I'm really enjoying my new DV888

Or the Duncan Reflex…

This whole thread makes me want a dv888. Not more than an 888, but still…

3 Likes

It’s worth it!.. But I’m a real minority here in liking it, I feel.

4 Likes

Hilarious, I had no idea that bearing goof was actually a widespread thing! That happened with my ooch & both my glides.

5 Likes

DV888 is a fun throw. I bought one on a whim when I saw it at a local sporting goods store. It’s an older design and from an era when undersized yoyos ran rampant but I enjoy yoyos old and new. Currently, my DV888 has hubstacks on it. It’s heavy but still buttery smooth!

5 Likes

Errr what? No version of DV888 supports hubstacks. Maybe you are referring to the 888 which is actually… good…

1 Like

Nope, It’s definitely a DV888.

So here’s how that happened…I was bored one day, noticed it had the axle that could potentially go thru the other side. I had some hubstack posts from a cheap plastic Chinese yoyo and a longer axle. I ended up running the longer axle through (probably not the best idea as it did end up threading the axle area the rest of the way through) and put on the hubstack posts, and popped on the hubstacks.

10 Likes

I have had a bruised palm from my old CP mag

2 Likes

Funny thing, preferences. Over the years I had four 888, different versions, and I traded all of them away. It wasn’t that I disliked them, I just didn’t enjoy them for some reason, but I loved my Skyline starry night and still play it regularly. Hmm go figure! :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I have to say I agree with a lot of comments posted here. However the DV888 will hold a special place in my heart because it got me back into throwing after being away from it for like 15+ years. It all started when I saw the promo video for it.

All that being said and knowing what I know now the DV888 is not a “good” Yoyo and I wouldn’t it recommend to anyone starting out in todays market. There are much much better options at lower price points.

Also for anyone wondering what the promo video was: https://youtu.be/vTgklI5MbVg

4 Likes

Preferences are king. People get really caught up in saying that this yoyo is “good” or “bad”, when in reality people prefer things that are very different.

The measure of something being good or bad is completely relative depending on what one is looking for.

5 Likes

how does a yoyo play like a brick
u strung up a brick and played with it b4?

1 Like

Yes.

3 Likes

IMO the DV888 is a pretty fun & quirky yoyo, I don’t really consider any yoyos of mine bad, just more or less proficient at certain tasks. But the criticisms of it are still really valid, it’s old, overpriced, & plays like rubbish responsive. YYF should sell it unresponsive for 20 to 30 bucks

2 Likes

Little bit of a bump but I stacked one too

Plastic grind machine stack posts work on it. So much fun.

7 Likes

Im a fan of anything with Ms Connolly in it :+1:t6:

2 Likes

Just got a b grade DV888 today. I wasnt a fan on it when I tried one in the past responsive. I’m surprised with how much i am liking it unresponsive. Very satisfying thumb grinds.

4 Likes

@Glenacius_K i got the same colorway today and totally agree! don’t understand why people hate it. it’s super smooth too. @codinghorror wanna change my mind? :wink:

4 Likes

Don’t say that!

1 Like

Yeah, just leave it alone. If someone likes it and enjoys it, very cool. Any time this yoyo gets mentioned half the people here chime in with the same comments as the last time someone mentioned this yoyo. It almost seems like people here are being forced to buy one and they need to vent about it.

3 Likes