General Yoyo Thoughts

Well I don’t even have to worry about buying to many yo-yos cuz I’m broke… you guys should become broke. It solves all yo problem

7 Likes

@Doohan and i have spoken at length regarding setting goals regarding collecting, and how to avoid and get out of pitfalls once you’ve started. collecting is not a sin, per se (if you want to get into envy, gluttony, lol…), so you shouldn’t feel vilified or ashamed about what you are doing. i like to say… get control of your collection, don’t let it control you… it’s actually pretty easy.

yoyoing means many things to many people, but probably started as a simple ‘throwing up and down’ hobby to the majority of us. how our hobbies/careers/interests deviated from there within it is no matter. there are commonalities that we SHOULD be developing, and growing on… what @Durfee takes issue with doesn’t just impact him, it impacts many others… and in different ways. the more folks working towards a positive shift, and the solid relationships influencing that change, the sooner and better the out come. we don’t have to have the toy for the same reason, just the same goals

11 Likes

no money, no problems… tried it, no luck :man_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

Gear Acquisition Syndrome is terrible; I feel ya there. I went through much the same thing many years ago. But then I got my Axe FX II and I found that GAS completely stopped for me, at least when it came to amps and effects. All I’ll ever want or need is in that one box. That has remained true for nearly a decade now.

2 Likes

I’ve been so tempted by Axe FX II (or Line 6 Helix) over the past few years. But I always end up telling myself I work with computers all day long…do I really want to tinker with programming and menus during my time not working? And, with endless options will I just end up tweaking settings instead of playing? Axe FX is amazing though and I’m sure at some point I’ll take the plunge.

2 Likes

I never really understood the “problem” with tweaking settings. The ability to customize a digital modeler is incredibly powerful. The real reason people spend all their time tweaking is because they don’t have any actual work to do, i.e., songs to write/record. If they did, they’d get on with the writing and recording, and only tweak when there was a need to do so (based on the song being developed). It’s no different than being in a recording studio and spending time dialing in the right sound for the song. The only difference is that you are doing it yourself rather than paying an expensive engineer to do it for you.

2 Likes

No “problem” with tweaking settings…it’s me that has the problem haha. Tweaking knobs on a regular overdrive pedal is fine for me. 3 or 4 knobs can only go so far left and so far right and I almost always find a setting I like and leave it there. But digital modelers are so powerful and can do so much I could easily find myself going down the rabbit hole and losing playing/recording time by trying out new settings. I’m sure after I used one for a bit I’d click to the settings I like and carry on.

I have sort of the same issue as seen in the “dumb phone” thread on this forum…Sure, I can just dial in some settings and go, but if I know the possibility to dive into menus and tweak is there then I just can’t resist.

2 Likes

I’m still not convinced you have a problem. Experimenting and playing around with settings is a valuable and legitimate use of time in my view (just like time spent modding and customizing yoyos). It is only a problem if it gets in the way of something else you want (or need) to be doing. If you are “on the clock”, so to speak, and being paid to produce music then I imagine impending deadlines would keep you from diving down that rabbit hole. However, if you have no professional obligations, then I say dive down that hole with gusto! You’ll come up for air when you need to.

2 Likes

Similar analogy:
You can have all the records and DJ gear in the world, but if you don’t understand song structure and know how to beatmatch you’re not gonna get to far.
Better to have the simplest set up and know how to mix your 10 track library like nobody’s business.
You’ll turn heads for sure.

6 Likes

I also subscribe to the “start simple” ethos, but only as a means of helping one decide if one is going to get serious with it. Once that decision is made, however, I prefer to get the best, most functionally comprehensive gear I can afford so that I don’t have to replace it any time soon. I want to grow into my gear without concern that I’ll reach its limits and have to invest in something else down the road.

3 Likes

beh… just throw your sneakers in the dryer and hope for the best :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Absolutely! Anytime I start something new, I get a beater to begin with. After I’ve got a grip on do’s and don’ts, I get big boy toys after that. I try to do it once do it right, but I know that at my house, I’m the reason we can’t have nice things😉

The beater is so I can find and learn from my mistakes

2 Likes

Very refreshing to read and especially from someone ‘that side of the pond’ so to speak.

The community seems to like accumulation of objects which is fine to an extent but when that is all you read about on places like this it can have an effect on people, especially on those who are less well off. I’ve had times where I have felt like I am missing out by not being able to buy new releases and have previously been almost poverty shamed when I have expressed my displeasure at being hit with import taxes when making a purchase overseas (for string of all things!) and this can leave a very sour taste in the mouth especially when you are constantly being told how ‘great and kind’ the community is. It lead to me taking step back.

I have been playing yoyo again a bit more over the past week after a few months of very casual throwing, I too have found taking a break from the online yoyo BS has helped.

My collection has shrunk. A few months back I had around 40 or so yoyos, a very modest collection in comparison to many here but it started to make me feel uneasy owning WAY more than I actually needed. I now own 18 and soon will bring that number down to 16. I still feel this is more than I actually need but it is certainly more reasonable.

6 Likes

You people got too much free freaking time on your hands.

8 Likes

Should we have a “tricks improvement advices” thread / section ?
Where I would post a video of me failing at properly throwing, and you could explain me how to improve.

I know I can already do that, but only seeing mastered tricks kills my confidence at showing how bad I am :rofl:

5 Likes

I wish I did!

How many of those collabs happened before that whole incident? Probably not as many as I’d like…

What are we talking about here???

6 Likes

Yoooo! Good discussion here! Two things that I’ve invested enough energy in to say that I’m kinda serious about them but are both infected by shiny new object acquisition syndrome (aka SNOAS) are yoyoing and music making. In both cases there is indeed a good balance between getting new tools that inspire the DOING (yoyoing or making music), but not too many new tools where just getting things becomes the end goal itself. So it’s the same for me, where I have to pump the brakes on SNOAS in order to focus on leveling up my abilities by setting some specific goals for myself.

Also, in the defense of what typically happens in discussions online and whatnot, it is easy to discuss the tangible objects (yoyos, musical instruments, etc) but more difficult to communicate, in words or even in video, the minutiae of the practice of using these things. When it comes down to it, a lot of the action occurs in what jazz musicians would call “woodshedding”, where you are practicing alone. Watching a video of someone practicing provides me so little enjoyment compared to practicing myself, for example. This is not to say there is not a lot of value in tutorials and video sharing and whatnot, just that I could watch a million videos or read a million posts but they wouldn’t help me in my yoyoing nearly as much as just throwing the yoyo!

6 Likes

learning someone else’s made-up tricks to achieve points in someone else’s competition on their arbitrary point and rating system is not going to and will NEVER make me happy. trying to figure out what ‘industry leaders’ are doing, or wasting time fighting with them about it will get you nowhere, and will definitely not change their minds.

if you waste your time focused on what other people in it for, you’re never going to enjoy yourself. if you waste your time trying to change other people, you’re not going to be able to make a change in your environment - and therefore your experience.

10 Likes