Heavy feeling throws?

Hey all!

I’m a big fan of heavier throws. I have a few in the collection that don’t get played due to feeling too light, and I’m looking to expand into more yoyo’s with the heavy feeling I’m looking for.

Any recommendations? Or mods I can do to my current throws (which I love but are just too light) to make them a bit more dense?

5 Likes

Sounds like you need some Turning Point in your life king

8 Likes

A few questions:

What do you have that you’d prefer a heavy version of?

Do you currently have any that have a sufficiently heavy feel?

Price range?

4 Likes

Hades is 80g but it plays lighter than that( or not? It just plays amazing idk). So so so good. Great for control and can be quick w intention but when you forget what you’re doing or where you wanna go, it does slow and you start to feel the weight. It’s my most played Yoyo and I don’t notice the heavy feeling I noticed so strongly when I first got it at all. It takes a min to get used to but so so good. Heavy yo-yos are in short supply like if you want to buy a yoyo 70g and up, not made for 4a, is available in stores, like not have to scour bst, there is like 4 yo-yos you can get. If you want to spend less than 100$ idk if those yo-yos exist rn. It’s a true shame. Tsk tsk sick sad world…Imma keep saying this about heavy yo-yos too until there are more options.

2 Likes

Great questions. I have. Catalyst by Augie Fash that I like the weight of. The one that feels quite light to me is the G2 Valhalla, although because it’s insanely high quality I still enjoy playing it. It seems that around 66-70g is the sweet spot for me.

I just picked up a Snack by Recess on the ■■■■■■■■■■ b grade sale and it’s weight at 65.5g is quite comfy, although it’s an undersized yoyo.

Turning Point’s 70g+ offerings are really solid. I’d also consider picking up some brass side effects and maybe a One Drop OG Downbeat as cheaper/more flexible options. I love brass side effects for tacking a few extra grams onto yoyos that are just a tad too light for me.

The RSO Gravity is another expensive option that is probably the most flexible yoyo out there as far as weight adjustment is concerned - it takes caps, o rings, and side effects, but it’ll probably run you $250-300.

3 Likes

Horizon.

2 Likes

The spinworthy steadfast sounds like a neat heavy yoyo that doesn’t play heavy. Looking forward to when that comes about.

1 Like

Grasshopper GTX

1 Like

Off the top of my head the Magicyoyo node is 68 grams. Not sure how heavy you’re thinking though.

I have a Valhalla (SS) and I agree that it plays quite light (even though I think the actual weight is not that far below average for a bimetal).

I have several monometals that are either in your range or just below but (IMO) play with substance and momentum vs. floaty. All of these play with significantly more weight that the Valhalla for sure.

I’ve enjoyed all of these, they are relatively low priced and most are easy to find.

(Emotion, Steadfast, BettyNova, Recognition, Valhalla SS (for comparison), Pheasant Mono, MN Autoscopy, Monotone)

Random thoughts:

• The Spinworthy Steadfast fits the bill, but isn’t widely available yet.
  • The OG BettyNova deserves more mentions in heavy/powerful throw discussions.
  • Among the YYR monos, I’d say that the Monotone is actually a full cut above the MN Autoscopy.
  • I have some recent CLYWs that technically qualify (Boy, Otter), but IMO don’t really hang in this crowd (though they are fine on their own merits).

In no particular order:

5 Likes

It’s a ways out but the Hubris Rukh is planned to be around 85 grams. Truly the biggest yo one will be able to reasonable muster.

Yoyorecreation SYFO is like 68.5g and its 53mm diameter so it feels pretty hefty on the string. Super solid throw. Machined by onedrop as well :smirk:

2 Likes

ASTer is excellent.

1 Like

If you feel like going back a little bit, the CLYW Bear vs Man (the original, not the round 2) aka BvM is wonderful. It’s organic and dated… an acquired taste, but charming.

1 Like

I had the luck of experiencing Turning Point yoyos fairly early in my adventures into unresponsive throws. The quality really does blow you away. I have tried out some of their heavier stuff, a Hades and an ASTer, and I can say that they were extremely fun to play with. If you like weight without sacrificing controllability, then i suggest giving them a try. Pricey, but worth it if you ask me.

2 Likes

Thanks for shouting out the emotion!! I’d agree it’s heavier but moves well for it’s weight!

2 Likes

Puckett and DD Fusion plays really heavy on string

1 Like

I‘d recommend the C3 Berserker Decade. They even advertise it as a throw ‚with a focus on the “heavy feel” that is typical of the Berserker‘. Quite affordable with awesome colorways available.

1 Like

Just wanted to let you know that Spingear and Rewind just dropped new Hades colorways about 5 mins ago.
In case you wanted to give a solid TP heavy throw a shot.

3 Likes