General Yoyo Thoughts

When ever I feel like I don’t want to yoyo on certain days, I try to think about different things I could do with yoyoing. If I perform the same tricks every time I practice it could get boring, but if I try to mix up what I do each practice then it gets more fun and you won’t get a burn out. Maybe try making a freestyle to a new song, or try 5a instead of 1a, or throw with your non dominant hand. Mixing it up avoids sameness, and it pushes you to keep going with it.

2 Likes

Variety is the spice of life they say

Whenever I get bored of 1a, I practice 2a

Whenever I get bored of 2a, I practice 1a

Mix it up y’all!!!

8 Likes

Yeah sometimes Im like, I’ll learn from tutorials today, and the next day I’ll practice a freestyle, and the next day I’ll only listen to music while yoyoing and do whatever comes to mind.

6 Likes

Strictly 1A here with little interesting in diversifying right now, so not much to shake up other than amount of play time and responsive/unresponsive. Some days I play a lot, others very little. Like the tides, my interest ebbs and flows.

7 Likes

Get a fixie. It’ll shift your perspective on responsive and 1a.

10 Likes

I used to overthink it when I’d start feeling this way about one of my interest but just through the experience of being alive long enough I’ve found I always find my way back to those interest eventually. This has tought me that it’s more like seasons, and when seasons change most people tend not to dwell on it bcause it’s just something that happens that we don’t have much of say in. If you’re just not feeling it there’s no reason to resist, you could just think of it as the seasons changing and go with it, because it’ll come back around eventually. :grinning:

Except motorcycling, that’s an obsession I don’t think is ever letting me go lol. :heart::motorcycle:

4 Likes

Consider playability and price range

• Marco
  • 2sick promotion
  • 2sick grandmaster
  • 2sick crusade
  • 2sick blockade

0 voters

1 Like

My general thought for today is that I own too many yoyos.

I fully acknowledge this. Having spent the last two years feverishly acquiring yoyos, I feel I have reached a point where I don’t really want to increase my collection any further. There are, however, a select few I would like to trade for. Unfortunately they rarely, if ever, come up on a BST, and since I have plenty of throws ready to sell, I guess I’m in herd-thinning mode now.

10 Likes

I really feel this sentiment. I’ve had to set personal guidelines and limits to stop me from feeling like I need every cool yo-yo I see. So apart from rare exceptions, I only buy yo-yos that fit my preferred very narrow range of specs unless it’s from Jordan of OP/Smashing, Mk1, or Jaime of Throw Spiral. And even then it’s gotta be pretty special for me to buy if it’s not designed by one of those guys. Like every now and then YYF makes something too sick to pass up.

And then I have companies that I just avoid for various reasons. I may have tried a few by them and been unimpressed, or i might not like the behavior and attitudes of certain people they sponsor, and by extension other brands that associate with them.

11 Likes

I feel this. Still buying a lot of throws (and spending money to have my own made :rofl:) but I’m trying to slow down too this year, altho Corona hasn’t helped too much.

7 Likes

Just had a yo-yo axle stripped despite not taking it apart for quite some time with no issues until today.

Welp :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

My “like” was in the form of a sympathy heart. That totally sucks. Ouch.

2 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again

Bind-winder is important and you should learn how to do it if you don’t already know how

I don’t spend ANY time adjusting string tension anymore!

Snap start - regen - bind-winder - ready to jam

8 Likes

Excluding the last couple days, I’ve yoyoed more today than the last few weeks combined.

A combination of taking a needed break from the online yo-yo BS from supposed community leaders and their child (and adult child) followers, reflecting on what yo-yo means to me, the support of some yo-yo buddies and the arrival of the Flames I ordered.

I’ve also had time to contemplate just what my goals should be as far as accumulating yo-yos.

I think the people who have pointed out just how unhealthy the online yo-yo discussion hubs are when it comes to the absurd juxtaposition of how much yoyos are talked about as opposed to yoyoing are right. I think most of us are guilty of and/or affected by this to some extent.

Having the new hotness constantly in front of you, new pickups being a constant focal point of discussion with mail day and what are you throwing threads as some of the most popular threads, special edition releases and new brands with new products every week, all this adds up and can be kind of overwhelming. You might feel like you’re missing out, or you get hyped when you show off that new grail you just got, while talking about trimming your collection or how few releases you picked up recently or how oversaturated and diluted the yo-yo market is isn’t exactly as fun for most people to talk about generally.

So I think it’s important for everyone to take a step back and think about their purchase habits every now and then, especially if you lean towards the obsessive compulsive end and enjoy collecting. And to set up constraints that limit what you buy to stuff you’re 100% sure about. Even if it’s completely disposable income, you might be missing out on other things that would bring you more satisfaction than yet another yo-yo. You could be investing in a new hobby or interest or one you dropped and would love to start up again.

I tried doing this by limiting the brands I focused on and that was okay for a while but I realized I was still kind of in a yo-yo anxiety trap, where I felt compelled to buy releases designed by particular people or brands simply because of the association, knowing I will like everything these people make. Or i was trapped in the sunk cost fallacy to justify more yo-yos in given collection because hey I already bought this many it’d be a waste to stop now.

But at the end of the day you can only physically use one or two yo-yos at a time and some will almost always see more play than others. Some people can look at hundreds or even thousands of dollars in yoyos that they don’t use a lot and are okay with that. I’m not.

So I’m going to try and restrict myself even further. I have one collection goal now where I already own 2 of 3 in the set. And I’m probably going to do a collection purge of stuff that I really really like but struggle to justify keeping. I 100% believe cutting down and not really keeping track of new stuff or community hype or what tricks are hype or meta is going to keep more interested in yoyoing for longer and will alleviate any stress/anxiety associated with the hobby for me.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

22 Likes

I gave away 5 yoyos lately and about 15 total since January. Not bragging. I use about 6 regularly and want to get my collection down to what will fit in one case that holds 36. Giving a yoyo or 2 or 3 to someone seriously interested made me happier than recieving a new yoyo in the mail.

11 Likes

I can’t agree more with what Durfee said as it’s happened to me with a few hobbies.

I used to frequent a large guitar forum. I felt I had to dive into learning about every new guitar, effects pedal, and amp being released. The amount of effects pedals I got when I didn’t need them piled up. Big debates about which pickups, guitar strings, and picks are best blah blah blah. But yet, very few talked about practicing and getting better at playing. I don’t go there much anymore and I enjoy guitar playing much more now.

After many years I got back into golfing last summer. Of course I went to some forums and got sucked in on the debates of the best golf balls and knowing all the specs of all the new drivers and irons that came out. But yet, very few talked about how to improve their swing for accuracy or distance. I don’t go on golf forums often anymore and I’m quite happy with my clubs/equipment and actually getting out and playing.

Then there was darts forum. That was slightly different because while people debated best dart grips and new release darts specs there were others sharing videos to ask “how does my throw look?” and get tips on improving. I still go to the forum once in a while to check on new releases, but not as often.

Then there’s this forum. It’s easy to get sucked in drooling over every new yoyo that comes out or debate strings and bearings. But this site is also different from other forums I’ve been on. There’s a fairly big learning section on the YYE site that I use quite a bit. Plus, watching videos that people post on the forum also inspires me to learn new tricks and improve. It has a decent balance of new products and learning base, if you allow yourself to absorb it all.

TL;DR version:
I agree with Durfee. Try to allow this forum, and the YYE site in general, to be more than just a place to drool over new releases and add to your “must have” list. Easy to say, hard to do though.

10 Likes

set goals as @durfee said, and boundaries. our goals are not all the same, but there are many common facets between them. to discredit those facets limits our ability work to those strengths between us, and overcome the ‘meta’, and actually be better than the redundant ‘meta’ material that’s out there… like meta meta meta t-shirts, for example

5 Likes

I haven’t seen someone miss a trick for 5 months

3 Likes

How bonded with your tools of expression are you? Do you feel connected?

To me there’s a period of time when I pick up a new( to me) toy and “awaken the soul of the blade”.

Anybody else share these feelings?

4 Likes

I agree with this.

I definitely have too many yoyos, but I also don’t sell any lol. I enjoy collecting, mainly yoyos that were the hotness when I first started, sometimes I’ll get newer yoyos too that appeal to me. I also hang onto all of them for sentimental reasons, and because one day I want to pass them down to my children and grand children.

6 Likes