Fixed Axle Friday Throws

In your first picture, it looks like the axle is not screwed far enough I to the right half. Loosen the cap, screw the axle in a little further, then tighten the cap up again. That might fix it.

4 Likes

In my current Top 5 is this TMBR Maple Sullivan and I have it set up with a 516 Maple axle as well, laced today with some YYF bulk cotton, the same stuff that comes on the Legend Wings. TMBRs can be finicky at times, I find that lining up the walls flush with the axles first then tighten the set screws is best, I’ll get a click if the axle is under the wall and recessed in the threads. Lining them up just takes a little patience and feel from experience which becomes the reward.

17 Likes

That is a very clean looking yoyo.

3 Likes

The right half of the yoyo in this picture isn’t screwed in all the way. I got a TMBR second hand that originally had the same issue. It looks like you need to just unscrew the axle cap on the right side slightly so you can screw the yoyo half deeper onto the axle if that makes sense. You want the axle wall to be flush with the yoyo wall. This is just anecdotal from the single TMBR I’ve unscrewed, but the problem looks basically the same and doing that solved it for me. Hopefully this helps, tuning TMBRs is definitely an art.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve tried it both ways, flush and recessed, and it doesn’t really seem to make a huge difference because the axle is still the same width.

And @Glenacius_K, I can’t unscrew that side of the axle. Only the other side is able to be unscrewed. Are both of them supposed to be able to move? That would be news to me.

1 Like

Both sides will unscrew, they just get very very stubborn if you over tighten the axle cap and then screw it in all the way. There’s an axle cap on each side and then the center piece with the actual axle, so three pieces total. Once you get an axle cap off you can pretty easily get the axle out of each half. If one half is still being stubborn though and you need a better grip, I used a silicone pad that I use for getting lids off of glass jars if you have something like that.

1 Like

Ugh it’s on there so tight I’m afraid to break it. Let me go find a silicon pad and I’ll try to be gentle. Thanks for the tip, now that I know that it’s 3 pieces I can definitely try to “tune” it to preform how I like.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I did end up kind of mangling the cap a bit on the side that was really stubborn for me. I used a coin to unscrew the axle cap while gripping the yoyo half with the silicone pad. It’s just cosmetic since the threading the goes into the yoyo is fine, but it was a little bit of a bummer. TMBR sells replacement axles and caps on his website if you do end up having something unfortunate happen. His yoyos seem very durable though so I don’t think you have to worry about causing any serious damage.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s coming off guys… time to find a new Wood-z I guess. Anyone got any leads on where I can get one?

2 Likes

Oh man… sorry that happened. :pensive:

1 Like

:persevere: I’m really sorry that happened to yours. This can definitely be salvaged though, stripping the head of the cap isn’t the end of this yoyos life. I really wish there was a proper tool for removing the caps though. A thin split of wood that was cut to the perfect size to use as a screwdriver for it would be amazing, if something like that was included in TMBRs it would probably go a long way for helping people learn to tune them. Thin coins definitely work, but if the caps are super tight having something that actually fit into the entire gap would be so much better, so there wouldn’t be a chance of stripping the head.

3 Likes

Yeah I tried all different kinds of coins, guitar pick, other stuff like that but I think someone just screwed it on too tightly at one point. I know it’s not trash, I put it back together and it throws just fine so I’m gonna keep it obviously, just kinda sucks that I ruined the aesthetics while trying to take it apart. Partly my own fault for not being patient and maybe trying to think of a better plan lol. No biggie.

2 Likes

Rip in peace.

1 Like

I find using the blade of a butter knife works well for turning the caps, rather than a coin.

3 Likes

Colin probably won’t make something like that as it would add significant labour time.

What would be great is if a community member with the know-how could come up with a 3D print file for such a tool.

5 Likes

Good idea, this may have worked before I mangled the slit (no innuendo intended). It’s leverage that’s the problem. Coin fits well into the space but you just don’t have leverage to torque on it enough to get it to come undone.

2 Likes

Colin (TMBR) may be happy to give you a relacement if you contact him.

3 Likes

Keeping it simple with a BC Classic…

7 Likes

To everyone who has tmbr yoyos

I made a purchase a while back on aliexpress on a balisong trainer/comb and it’s the only thing I use on my caps now. The end of it is the perfect thickness and width for the caps. I feel as though I now have no risk of slipping or damaging the caps (assuming it’s centered correctly). The discovery has been a game changer for me so I figured I’d share.

To be clear, I got this to play with, it just so happened to work XD

Also. I just realized there are multiple options. I purchase the ss comb

Last edit…this is not good for hair, I tried lol

US $2.78 40%OFF | Beginner Butterfly Knife Seven-Hole Butterfly Practice Knife Training Knife All-Steel Butterfly Comb Blade Butterfly Knife

5 Likes

Throwing this big ol’ honker from @aironish with a butterfly for scale.

15 Likes