honest thoughts colored yetis vs rally

or just get both>. YOUR MIND IS BLOWN

Youā€™re not helping with this thread either maddog by compaining about how this thread comes up to often

This may be a commonly brought up topic but people can discuss whatever they want.

Glad I could help!

Its true tho, FACTS>.

try sanding it like the maintenance video said. My string snapped in like an hour of play, so I sand it it and it is good now. Just make sure to sand it good haha.

By your mindset, hereā€™s what I proposeā€¦

Let them talk about what they want to talk about. Let them discuss what they want to discuss. You donā€™t have to get involved. Just look the other way and carry on with your life. Just because youā€™re tired of it doesnā€™t mean that everyone is. Just relax, this thread will eventually go cold, just like the rest.

Exactly! You can chose to get involved or just ignore it.

Very good post. And letā€™s skip over the whole ā€œitā€™s not worth the priceā€ thing too. Buy it or donā€™t buy it. What I want to hear is how they play.
For me personally, I almost never get plastics. But I scooped up a Rally on black Friday to see what it was all about. And in my opinionā€¦ meh. Itā€™s fine. Nothing crazy. Itā€™s a good yoyo, has a bit of vibe which almost all my plastics do, but it doesnā€™t out-play my Protostar which I have always loved. I hope to come across a Yeti to see how that one plays.

Iā€™m really glad I tried a Yeti after being disappointed with the Rally. I honestly wish I had preferred the Rally to the Yeti because I absolutely loved the look of the clear one but it wasnā€™t meant to be I guess. Plastic or otherwise, the Yeti is by far my favorite/ā€œbestā€ yoyo in its retail price range (weā€™ll say $65 or less), overthrowing the Yuuksta and Boss that held the throne for the past 2-3 years.

I bought two. A blue and a purple.

The quoted video makes me want to sell them. I didnā€™t pay $55.00 x2 for yo-yos that I needed to worry about doing maintenance to. Thatā€™s the first time Iā€™ve watched that video.

I know Iā€™ll be vilified for this but Iā€™m out.

@CLYW - Donā€™t sell products that need end user modifications for use. I was thinking about typing that in all caps.

I donā€™t want to rub my blue jeans or leather belt against Hulk Smash Peaks or sandpaper my plastic Yetis.

Itā€™s not good business. Iā€™m out.

FWIW, I have 2 coloured Yetis (natural grey LE from August and purple from production run) that Iā€™ve done nothing to that play great.

Though if you really donā€™t want yours Iā€™ll take the blue.

I appreciate that Nathan. Iā€™ve played the blue for a bit but am angry that I have to watch out for manufacturing errors.

Doesnā€™t seem proper. Iā€™ll give it thought.

I have to say this is true. I was disappointed at the need to buy extra things to fix something I just bought. Donā€™t get me wrong I love my yeti it is one of my favorite throws. But it just does not seem right.

Really Vegabomb? You donā€™t want to drop $55 on yoyos you might need to perform maintenance on?

Chris has put his company on the line to produce a throw from a unique material. From MANY reports, it plays brilliantly. From VERY FEW reports, it is not a perfect material. Chris and Chuck addressed a potential issue with a slightly abrasive gap by SANDING EACH AND EVERY HALF. The spacers are tight. This is not ideal. Perfect spacers would have been better. CLYW includes an extra set for the POTENTIAL hassle. Then, they put out a video highlighting steps you can take should you potentially run into a few maintenance issues during the course of ownership.

Oh yes, and the spacer thing? The tightness thing? That is directly related to a certain company who provided both the spacers, AND a certain 888 you list as your favorite throw. A company, to my recollection, that has a bit of history with a matter that strikes me as oddly familiar.

Soā€¦I wish you luck in finding that yoyo you dream of that WILL NOT require maintenance. In the mean time, please pass along your Yetis if they donā€™t meet your expectations. Someone else will be sure to enjoy them.

Take care,

-bpg

My blue one plays like it was made of ground up unicorn hooves with fairy wings (played the stock string until it was gross, now 2-3 hours in on a YYSL Venom and going strong) and so far Iā€™ve only read about 1 case of there being a string cutting issue since the colored Yetis were released. That said, if I had a string cutting issue with mine I strongly suspect that after the first string I would be extremely annoyed and try to fix the issue. After the 2nd string my Yeti would be on the BST with a string eating disclaimer. Thankfully I do not have any issues and I am a very happy Yeti owner, but I can definitely understand the concern.

I totally understand that some people are okay with unscrewing their Yeti or YWET or whatever and rubbing it with a pair of jeans or sandpaper or something and thatā€™s great for them. Iā€™m not one of those people. When I buy a new yoyo I expect it to be in proper working condition when I purchase it. In fact, I expect every single item I purchase retail to work properly. Having to perform additional modifications to the Yeti just to make it work as intended is not maintanence, it is a repair of a factory flaw.

Guysā€¦ the spacers are not hard to remove at all. I used a small flat head screw driver get them both off in less than 2 minutes time. I can see that Iā€™m not like most of you, because I love to tinker and do maintenance on my yoyos.

As far as the string eating thing goes, since the time the black yetis came out. The only person I know of that has had their yeti eat string was Nehemiah. He talked with Chris and Chris helped him out. Let Chris know whatā€™s up.

If anyone of the upset customers wants to get rid of their yeti shoot me a pm and Iā€™ll take it off your hands.

Selling a yoyo and then sending out information on how to not make it potentially break the string itā€™s being played from is one thing.

Doing it twice isnā€™t cool IMO.

@bpq - Iā€™ve a big 888 collection. I collect yoyos. That has nothing to do with my post in this thread.

Yeah, it was said right in the video, 2:00, that the tightness of those spacers was ā€œimportantā€ to get the yo-yo to spin nicely. So, the Yeti plays brilliantly, and spins nicely partly because of those spacers. Suffice it to say, that those spacers were chosen by CLYW for use in the Yeti, and the tightness of them, was one of the features they liked about those spacers. That was a CLYW decisionā€¦fact.

I have to admit, I had the same feeling as Vegabomb when I heard that some sanding needed to be done to ensure no string damage. Itā€™s the reason Iā€™ve avoided Anti-Yo too. I appreciate the work Chris has put into these and the extra time to do some sanding, by hand no less. But in the end, I donā€™t want to have to tinker with the finished product. There are tons of modders out there who love that stuff, but the extent of my modding experience is taking a Lyn Fury, switching out the bearing and replacing the O-rings with silicone. So really, I just want to pull the thing out of the box, throw a string on there and get going. Granted, itā€™s not a lot of work to do some sanding, but thatā€™s not really the point.

My thoughts:

I like the Rally better but I knew this before I got the Yeti. Thatā€™s not saying I donā€™t enjoy the Yeti, but just enjoy the Rally more.

Thoughts about ā€œDIY Modsā€:
Well, it depends on the mods. My mods are not real mods. If I choose to silicone over a pre-made pad, I hardly consider that a true mod. Trying out different bearings also doesnā€™t count as a mod.

Someone brought up the Lyn Fury. Pop the rings and silicone in, shim it and clean the bearing: Beast mode. Hardly real mods.

Now, having to sand down a bearing seat or part of the bearing recess? Sorry, not acceptable. String eating yoyos should be serviced by the company, not the end user. I want my stuff in operating condition from the get-go. I had a Duncan Metropolis that was eating strings, so I sent it to Duncan and they replaced it. Problem completely resolved. I got 3 Agape yoyos(get one, they are fantastic), and 2 of them had been blasted, and I needed to rub down that bearing recess. That was my only choice. I did it, no more problems.

My thoughts are more ā€œbusinessā€ oriented. I may get gear the day of or the day before a gig. I donā€™t have time for in-box failures or crap that doesnā€™t work immediately. Crap that doesnā€™t work has a good chance of being destroyed. This is different than my amplifiers, which due to age, need capacitors replaced, which is annoying but something I am prepared for and have spare parts in inventory for on-site repairs, PLUS a standby board ready for immediate swap-out(best as I can, it still takes about an hour from the time the first screw comes out until the last screw goes back in.)

With yoyo, I expect the following:
It doesnā€™t eat strings and I shouldnā€™t have to fix it.

So far, my Yeti is doing fine, so I donā€™t think I will have this issue.

1 Like

What the Rally represents to me is perfected Protostar. Itā€™s a yoyo with equal (or better imo) play than the Protostar, but with better build quality, no annoying spacers and less unscrewing issues.

The Protostar is a great throw, but the fact is that when you buy a Rally you get a better quality product for the price.

1 Like