honest thoughts colored yetis vs rally

It strikes me as a misconception that sanding is needed. That video seems to be made for the one or two unfortunates who may have run into an issue.

The same one or two unfortunates have the option of sending it back to get fixed as well. I suspect most people are like me and although we’d prefer perfection out of the box don’t really have a huge problem with 2 minutes and some sandpaper.

But again: nothing in that video seemed to me like a “you WILL need to do this” instructional.

…I have 5 Yeti’s - 1 black from the first release and 1 of each of the colours. The coloured Yeti’s play better than the black (which is amazing in it’s own right) - smoother with more of a solid feel on the string. I also have 3 Rally’s which are brilliant but for me the Yeti is just more fun - theres nothing else like it on the market to compare it too - The Yeti is in it’s own league.

I’ve not had any string breaking issues with any of my Yeti’s - a little responsive out of the box due to the lubed CTX but once broken in -soooo good.

I’m guessing for the vast majority of folk no sand paper will be required either.

Ok, I don’t have a Rally or Yeti (or any Onedrop or CLYW) so I may be completely wrong.

However, I still watched the video and didn’t it say that you could send it to them to sand. Personally I find having to send a yoyo to the manufacturer for something that I could do easily myself is a waste of time and money.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t every yoyo play better with a bit of tuning. I heard that tuning your speedaholics in the same way helps how they play.

They made a video to explain how to get the best performance out of there yoyo. You can always contact them if you have a problem as well.

Now, here’s my question. How could any of this maintenance “issues” be avoided?
If they are cutting corners it’s one thing, but if they are dealing with problems in the best way possible is another.

If i’m going to drop $60 on a plastic I don’t want it to need touch ups. Paying that much I would expect quality. In my mind if you pay top dollar you should receive a top dollar yoyo. $10 yo-yos need less modification out of the box.

That being said, if I can find a Yeti for a decent price off of the BST I would get one. I would never pay full price though.

I have opinions! Let me tell them to you!

I’m here to help, if anyone has issues please feel free to email me at info@clyw.ca

If you don’t like your Yeti, I’ll gladly give you a refund if you just kindly send it back to us within 3 weeks from the day that you have received it.

If you want us to fix any issues with it, I can do this for you no problem, just kindly send it back to us and I can sand the gap for you.

Otherwise, with the Rally vs Yeti thing … they aren’t even on the same wavelength to be considered similar at all.

Thanks!

Chris

3 Likes

I respect Chris for most of the things just said however this (above) is wrong.
They are both yoyos from respected companies around the same price point, sure they may be different and one may be plastic whilst the other is a hybrid but they are still a toy that you throw up and down. They can be compared.

Now this doesn’t mean I’m not sick of the argument, I just don’t feel its fair for Chris to say they can’t be compared as this is wrong.

Yes, they can be compared. But let’s understand the spirit of what Chris is saying, not get hung up on interpretations… the spirit is that the two yoyos are unalike as far as yoyos go and are designed with different goals in mind. I mean, you can compare them and identify what makes them different. But to compare them in order to describe which is “better” is kinda futile.

Then pretty much no yoyo can be compared to another because isn’t every yoyo designed with different goals in mind?

Or are all yoyos designed to be played?

Ok, go for it.

Exactly! This is what everyone has been having trouble understanding. I like both of the yo-yos, having owned 1 rally and 3 yetis, I think you can understand which is my preferential choice ;D

I didn’t say they can’t be compared. I said they CAN be compared. Just asking for people to stop being nitpicky and literal and understand the spirit of what was being said. I mean, you can compare a monster truck and a sports car, too, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to yield particularly useful results.

But directly to your point: no, most yoyos cannot be compared very well, since you ask. :wink: I mean, if you take two yoyos with the same design goals, that’s your best bet. But no, I probably wouldn’t find a comparison of a Spyder II to a format:C to be very useful.

A format:C to OD’s own Benchmark V would be interesting, though… “The profile is almost the same, but the 7075 of the format:C allows the walls to be thinner… etc…”

Any two things, no matter how un-related, can be compared.

Rally vs yeti? I’m enjoying both too much to really care as far as comparisons are concerned. I like the Rally better, but I’m still liking the Yeti too.

I don’t feel I need to get deeper into the comparison than that. For me, it’s about enjoyment. If I like the yoyo, the rest is irrelevant.

Okay fine compare them … haha

I thought the similar design goal was something like “release a affordable plastic that compares to our more expensive metals” of each respective company?

In the end the Yeti is not bad, but I don’t own any other CLYW at the moment, and it was underwhelming to me, but I will admit I bought this purely based on hype.

The rally isn’t bad either and feels like some of my other one drops, but I didn’t expect much from it to be honest. It’s not going to feel or play at the level of the Format:C DSL. But I feel the benchmark series is really undermine the Rally… unless you wanna save 10 15 bucks.

In the end it really comes down to the player. I’m sure any pro can do more tricks with a Tornado than I can with (insert any yoyo) here.

Yep, compare them all you like. :slight_smile: I own and love them both.

I’m tired of hearing all the bickering about the yeti. Sure, it’s more expensive than your average plastic, and it may need a little tweaking to play right. Chris puts a lot of pride in his products, and he has already offered a full refund if you’re not happy with the product. I have a first run black yeti, and I love it. I’m thinking about picking up a colored when more release. Some are complaining about the price. Well I haven’t ever heard anyone complain about the $100+ TP albino series. Some are complaining about having to sand it. Chris already sanded the yetis, but the it may or may not snap strings. Maybe Chris should include a small piece of sandpaper with each yeti, so people won’t complain about it anymore.

Now for the yeti vs. rally discussion. Both are top notch plastic yoyos, made by high end manufacturers. Sure, the rally may play a little smoother, and may play more like a metal. But, that’s given, half the parts are metal. The yeti is almost 100% plastic, so it will play like a plastic. If you want a plastic playing like a high end metal, go for the rally. If you want a unique playing plastic, go for the yeti.

They’re yoyos, toys. If you have the money and think you’ll like it, go for it. But if you don’t have the money or don’t think you’ll like it, don’t get it, who cares. David or Chris aren’t having any problems selling these amazing yoyos.

No need to. The Yeti passes all my requirements:

I like it.

The rest don’t matter!

But, if I had to:

I just prefer exactly where and how the weight is on the Rally and how it has a touch more presence on the string. The metal weight rings add a certain solid feel/heft that simply can’t be done on a plastic, to the best of my knowledge, since I think plastic can’t be that dense/heavy. Therefore, the Rally really focuses the weight where I like it.

The Yeti also seems very rim-heavy, which I like. The texture is unlike any other yoyo I’ve played before and reminds me of the handle on my Telefunken ELA-M80 microphone. That’s a good thing. It’s everything I’ve come to expect from CLYW, just in a plastic offering.

For any kind of play, be it casual, competition, exhibition or whatever, both the Rally and Yeti fit the bill nicely.