General Yoyo Thoughts

@Yo-yoislife @eternalmetal how short of string are each of you playing? I’ve been thinking about trying shorter string as well. Right now with yo-yo touching the floor my string comes to belly button.

Previously i was playing right below the sternum, but now belly button length plus or minus an inch. I now realize that i was playing with an expert slack enthusiast string length. I could go shorter if i were focusing on speed, tech, or horizontal. Gonna stick to the middle for now.

4 Likes

My usually measure my string to reach my bellybutton as well. I noticed that if I go any shorter, tech tricks become impossible.

2 Likes

The difference is that im 6’ tall, and ive seen your vids and you are definitely shorter. This is why suggested string length even when telling beginners is up to discussion.

1 Like

Yeah I understand that. I’m 5"5 and I’m PROUD!!!

2 Likes

My neighbors young son was excited about the $1 yoyo he got out of the treasure chest at YMCA camp. I gave him a Spinstar and I gave his dad a Fizz and went through some basics. The lady next door saw this and told her 24 year old son and he asked to see my yoyos. I showed him some and explained about the kind of yoyos I use. He was seriously interested. In 45 minutes he was doing binds, front mount, split bottom mount, and learning brain twister. Every few days we will throw together outside. He’s pretty enthusiastic. He watches yoyos videos and is getting smoother. I try to nudge him to develop good throwing habits and towards what tricks helped me develop because they are good building blocks. I want him to find his own path so I hang back to a point and let him do whatever excites him. He is enamored with binding.

18 Likes

awesome man, awesome :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

If a yoyo is MIB, why is it out of its packaging? How is it “practically never used”? Comics and toys that are in MIB, truly are. So why are we using misleading labels?

8 Likes

i’ve generally stopped using the term nmtbs, because it’s seemed to have been stretched a bit at times. nm no damage for me encompasses an accurate description if it is so…

7 Likes

My interpretation of these terms would be:

• Mint in Box means the yoyo comes with its original packaging (usually a box) and is indistinguishable in all ways from a yoyo that’s never been removed from said packaging.
  • Practically never used means the yoyo was played so minimally as to be indistinguishable from MIB, but was played nonetheless. This is simply a nod towards full disclosure.
  • NMTBS means the seller has not examined the yoyo closely/carefully enough to verify whether it qualifies as “mint” (i.e., indistinguishable from “new, unopened”) or not. Usually this is used to cover one’s butt in the event a buyer’s personal grading system doesn’t perfectly match one’s own.

Since, as far as I know, there is no official yoyo grading system, everyone is left to their own terminology and interpretations of such. Consequently, nobody is using misleading labels, per se, they are simply using labels that match their headcanon.

4 Likes

I understand these statements fully. But I still feel that MIB is a specific description of “unopened from factory”. Maybe “mint w/box, thrown once over carpet, still as it was from the manufacturer”.
I do not feel that any posts of MIB have presented there products incorrectly, as everyone here seems to be very detailed in the representation.:+1:
I just wish we had a better wording for it.

2 Likes

I just should have picked a better word than misleading.
My apologies.:gift_heart:

Sure, and that makes just as much sense as my definition. However, in the absence of an officially endorsed/accepted definition for the entire community, your definition competes with mine and every other definition out there for legitimacy, meaning none of them really matter for squat.

1 Like

I submit to your logic @zslane. Much respect.

1 Like

for future reference

4 Likes

and this

https://yo-yos.net/grading-scale/

3 Likes

I feel like Luckys scale should have ended with a broken one labelled dead.:grin:

2 Likes

Thanks @zslane and @fatguysnacks247, I love it when a conversation stays constructive and informative.

I love the opposite too, but for the absolute wring reasons!:smiling_imp:

tranquilo Mateo

1 Like

Still experiencing massive yoyo apathy, more so than any other time since I got back into it at Xmas 2017, I’m not giving up as I know the flame will get rekindled at some point but right now just not feeling it at all.

6 Likes

It happens. Don’t sweat. It’s Yoyo Burnout.

1 Like