need help to get back into yoyoing

hi lately I have been not having the will to learn new tricks or yoyo should i quit or is there some way to get over this?

Have you done any other styles of yoyo’ing? Offstring, Counterweight, Looping?

Maybe give them a go and see if you can get out of your slump.

If all else fails just put them down, go do something else for a while. Don’t burn yourself out on a hobby, you may never come back to it.

I guess you could sell your yoyos to me for dirt cheap :wink: haha jk but we all have those moments where we want to quit and the comment above is completely true. sometimes we just need to go do something else for a while. or you could buy a new throw. that always help motivate me.

Not all of us have the money for that.

I’ve found going to a contest or meet is your best way to motivate yourself

if that’s not an option getting a new yoyo can sometimes help or watching the right yoyo vid

This happens to me with most hobbies I pick up. I’m just starting to throw, so I’m hoping I won’t feel that apathy any time soon.

It may help to ask yourself what drew you to throwing in the first place or why you loved it when you did. If that element is no longer there, is there a way to get it back?

What draws me in as a newbie is making my first YYE purchase, so maybe you could get a new yo or even some string or a new bag/case (or make your own). I’m just building my collection, but if you have a good one already, perhaps do some trading and switch things up a bit. I like watching YouTube videos because they motivate me to practice so I can hopefully be that good one day. I also enjoy checking out different teams’ blogs like the CLYW one because I dig seeing the amazing anodizing those guys do. You could also try reaching out to local yoyoers, going to events, entering contests, or starting your own blog or YouTube channel.

Best of luck to you. I know it’s no fun to be stuck in a rut. I’m rooting for you.

Nobody should feel like they “have to” stick to a hobby they’re not enjoying. I’ve read a few threads lately from people who quit for a while and they rediscovered it. Could happen to you! Or maybe it won’t. If you absolutely must try to force the issue, the advice to try a different style of play is sound advice.

But really… who on earth can tell you how to regain joy for something? Nobody can. Only you can discover it, or not. There’s no reason to lament losing momentum in a hobby… it happens to every hobbyist the world over. If it’s not yoyoing, you might find a new hobby you enjoy just as much. Painting Warhammer miniatures or something. :wink: There’s no shame in trying new stuff. Yoyoing sounds like it has been good to you, but don’t be afraid to let yourself feel joy for something else!

Yoyoing doesn’t have to be an every day event. It doesn’t require that you need to learn something new daily, weekly, or monthly. It can be all of those things, but it needn’t be.

The special thing about yoyoing is that it can be so personal. So you don’t throw regularly, you seem to be losing your drive and interest, don’t sweat it. Keep a yoyo or two on hand, most people that think they’re leaving yoyoing come back off and on.

Don’t feel guilty, just find something else to bring you joy and happiness. You can always come back to yo.

I enjoy it but it is hard to get into it competivly

Watch some inspiring videos, or competition videos.

Buy a new throw, or more than one!

Join a yoyo club or go to a contest

Learn a new style of yoyo

Come up with a new trick and share it

Make youtube videos on how to do tricks

Make a yoyo awesomeness website/blog

Yep, i throw like once a week, maybe longer. And it’s not for hours, just a few minutes.

thank you for the help but i need motivation to learn new tricks

Not sure what you’re asking for here. A pep talk? Some people have tried to give you that. :wink: Some of us are more “You don’t ACTUALLY need to learn new tricks. You can just yoyo. Or not.”

That’s what you get when you post to a public forum… all kinds of perspectives! I don’t mean mine to sound like a downer; just the opposite-- people shouldn’t feel “pressure” to enjoy things! That’s not enjoyment at all! Yoyo as much as you feel like yoyoing and no more. Unless it’s your livelihood or you do plan on competing and need to stay sharp… those cases demand a bit more “suck it up”. But if it’s something you do for enjoyment… just do it as much or as little as you need to in order to enjoy it!