How to remove knots

I got some insanely tight knots on my yo-yo string any help removing them? I don’t wanna by a new string cuz I live in Denmark and they only ship thick and overall bad strings and if I order from the us to Denmark it gets a 22+ usd because of shipping😒

1 Like

Step 1: take string off
Step 2: put new string on

Jokes aside those tight knots are damn near impossible to get out my man

1 Like

You can use a needle or pin to loosen up the knot. My fingers are quite large, so I sometimes use tweezers or needle nosed pliers once I loosen it up.

2 Likes

I have very sharp tweezers for knots like that. Rounded tops but sharp as needles. I’m pretty good at getting string knots out, but the tweezers come in handy when I have to undo the finger loop because it’s a little too long for my liking and I already tied it down.

2 Likes

There are many European places you can buy strings from if you need them.

5 Likes

Practice.

3 Likes

& Patience

2 Likes

Hat pin needles work well for me.

I have a lot of practice from years past. Fishing line, kite string, yoyo string, daughters, wife and students with very thin and intricate necklaces, and etc. :slight_smile:

Magnification, analysis and careful planning…

I agree with above, with yoyo strings if it isn’t pretty quick and easy: R & R.

1 Like
3 Likes

I would recommend buying some tapestry needles. You can buy metal or plastic ones. I would think you could get them locally at a sewing supply store, or order them inexpensively online. I ended up getting something like 20 for a few USD. Metal ones might be easier to get into the middle of a string knot, and they aren’t sharp so they probably won’t scratch a yoyo. But plastic ones are cheaper, and then it doesn’t seem like such a big deal if you misplace one, or if a mischievous younger person (like my 4 year old son) in your household decides to play with one and not return it to it’s place without telling you.

Also food skewers can be cheap and easily obtainable for a few dollars. They might not be sharp enough by themselves (I’ve had to shave the point down to get them to fit in my yo-yos with narrow gaps), and then the surface of the wood might be rough enough to damage the fibers of the string. I’ve been thinking about a way to polish or harden the surface of the carved tip of a wooden skewer, but I haven’t tried anything yet. I’m thinking of trying candle wax or lacquer. Something that will prevent the rough surface of the wood from snagging on the fibers of a yo-yo string. Tapestry needles would work straight out of the package.

Tapestry needles are the ones with a small bend in the tip. You can also use leather needles (those are steel, but not sharp) or kid-friendly plastic straight needles that would be used for cross-stitching.

2 Likes

Seems there are actually Stores in Denmark that sell yo-yos, so they must sell string too

One is actually called YoyoWorld, lol🙀

yoyo stores near denmark

1 Like

I live on Sjælland (danish pronounce). My place is Long away from the yoyoworld store and their website works bad it Won’t even load halfway but i could try driving to There if the website doesnt work

Have you tried soaking it? Sometimes, if you get a tight knot wet, it allows you to see the thread direction better and it also makes the fibers swell a bit and push apart.

Watch out through, because if it dries in a knot because you can’t get it out, then it could be the end depending on what material the string is; cotton in particular will tighten up more. :grimacing:

An alternative would be to buy some thread and try making your own strings if cost is too high to ship them to you?:man_shrugging:

1 Like