If you could go back to the beginning

Hello,

Thought provoking question… especially as I’ve only been throwing around 12 months casually.

If you could go back in time and speak to yourself in the early days of being a thrower, what would you tell yourself?

Although I’ve been throwing for a short time, I would tell myself to slow down when learning tricks and stop trying to copy the speed of better players.

I’ve spent so much time messing tricks up because I didn’t actively listen to the tutorial and missed really fine details which made the trick a damn side easier (cough cough Magic Drop).

10 Likes

If I could go back to the beginning, I would throw right handed. Lol

4 Likes

I would tell myself to do 4a instead of 1a.

2 Likes

Care to expand?

2 Likes

You mean explain?

1 Like

Yes explain… in other words, expand on your comment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would tell myself to get a metal and learn unresponsive ASAP.

7 Likes

I’d say pay attention to the people. Hold your friends close. Appreciate them - especially the ones you make in the beginning because you don’t forget them. And some of them you’ll care about and never get to see again, so be grateful for them and let them know it.

The yo-yoing takes care of itself. I’ve always loved it and I’ve always been stubborn. Wouldn’t need to tell myself a thing about how I should throw, and if I did I wouldn’t listen to me anyway.

But the people. I miss a lot of people, a lot of moments. And I just wish I’d known how grateful I’d be down the road when those moments were happening.

18 Likes

I wouldnt change a thing.

3 Likes

Don’t go back in time.
It never works out.
Trust me.

6 Likes

dont throw instead of other choices or working.

2 Likes

Ooh nostalgia, excellent word sir

1 Like

When I started I got into collecting big time. Which I still enjoy. But I would try to remember quality over quantity. I got a lot of cheap mystery box type things and eBay specials that would been money better spent on solid yo-yos.

13 Likes

If I could only go back a couple of years, which is when I started throwing, I probably wouldn’t change a single thing. I suppose, I could give myself some tips that would help me along the way and accelerate the process of learning. Which, of course, can be very slow sometimes, even when you’re only missing one very small detail. But I think I like it that way. Slow or not, the process of learning new tricks and becoming better is a very enjoyable one. Thinking of all the frustration of not being able to do the boing-e-boing turning into pleasure once I finally managed to do it, I can safely say, “it was worth it.”

Now, if I could go back to the day when I picked up my first yo-yo and put it down after a few days of playtime, I’d say, “don’t you dare, sir! Don’t you dare!”

5 Likes

Everyone’s yoyo journey is different but yet similar it certain aspects. If I could change anything about mine it would be, nothing, seriously. I’ve loved every moment, the progression, the rewards from participating in the activity, and the role it’s played in my quality of life. Yep, nothing, perfection as I’m incredibly happy and fortunate in regards to the joyous activity and still walk the dog on demand without hesitation.

3 Likes

Ed gets it.

The journey is the destination.

6 Likes

vnbn

12 Likes

That’s one of the best quotes from any show ever.

5 Likes

MIne is essentially the same as @anon19434144: learn to bind and ditch responsives ASAP. I’d also tell myself to avoid the forward pass and to not practice the breakaway by itself, but only as part of learning to land the trapeze mount. I’d be able to avoid the nerve damage I suffered to my right thumb by taking this advice.

2 Likes

Don’t give up…

2 Likes