honest thoughts colored yetis vs rally

Can everybody just calm down? He asked what do you like better between the yoyos not the prices. The price doesn’t make a yoyo better or worse, but my God chill out and just write your opinion of the YOYO. Not the price. If you think its too expensive than don’t buy it and stop complaining. People have the right to put their own price on items.

But enough of that. I like the Rally and Yeti but have been using my Yeti more lately, probably since i just got it a week ago. But my style is slower and flowy so the Yeti matches my style pretty well. Its all preference and what matches you more.

1 Like

I love all of the debate going on. It creates interest in both products and now idiots like me want to buy both to see what the big deal is. :smiley:

I think comparing yoyos with vastly different specs is disingenuous and isn’t going to give the end user a fair idea of either.

If you want to compare a Rally to a Protostar, you’ve got a ball-game. There are enough similarities that both can start from the same point of reference and you can compare the finer points & drawbacks of each in a way that actually relates to the other. That, to me, is a fair and at least moderately useful comparison.

If you want to compare a Yeti to another full-size, molded plastic yoyo without any additional metal rim weights, again…you’ve got a ball-game. The huge different in material notwithstanding, then you’re talking about two designs on at least roughly level footing from an execution standpoint.

The only reason the Yeti and the Rally keep getting compared is that they came out around the same time. They are also both in the $40 - $60 “premium plastic” range, but price and release proximity have bugger all to do with any perceived similarities or differences between two utterly different designs.

My opinion is a lot of people spend entirely too much time asking the wrong questions. Most people only want to judge something against something else. It’s a fool’s errand, and rarely does either product end up benefitting from the process…nor does the consumer end up with a truly accurate picture of a thing when people keep using a different thing to quantify it.

If people spent as much time trying to speak intelligently about the thing they are talking about, instead of looking for other things to compare it to, we’d end up with a higher level of conversation, much more qualified opinions, and clearer and more detailed reviews of what is out there that could actually be of a huge benefit to all. That would be awesome!

Instead, we get “this vs that”, which always devolves into “I like this better” and “Well, I like that better and you are dumb” and we get a dozen threads like this which don’t help anyone and ultimately just cause bad mojo.

http://img.pandawhale.com/38994-Thats-just-your-opinion-man-Bi-Z1aR.jpeg

8 Likes

I own a Yeti and a Rally and I enjoy both of them. At this time I’m playing the Yeti more because its new to me. But in a couple of weeks, who knows?
As far as what a yo yo is made of and how it is made I could care less. Plastic, hybrid, metal, as long as it plays well and is fun I’m good.
Its also great that we have so many great yo yo companies to choose from. Without all the companies we have there would be no innovation and we would all still be playing fixed axle imperials.
I’m fine with having to do a little work on a Yeti if needed (mine didn’t) and having such an awesome throw. Its much better than having a cheap yo yo that no matter how much you do to it still plays bad.
I’d like to say thanks to Chris from CLYW and all the other great people in the yoyocommunity that do so much for it. It has to be hard putting all the work they do into something they love and then sometimes not feeling appreciated or like they are being judged. I’m sure not many are getting rich making yo yo’s its just something they have a passion for and hopefully can make a living doing it while giving back to us.
Thanks and keep up the great work!

Agree on pretty much all counts. Studio42 drives me insane with misanthropic family and audio references but his straight and to the point yoyo judging system of “I like it” or “it wasn’t the yoyo for me” is right on point.

I think a lot of the “this yoyo vs that yoyo” is a result of younger people who are only planning to get one yoyo, or even if they are able to get both, feel the need to point out what they like about one product in such a way that it denigrates a perceived similar product (or they intentionally denigrate one product in order to “prove” why their favored product is above the other product). It doesn’t help that people seem to have a need to find flaw with every single thing CLYW does (I find flaw with some of it, when it’s relevant I mention it if I feel compelled to reply in a thread) these days. I still don’t get what the deal is with the spacers. So they’re tight. They’re tight in YYF products too. What in the world do people need to keep taking the spacers out of it for? It’s a yoyo, play with it. The string breaking issue is a legitimate concern imo but the whole spacer thing is borderline mind boggling.

Since people seem so insistent on comparing the Rally and Yeti (agreed that aside from similar release time/price points they are each very unique products) I frankly find it odd that they don’t include the Protostar in the mix since it is the least expensive of the bunch, has a great deal of colorways available, has a big brother option available in the Shaqlerstar/Northstar and has been around for long enough to have a decent following and a lot of play time under its belt from a lot of players. But despite actually being more similar to the Rally than the Yeti I guess the fact that it’s not a flavor of the month yoyo means it’s irrelevant despite being a great yoyo both on its own merit and relative to its newer “competitor” plastics.

Ding Ding Ding!! We have a winner!! Great post. :smiley:

Hey I did that! ;D I actually do think it’s in the Protostar family.

Of course! Two huge companies in the yoyo world releasing their first plastic (or partial plastic) yoyos and around the same time? That’s a big deal! I think this debate occurred because most people don’t have the option to buy both yoyos. They want to know which one they should focus on first. Doesn’t that seem logical to everyone? People getting bent about comparing things, price ranges, and design specs are the ones ruining what should be a very light-hearted debate about two very new ventures for a couple of great companies. I agree with Benbod. Everyone just needs to chill.

For me, the big difference is that as with most CLYW’s throws the Yeti has a soul, it’s a piece of art.
I know this is very subjective and I can’t explain why is that but I’m emotionally attached only to a few throws in my case (all of them from CLYW) and that includes the Yeti.

Hmmm… This is not meant for oops specifically, but response to that concern. I’m going to inject some perspective here. It’s not what a lot of people want to hear, but you guys never get that from me anyway, so here goes. :smiley:

Once upon a time, there was a company that was making it’s first plastic. All the kids pressured the company with, “is it ready yet,” and “why is it taking so long,” type questions. Instead of holding onto the idea for a few years, and keeping people waiting, the plastic was released. After giving the kids what they wanted when they wanted it, a few complained that their string was eaten by the plastic. No one reports the brand of string eaten, so who knows what they are using, poly, nylon, blend, thick, thin, homemade…anyone’s guess. A few kids began to bash the company, who did nothing more than try it’s best, on it’s first time out with plastics, to give them what they wanted. 99% of the kids were happy and enjoyed the plastic, but 1% were like a sqeaky wheel about minor issues they had with the plastic. No good deed goes unpunished, and if I were that company, I might not be as receptive to giving people what they want when they want it in the future. Make them wait, quality control the heck out of the product, and tease them instead.

People who never made or sold a thing in their lives may never grasp this. But, multi million dollar corporations spend large budgets on testing, and inspecting products before they are released. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can be tested to ensure that it will perform as expected in every possible imaginable situation. So, when you see product recalls, updates, advisories issued by companies…that’s business. It does not necessarily have anything to do with the quality of the business, or the product, or the idea. There is an inability to test a product in every possible situation. In the process of thousands and millions of people buying and using the product, issues may arise that had not revealed themselves during testing. You heard about it with the Iphone, from Apple, and a lot of the top companies in the world.

Testers of Yetis are not throwing them with every possible string type imaginable, especially your homemade string. A great manufacturer will offer you a resolution, if a problem, even in a few instances, should arise. Try not to take a few problems, (problems you have no idea what contributed to them), and make a general presumption about the quality of the product. People with string issues usually never tell you the brand of string, what type, or how long it was played before it broke. Telling CLYW that would help pinpoint the issue. But, that might be too helpful, or determine a user error instead. Someone uses cheap string, doesn’t change their string and so on. You never know.

If it is a product that appeals to you, borrow one, try it, or buy it, and form your own opinion. There are a few squeaky wheels about every product, but remember that their experience may not be your own.

This man speaks with a wisdom beyond his years.

Nobody is arguing over the Speedaholic, Protostar, Delrin Severe or Shutter… yet the Rally .vs. Yeti debate seems to constantly be going on. It’s amazing publicity for both companies and also makes for thrilling reading, especially since these topics tend to arouse some of the more prominent figures from the community to join in with the mass debating.

Heck, this whole cuffuffle has just made me want to get a Yeti… obscene customs charge and all.

^ That Rally vs. Shutter was going on for awhile too. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy suggesting how other people should spend their $45. But, while they’re both fruit, comparing apples to oranges doesn’t make much sense…not sure why we do it. But, if you ever want to know how you should spend your money next…let me know. I like deciding how to spend my money and all of yours too. ;D

But, I forgot to comment that I own 3 Rallys. I threw a Yeti once…literally, so I can’t really say much credible, pretending to compare the two. The reason I don’t have a single Yeti yet has to do with a few factors, but mainly convenience of availability. There are Rallys all over the place. :smiley:

At the end of the day they are both yoyos and you can compare any yoyos no matter the price.

1 Like

Which ones did you end up going with? I know you have a thing for red and black so I would guess one is the Red with black hardware.

I have the OG green and the clear. My green is smoother but I play with the clear more just because I LOVE how it catches the light on a sunny day. :slight_smile:

I was sure to cop the red/black, red/silver, and had to have the clear Rally too. And counting…hoping for a black with gold or silver rings, or even white Rally would look nice. :slight_smile:

Good selection. I would love to see a special edition White with Black rings or a Black with Soda Blasted hardware for a tuxedo type look. Would be about the only time I would pick up a black yo-yo. The one I am truly holding out hope for is a glow in the dark Rally.

This. 100% this. Oh sweet merciful Zeus!!! THIIIISSSSS!!!

1 Like

It is perfectly sensible to compare the Yeti and the Rally.

It has nothing to do with whether the specs are “comparable” or not. The reason why they are compared and evaluated vs. each other is that both were released at the same time; by relatively comparable companies in the hype-world. This means both yo-yo’s are competing for the same potential consumer demand.

At any given time, there is only so much money available from consumers to be spent on yo-yo’s. Just because CLYW and OneDrop released two yo-yo’s at the same time; does not mean that magically the demand for a name-brand plastic throws somehow doubled to accommodate the increased production.

Therefore, I think it is perfectly sensible for consumers who have limited funds; to compare these two potential purchases in any way they choose. Telling them they are wrong for doing it just does not make sense to me.

The problem with all of this is that there’s a lot of inference and interpretation.

I can say I agree with Chris and da5id that it’s silly to compare them because what they (and many of us) really mean is: “They’re not the same kind of yoyo, so it’s not a very valuable comparison” and reacting to the “which is better” question that people bat around and the accompanying underwear twists that seem to also come along with those comparisons.

But on the other hand, other people are simply hearing the word “comparison” and concluding correctly that “Well, sure you can compare them.” But these people are imagining a comparison like, “The Yeti is beefier and encourages chilled out play” vs. “The Rally is sleeker and makes you want to go for a faster style of play” (or similar comparisons). I obviously don’t speak for them and haven’t even had direct conversations with either of them on any subject at all, but I don’t think either Chris or da5id would have a problem with comparisons like that… and I highly doubt that’s what they’re responding to when they say the seemingly endless comparison threads are “silly”.

#TeamYeti :smiley:

The most trouble I have with the comparisons, are that they are not really comparisons. Not many people own both yo-yos, and have played them extensively to be able to even give a fair assessment one way or the other. People commenting on these so-called comparisons, usually don’t even have both yo-yos to compare them in the first place. They are usually in one of these categories:

1. Has a Yeti, borrowed a Rally for a minute at a meet.
  2. Has a Rally, borrowed a Yeti for a minute at a meet.
  3. Only owns a Yeti, never played a Rally…loves the Yeti so votes Yeti.
  4. Only owns a Rally, never played a Yeti… loves the Rally so votes Rally.
  5. Owns neither a Rally nor a Yeti, but says “Yeti is better,” because they are a Caribou Lodge fan.
  6. Owns neither a Rally nor a Yeti, but says “Rally is better,” because they are a One Drop fan.
  7. Says “Rally,” because they own neither, but saw some photos and heard about it from a friend. Believes everything they see and hear.
  8. Says “Yeti,” because they own neither, but saw some photos and heard about it from a friend. Believes everything they see and hear.

And, the list goes on. So, at the end of the day, unless I know the forum person recommending one versus the other, and I can confirm they own both, played them enough, and have no bias…I take it all with a grain of salt. :-\

By the way…I’m #2. ;D

1 Like

They are both awesome yoyo’s and both have a place in any collection… Simple as that.

And don’t they just look sooooooo good together… I mean come on!!!