont understand though how or why though the string goes off to the side… Can anybody please explain why? And I do understand that the dm2 wil NOT make me better automaticaply, but at least its more of a professional yoyo making it… more… fair? By fair I mean IF I do somethig wrong, then I actually do somethig wrong, but if I do something right, then I actually did something right. But I totally undrstand how it is me though. You guys are not mean at all…

What do you mean by “professional” in this context? I’ve never really heard this term, besides in yoyo advertising.

DMII is basically gonna take you far. Like, ADVANCED far. Look what Andre can do in the tuts. He’s using a WORSE version of the DMII (the Dark Magic one). Just think about that for a moment.

As for the string off center, do you mean the part of the string that loops around the bearing is not in the center of the bearing? Really, I haven’t found a way to help this. I’ve heard people say that it comes with practice, but really, how can you even control that? The velocity gap is small, though, when you move onto a full gap yoyo, the variation from left to right will be less noticeable.

Thanks for letting me know that grolk, and by professional , I mean a yoyo that can actually be used in tournaments. The DM2 is obviosly a bit better well made than an all plastic yoyo by MOST means. But it does not mean that it is not capable of doing good things.

Mmk well thanks again, hopefully I will get over it. :-\

See, personally, I wouldn’t use a DM2 in a contest. With today’s playstyles, and what judges look for in a freestyle, I feel that the DM2 is a tad outdated. The midwall doesn’t really allow for good horizontal, and it’s a bit sluggish, so you can’t really get that speed stuff, but that’s just me. I also find it’s too big to do tech. Really, for competition, I don’t think the DM2 is an ideal choice. This is not to say it’s a bad throw, because it isn’t. It rocks! :slight_smile:

And, I can think of quite a few plastics that are just as well made as the DM2, if not better… :stuck_out_tongue:

I will however, say, that the DM2 is clearly a step above the Velocity. It’s a great throw. I think you’ll love it.

Oh, and I always see you talking about “tournaments”. Are you planning on competing? That would be cool!

Nonono, not for a heck of a long time. Just using the word “tournamemt” as a benchmark, if you know what I mean? I can understand that the dm2 is a bit outdated, that makes perfect sense with these new yoyos like the yeti and dv888 etc. etc. But it seems very decent. For me, just knowing that it is POSSIBLE to do just about every trick possible. I know that it is also possible with the NV, but… I dont have an excuse

I know what you mean. It just “feels” higher quality. The DM2 is a great yoyo, and like you said, can do just about anything. I think you’ll be very happy with it. I remember when I was a novice, the two “best” throws were the DM2 and DV888 (The PGM seemed to be a community favorite as well). Oh, how far we’ve come since those days. :smiley:

ACTUALLY! I was seriously considering giving my dm2 back for a refund because I am afraid the dm2 will be too big for my hand, lolol. I consider myself a beginner substage in the intermediate level, shoild I trade my dm2 back for a dv888 before I open it? Or get the dv888 when I become more advanced before I even touch a metal yoyo? Because yes, I know that the dv888 is more for advanced people, but who knows…

If you are going to trade it for something make it a rally. But really, you won’t need to.

Keep the DM2. The DV888, if you look around, isn’t “the best throw ever” like a lot of new people consider it. There are people who really love it, and there are people who really hate it. Plus, it’s undersized, so it isn’t the best choice for someone new. It’s a good yoyo, it just doesn’t fit my preferences. Once you get more experience, you’ll realize there are better throws for a similar price. The DM2 won’t be too big, trust me.

I thought that it would be quite big for me because I have seen it in andre’s hand and it seems a bit bigger, and I would not be surprised if I was 10?? Years maybe? Younger than him… so yeah I just kind of figured…

^ Proof of what is actually possible on a Velocity.

As far as the string flying to the edge of the bearing and rubbing the response, unless you have worlds most perfect throw then it’ll happen. String centering bearings (KK, Centre Trac, Trifecta) will solve this problem. =)