I can’t bind

When do I let go of the string and tug?

It’s like an Ollie if you skate. Drop then tug, but you will have to feel out the timing. I agree with @yoyodoc though. Your throw looked pretty weak in the video and didn’t roll off of your fingers. It looks like you let it fall off of your palm. This might cause you to throw it into a major wobble.

1 Like

My sleepers are way better now. I throw at full force.

1 Like

Then keep your hands straight and get that bind down!

1 Like

Good job! After awhile your binding will become smoother and less awkward and it’ll be something you do without having to think about it too much. Notice how it looks like people in yoyo do not even bind. The first bind people are taught is my least favorite. Just type in yoyo bind on youtube and you will see all kinds of techniques!

This is an easier bind and what I learned first. You got this, man!!!

4 Likes

I used the technique that the video and @Oroboryo showed me. But it still didn’t work.

1 Like

Here ya go I think😳>>>

…ps… my apologies to the OP for not getting his screen name correct.
I had just dropped my girl off at JoAnns Fabric Store. I told her I would wait outside. I drove to the opposite end of the lot to lessen the chances of getting run over by Mall traffic. You will notice I keep pretty vigilante as I look around from left or to the right. There is obviously no editing. No second takes… I just got my IPhone 12 Pro with the Roklock magnetic case and stuck it to the side of my truck. The wording could have been better… but I rehearsed nothing. I just pull out the iron and start shooting.

Interestingly, right after I ended the recording, as I put my phone back in the holster, several people that found what I was doing interesting for ‘whatever’ started up and drove away.

The yoyo I am wearing is a Luftverk 000 modded by rounding off the sharp edges.

The actual yoyo I was using was the old grey Canvas(fools gold edition) that I found in the lot of yo-yos I got from Jeff.

8 Likes

Dude, this is the first time I ever saw @yoyodoc making and posting a video to help out a specific beginner. It is, in my opinion, a HUGE honor. He is right (of course), forget that bind and just hit the back string like he is showing you. Learn to throw with good RPMs so the yoyo is not just spinning but spinning with speed and you will nail binding in a few days. I know it’s important to understand different binds and bind theory, but the first bind most people teach is in my opinion, hokey not to mention, awkward. And remember, as the good Doc said, don’t put your face in your work unless you’re eating pie or roast beef.

7 Likes

Based on this video, I think you’ve got the string on the wrong side of the yoyo when you throw it. Make sure the yoyo string looks like this before you throw:

yoyo hold

If you hold it the other way then the yoyo spins the “wrong” way and normal binds won’t work. It’s also a lot harder to throw straight and strong that way.

6 Likes

I just tried to bind my Replay Pro by throwing it with the string on the wrong side of the yoyo and it got the EXACT same result.

1 Like

How long does it take to master the bind?

Please address the the things that people have pointed out that may be causing you problems. Is the string on TOP of the yoyo when you throw? Did you watch yoyodoc’s video with that simple bind? There is no real time in which someone should be able to learn a trick.

2 Likes

Make sure your yoyo looks like this in your hand before you close your fingers on it and are about to throw.

Extra credit: Can anyone guess what yoyo I am holding?

1 Like

I don’t know, but I love the contrast.

1 Like

Shutter?

2 Likes

@Oroboryo DING DING DING!!! Winner! It’s a Shutter!

1 Like

The string is on top of the yo-yo. I’m 100% sure. And yes I did watch @yoyodoc video.

1 Like

YES!!! I finally got it!!! My consistency increased by a lot!!!
8/10 times the yo-yo comes back!!! Thank you all for your comments and help!!! Your the best!!!

9 Likes

Man, hearing that is a huge relief! Are you binding like in yoyodoc’s video? That’s the best way to start out binding. That whole other beginner bind with all the lifting up and mounting the yoyo on the string is a pain and wonky. I’m truly happy for your progress!

3 Likes