I don’t understand the love for all the “organic” throws

I can’t really say my goal is to get particularly good. My goal is to be merely adequate enough to enjoy myself. It is a pretty low bar to set, but I know my limitations, both in terms of physical dexterity and attention span.

2 Likes

This whole thing is reminding me of when I first started skating. I naturally learned how to push by pushing Mongo [with my front foot].

A lot of the more seasoned skaters would tell me that pushing Mongo was not good because it looked particularly tacky and made it more difficult to set up for tricks, since most flips are executed with the front foot.

I fought it for almost 15 years, telling myself that I didn’t need to look cool while skating. I could just push the way that I knew and be okay with it. Then one day I thought, what’s the harm?

So I started retraining myself to push with my back foot and it felt super awkward and unnatural for a couple of weeks. But eventually it started to feel more natural and powerful.

In retrospect, I don’t regret learning how to push Mongo, but I wish I would have been less stubborn and just learn how to push regular from the get-go. I don’t do street skating anymore, I mainly just cruise on longboards. I’m getting too old for all that risky stuff lol.

Now I have an extra benefit of feeling confident pushing with both feet during longer commutes. It helps to more evenly distribute the strain of pushing, which is nice.

I’m not sure how exactly this translates to the conversation we’re all having, but I feel like there are some similarities in there somewhere.

@zslane you don’t have to prove anything to anyone, and you don’t have to do anything that you don’t want to do. But maybe all of these more experienced players give the advice that they do for a reason. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

Well bro if you’re having fun then that’s literally all that matters, so you do things your way!

That sounds suspiciously like an Appeal to Authority. :thinking:

3 Likes

And you sound stubborn haha.

5 Likes

Perhaps. If so it comes from a lifetime of people telling me what’s best for me, when they don’t really know me well enough to do so.

2 Likes

Now you listen here boy

I think I’m done with this conversation. It’s not going anywhere. Happy. Throwing. :vulcan_salute:t2:

3 Likes

I totally agree with that.

I remember waaaay back when I was in College.

The Professors were Always trying to tell people what to do when they didn’t really know them that well.

Welp; it’s time for me to take my daily walk through the forest. I have to leave now. Because I stop and argue with every tree that I pass. And I need to get home before dark.

…I had the craziest dream one night😳

I had this dream that some very nice folks with much more experience than me in a certain field; were actually attempting to give me Free advice to shorten my learning curve.

But having a skull made out of the same penitentiary steel as yours; I scoffed at their weak attempt to take over my mind and control my life.

Because they don’t know me well enough to tell me anything.

Life is a peach🤔

13 Likes

doc sometimes your replies make me laugh so hard, im afraid i might burst a vein

4 Likes

Cool Hand Luke is a great movie on the nature of authority. We watched it in film class in college. This arguably the most famous speech / dialog from that movie.

3 Likes

That’s the best way, though I did cheat at times and used a raider.

3 Likes

When I first tried the transaxle fireball I thought I had the greatest string trick yoyo of all time :joy:

That was before I had discovered any online shops or forums.
Blew my mind when I found wide string trick yoyos made of metal.

1 Like

I’ve gone through a ton of yoyos of different shapes and sizes over the years, and I have a wide variety in my collection. I definitely enjoy organics because of their generally more laid back play and comfortable feel in the hand, but I also love the oddball shapes and all out-performance beasts as well.

I must say that even though organics share similar shapes, they all feel distinct in their own way. The same can be said of all the throws that are V-shaped, H-shaped, etc. Slight variances in design can definitely be get on the string, and you get a better feel for those subtleties the more you play with different throws. I will say that differences in organics do strike me as more subtle during play than differences between other shape-types, but they are still different enough for me to justify having more than a few :stuck_out_tongue:

I also think that just because a throw is organic doesn’t mean it’s inherently less of a performance throw than any other class of yoyo. My MMC can spin with the best of them, and it’s not lacking in any stability.

Slightly off topic, but my favorite throws are the ones that completely catch me by surprise. When I read the specs, look at the shape, and I’m like ahhhh I know what that’s going to feel like. Then I use it, and I’m like what in the world. How did they do that? The Akita or the Prescription are probably my most recent memories of that happening.

1 Like

True words, but a lot of people around here flatly disagree with that statement. People just don’t believe it or don’t care.

8 Likes

Gelnacius_K - yes that will always be the case. People will always disagree. But as soon as folks stop ‘preachin the gospel’ lol then causality will become much worse. I’m always just tryna keep folks informed and aware of the 'why’s. I’m fine with folks disagreeing (has been the case for over 10 years and running). I have literal ‘eras worth’ of friends who agree with me regardless - def have no point to prove : D

4 Likes

JohnnyJ - you wasnt ‘wrong’ doh lol. The Fireball is/was a damn good yo-yo.

5 Likes

I remember practicing for a Playmaxx/ProYo event in the mid 90’s. Having trouble with some tricks on the required ProYo II yoyo, so I’d “cheat” and grab my Tornado or Bumble Bee to work the tricks out :rofl:

3 Likes

Just ordered a First Base and a YYF legend. This should be fun :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Look for a Duncan FHZ and/or a Super Yo Renegade. They’re both fairly easy to find on eBay. If you want to use the yoyos that most used for years.

Take a look at all these classic tricks that Paul made on a Freehand

7 Likes

You will love the Legend Wing, it’s such a great yoyo for the price and because it’s so cheap you can take it anywhere without worry.

I think the First Base is the only current plastic that has caught my eye recently, I’ll have to pick it up someday.

4 Likes