I can’t bind

I have a YYT Velocity Yo-Yo and I’m trying to learn how to bind. When ever I lower the loop to pull up the yo-yo the yo-yo either turns side ways or it doesn’t reads my hand. Any ideas that might help me?

5 Likes

It doesn’t reach my hand.

Throw harder to get enough power to reach your hand.

3 Likes

depending on how you are binding, you could not be bringing your non-throw-hand (NTH) up high enough at the same time you are bringing your throw-hand down to catch the bind, then drawing your throw hand up…

or, at that time, you could be pulling your NTH loosely (essentially out from under your string, instead of into the string) and not catching, or not having and opportunity to catch, your bind at all…

this how i’m
visualizing what your doing… kinda like trying to explain binding to the kiddo :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Just keep practicing. You’ll get it.

Happy yoyo.

5 Likes

It just takes practice. Watch a lot of binding tutorials. Believe me, if I could learn to bind, you can too. You WILL get it. I PROMISE! And welcome to the forums!

5 Likes

I’ve never played with the Velocity but it looks like it has an adjustable gap. That might be contributing to your frustration.

1 Like

Any chance we can get a video of you trying your bind? It’d help to visualize.

1 Like

What do you mean by I’m not bringing my NTH high enough? And you also said that my throwing hand has to be low to catch the bind. Don’t we usually catch the bind when we let go of the loop and pull with the throwing hand?

1 Like

I’ll try.

2 Likes

when i was teaching my kiddo… and andre demonstrates the physical interaction in his tutorial… when you have the yoyo back on the string ready to bind, you can ‘rock’ it up and down by raising and lowering your hands… gathering more string in the gap… and you can feel the friction increasing to a ‘catch point’… getting familiar with that catch point ‘feel’, and when you’ll have enough string in the gap to catch the loop, as opposed to
out from under the string because there is not enough string in the gap…

just saying ‘hey practice’ to a little kid will make them lose interest quickly :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Here is my bind.

2 Likes
2 Likes

a’ight, when you’re pulling your throw hand up, stop. leave yoyo on the string and rock it back and forth to get that ‘feel’ of string gathering in the gap… practice that

your problem is there is not enough string in the gap to bind the loop
before you pull your NTH out. watch andre’s binding tutorial if you don’t understand that ‘feel’ of the string in the gap
part

also, you’ll want to work on less of a jerking motion with your throw
hand on the return… that just comes with… practice :wink:

2 Likes

It can be frustrating at first and then it just clicks. In the fall of 2018 I got to the point where I wanted to do longer tricks but was against unresponsive yoyos because I did not want to bother with binds. One day I got angry with myself and forced myself to start binding (with a few unresponsive yoyos I had) and it started clicking. Within 2 weeks I was doing longer tricks and was not even thinking about binding because binds just felt natural and not some evil thing I had to do.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

THIS!

2 Likes

Almost there! I would shorten the loop you have over your non throw hand.

2 Likes

Yup. A little bit easier on pulling up with your throw hand! Too… I would say you probably have too much string in the gap. smaller loop on your non throw hand. As they said, you will eventually get the feel for when the yoyo wants to “bite” on the string. That’s a bind.

Definitely want to see your video when you nail it!

What “setting” do you have the velocity at? “Pro” I am guessing?

2 Likes

Thanks everyone I’ll try!

3 Likes

And one more thing. When I throw a sleeper I only get 3-4 seconds to bind. Then the yo-yo starts to spins sideways. Any solutions?