I got scammed out of $140 by @Enjoit

Again, for clarity, my post was not directed to you.

And yet, you didn’t.

no f’n way.

poop!!!

yeah brother. we got scammed. money gone. he got away.

always use G&S. lol.

sorry for your loss. now we both know, as does the community at large.

thank you for letting me know.

kgb

5 Likes

exactly.

which is why your post feels like rubbing my nose in it.

kgb

3 Likes

@andy569 i’m going to spend a little time later and see if there is any recourse here. my guess is that there won’t be but if i find anything, i’ll let you know.

thanks
kgb

6 Likes

@TheHelveticaScenario Keith and I sent Venmo because the seller said he couldn’t take Paypal, not because we were scared of a 3% insurance fee. If I knew Venmo had a G&S option I would’ve done that. We were just lazy and had too much trust in people, which is a bad thing as well. We didn’t send venmo because we had “fear about PayPal G&S fees”

Regardless, yes, you should always send G&S and we were just stupid not to. The reasoning for it is irrelevant.

7 Likes

He’s just going to get banned. That’s about it, nothing else to be done. Oh well, what can you do, live and learn.

Merry Christmas

6 Likes

Venmo has NO claim resolution options/recourse for fraudulent transactions? Can you dispute it with your bank?

3 Likes

Really no legal action can be taken? There was no name linked to his Venmo account?

All those alluring Anti-Yo side effects and the " I had know Idea" seller remarks didn’t set well with me. I assume the OD Code with the Anti-Yo Hearts for $70 wasn’t actually sold.

4 Likes

as i mentioned g&s isn’t 100%…. and also i had f&f cover me when that one dude burned a bunch of us on here.

4 Likes

Feel like once it’s in Venmo the bank has nothing to do with it but there has to be a way to take legal recourse

3 Likes

If it was purchased with a credit card account you could easily get a full refund. Live and learn.

2 Likes

I think what makes any transaction on the forums complicated is that these are disputes between two private parties and without organizations or establishments involved. I’m going to give it a few more days to see how it shakes out as I’ve emailed the dude at the PayPal email he provided me. Otherwise I’m just gonna accept this as a loss and lesson learned in who I choose to trust in the community.

I don’t condone this behavior, especially because it undermines what this community is about, however I’m sure there’s something to be said as to why someone would be driven to do something like this (that is if he chooses not to respond or acknowledge what’s happened). It is that time of the year where crime is high, times are tough, inflation is real and some choose to do stuff that aren’t too great for the community. Again, not condoning or accusing him, just saying that this stuff happens, especially around the holidays, and stuff happens.

That being said, I think there’s probably a small avenue to take by taking a dispute up with Venmo or PayPal directly if you can furnish good documentation and a good narrative of what happened, although I doubt they’d want to pour too many resources into helping recover what they consider is a small amount of money. That’s capitalism for you but I’m gonna give it a shot anyways.

My two cents, hope it helps.

4 Likes

I get it. No one is attacking you personally. This is a “learning opportunity”. I’ll repeat myself again – for the people in the back – my comments were not directed to either of you. You fully understood the risks of what you were doing, did it anyway, and got burned. You are not disputing this. I am not disputing this. Nobody is disputing this.

My point is that scammers absolutely will use fees as leverage to induce people to do things that are not in their best interest. Also they’ll just say that can’t take PayPal and hope no one thinks it’s weird or suspicious. They aren’t fools and will look for the easiest avenue of attack. If it works, it works.

Regardless, even if you use a payment service without paying for the built-in protection that is obviously there for an obvious reason, there are still ways to recuperate your money. Example: it appears on Venmo (and other popular platforms) you can use a credit card as the direct funding source. Supposing you had the foresight to do that in spite of an otherwise risky transaction, you’d simply initiate a chargeback with the credit card company – problem solved. That way you could still be wantonly reckless and ultimately protect yourself from yourself. Again, “learning opportunity”.

6 Likes

So, this summer I was scammed. Here is how I went about it
1- find out if other people were scammed too. More people = more strength
2- did the seller have a good reputation - can you find other people who have done transactions with him?
3- from the people who have done successful transactions, can you figure out his address?
4- contact the police in his town, tell your whole story, file a report.

In my case, we were about 10 people who have been scammed of around 1,000$ in total. I contacted the police, the sheriff talked to the guy. The sheriff kept in touch. In the end, the guy shipped various packages to everybody. Not at all what we ordered, but something. He scammed me out of 300$ - I know, I’m not super smart. Package received was completely different, but maybe worth a bit less. For sure it was nice to receive something when I thought everything was lost.

13 Likes

I’ll be leaving his account active for a while. I don’t want to cut off one of his ways of contacting the buyers if there’s some odd explanation for this. …And I really hope there is, though history isn’t on the buyers side here unfortunately.

10 Likes

@Pierre , thanks for sharing that with us. Sounds like a good course of action. Seems like there are at least 3 of us so, that’s a start.

Live and learn.

This stinks because there are great people in this community. Heck, I’d send Pierre cash money for a throw with no worries. :wink:

But, this is life. Chalk it up to experience and I’ll move on.

kgb

9 Likes

Posts like this make me miss the old trader feedback system. Though @enjoit does have 18 positive trades so I guess that’s a hit or miss system anyways.

7 Likes

Everytime I see this kind of post…… it reminds me of when I was scammed! Make a mistake like that…… ( it really hurts…) and you will never make it again! Lesson learned! Period
I almost forget it…… & then someone gets stung!

8 Likes

Who’s got his address???

4 Likes