If you could go back to the beginning

I took it as in the past is over and the future is not here yet. For me, a lot of times my present is ruined because I am holding onto hurts from the past and filled with anxiety about future situations that usually never occur. Back to yoyos…when I learn a trick I start worrying I may forget how to do the trick. Nowadays I try to practice basic tricks as well as whatever else I am trying to learn.

2 Likes

I completely agree with chrisfrancz. It’s waste of time worrying about future as we cannot guarantee 100% of what we think will happen the way we think and thinking about past.

1 Like

I am talking of real life scenario and your talking about this forum. Both work differently.

1 Like

I would tell myself: practice straight throws. Straight throws are the keys to success.

2 Likes

What are you asking?

Wendigomon's_Iris_DTM_3

“Buy that Avalanche! It’s the only other pre-pro you’ve ever seen! Buy it!!”

1 Like

Here

What did you miss?

change your string more often

sometimes the solution is just to swap out the bearing, not to change the yoyo

are you sure you don’t wanna do a safety throw?

don’t front on frontstyle

try more new things even while you keep practicing the old

throw yoyo everyday

1 Like

What do you mean by ‘don’t front on frontstyle’?

Ah I get you… I missed the tip about letting the yoyo float over your TH and about keeping the TH still with your thumb putting up (having a little momentum seemed to help the rejection as well).

I used to twist my throw hand to help the yoyo land on the string (I still have to separate the string with two fingers for the catch - can’t suss it without) but found when I did this the rejection would never happen.

I was so keen to try learning it on the yoyo that I didn’t really listen to the instructions…

1 Like

I think he means “don’t look down on frontstyle”. Gotta get up to speed on today’s urban lingo, brah (though I think “front” is considered so last year now…).

For my own part, I don’t spend much time with frontstyle because of its comparatively limited repertoire. However, I nevertheless feel it is really important to learn frontstyle fundamentals even if one plans to focus mostly on side and horizontal play.

2 Likes

Front is all that interests me and it’s only as limited as the user.

The vast difference in the sizes of the established repertoires would suggest otherwise. I think there are practical limitations (to frontstyle) that transcend the imagination or enthusiasm of the player. Let’s not forget that most frontstyle tricks can be performed “to the side,” while the reverse is not true.

1 Like

I’m not interested in repertoires. I just find front more appealing personally. No diss to any other style. A year from now, who knows? I only find front limiting when I try to follow a trick guide. Anyhoo…it’s just a toy!

No, I’m talking about your post, here on the forum.

1 Like

Yes that’s it - I’ve always felt that frontstyle could be developed more and not just serve as filler in freestyles.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

I talk about repertoires because I have found that yoyoing and playing a musical instrument have many similarities. As someone who is learning to play the oboe, the issue of repertoire rears its head periodically. It’s impossible to escape entirely. I love the sound of the oboe. I also love the aesthetics and portability of the instrument. However, the trade-off is a very limited repertoire, which means I am going to have difficulty finding material to play. It is a trade-off I am willing to make, but at the same time, I am keenly aware of the limitations of my chosen instrument in terms of what I can do with it. I am able to love the instrument while also acknowledging its (practical) limitations.

3 Likes

You’re being facetious, right?

Yeah, this is an important perspective. One way to think about this is that painful past events are still hurting you if you hold on to them – don’t let them do that to you! Leave the past behind.

Another way to look at this is to never, ever, EVER hold a grudge. Grudges are like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. :skull_and_crossbones:

4 Likes